Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Hmm--well now that Andrew has confirmed IKK for the 10 "priority" as capacity controlled, I might use next year to just liquidate as many of my Aeroplan points as I can and not spend anything on AC. Then what? Who knows--waiting for further "enhancements" . . .
I did that this year - Mrs. TD and I redeemed about 1.7 million AP miles. I think we're both in the 5% that exceeded 10 priority rewards/year. We'll both be SE again next year though. 2015 was going to be the year that we investigated BA - we've got a cheap YYZ-LHR-CPT in J that will get us Silver status by the end of March. I was able, with no status, to upgrade the YYZ-LHR legs to F with BA points. I haven't flown long-haul BA so am looking forward to the comparison.

Really not sure what to do next year. Dropping YQ for international flights will make it very tempting to redeem AP points for those flights. And if I do a lot of that, I won't make SE next year. I'm MM, so I'll get a soft landing of E50 (which is very soft now.) Mrs. TD is within 200k of MM so maybe it will make sense for her to retain SE for another couple of years to get MM while I use her points and IKK.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Crediting to UA while using AC benefits?

As a result of the recent changes, I'm going to move my business over to United, but as I've worked hard in C2014 to earn 2015 AC E50 I'd like to use those benefits while I'm flying UA in C2015 earning (hopefully) status with UA for 2016.

Has anyone figured out the logistics of how that works?

For example, if I'm flying YVR -> ORD -> MIA then I'll need my AC number on the BP to get the privileges, both at YVR and en-route at ORD (lounges, early boarding) but then I won't earn United MileagePlus miles.

I've heard you can just flash your card but with conflicting numbers on your bookings I've heard that's a problem...? (AC on card, MP on boarding pass with no "Premier Access" displayed?)

I know I could attempt a Status Challenge, but most of my earning is in Q2 and Q3 so that likely wouldn't work.

Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:21 am

No choice but to leave. Either M+,DL or AS currently trying to determine the best fit. I fly transborder out YEG. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AC*75K, Hhonors Diamond
Leaving. Trying to decide between status matching oneword/skyteam or going to UAMP.

What do you think? E75 right now.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by gglave
As a result of the recent changes, I'm going to move my business over to United, but as I've worked hard in C2014 to earn 2015 AC E50 I'd like to use those benefits while I'm flying UA in C2015 earning (hopefully) status with UA for 2016.

For example, if I'm flying YVR -> ORD -> MIA then I'll need my AC number on the BP to get the privileges, both at YVR and en-route at ORD (lounges, early boarding) but then I won't earn United MileagePlus miles.

I've heard you can just flash your card but with conflicting numbers on your bookings I've heard that's a problem...? (AC on card, MP on boarding pass with no "Premier Access" displayed?)
I'm E50 this year, but started crediting to M+ mid-year. I've always have the M+ number on my boarding pass ever since, but the Aeroplan *G card gets me into any *A lounge. When flying AC (rarer these days) I priority boarded by flashing my Aeroplan card, and had no problems. When flying UA, I just sucked it up until I hit 25K, at which point you get premier access.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold

I know I could attempt a Status Challenge, but most of my earning is in Q2 and Q3 so that likely wouldn't work.

Thanks.
See my post a little further up the thread. United is not in the practice of status matching others within the *Alliance. On occasion, I have seen some with success. Just remember, that you can only status match once, so choose wisely.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Left in 2012. Now fly WestJet on domestic, Delta for transborder, and either Delta or Skyteam partners internationally. No regrets whatsoever. I'm traveling more but spending less, and am generally treated better all the way around.

The only flying on AC or Star Alliance these days comes from burning off my remaining Errorplan balance. And with their crappy availability and ridiculous charges, that hasn't been easy!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP

Thanks.
We have direct experience having done so this year but not necessarily smooth.
My observations.

1 AC agents , at least in TQR and YYZ are unable or unwilling to enter 2 numbers, even when I printed directions from a kind FTer and showed them step by step how to do it.
2. UA and TG had no problems at all and did so with a smile in about 15 seconds.
3. Copa couldn't despite spending a long time trying. Outsourced UA staff, such as at LAX couldn't.
4. Even with a non status UA number on our BP NEVER had a problem getting lounge access or priority boarding by flashing the card.
5. If not checking in directly with UA or another airline that can / will change you either credit to AC or pay for baggage.
6. Our solution, given that my wife and I travel together and she is AC50K too was we put her number on her BP to get the bags and then head to the first UA lounge, where they happily change it back. If before the journey is complete all miles credited to UA, including early legs with the AC#.
7.The only other problem we have had was on a multistage trip on the same UA ticket but with an extended layover. Canada-US -UK on UA all as described above and credited to UA. 4 segments on OS from LHR-VIE-LCA and back in paid J all credited to AC despite the fact that we checked in with our UA number and bought the segments through UA. OS picked up the change to AC on Mrs Fizzer's earlier UA segments and despite entering the UA# at LHR and again at LCA credited to AC. This makes Mrs Fizz just short of *G with UA. OS is trying to get AC to credit the miles back as they have acknowledged it was their mistake but apparently AC/AP not cooperating. Still under review. In reality, unless she has an unexpected bereavement with either myself or a family member she is probably not going to travel alone next year so she can ride my coat tails just like I did hers this year.
8. Unable to access MLL in YQR unless with Mrs F as entry is by swiping your AC card or BP only. Therefore denied access even when flying on a *A flight. If you've ever seen YQR's MLL it was no loss because it's overcrowded with 6 people.
Anyway that summarizes our experience.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:44 pm

May be other domestic travellers can help me out here to make a decision.

Will have 78 segments mainly between all of the western centres and YYZ; so E75 until Feb 2016. Staying (I think) because the WS Gold is still not good enough to switch to, not until they join an alliance anyway. Will likely put $6k into WS during 2015 to hedge my bet though, now there is a perfect excuse to save myself from those bone jarring DH1/DH3 trips; all of my YEG-YYC, YEG-YMM, YYC-YLW (those 200 miles segments) will go to WS now. AC will lose that much from me for sure in 2015 because of the cancellation of the 500 miles minimum.

Any advice from the veterans here?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
Originally Posted by ddonohoe
I'm E50 this year, but started crediting to M+ mid-year. I've always have the M+ number on my boarding pass ever since, but the Aeroplan *G card gets me into any *A lounge. When flying AC (rarer these days) I priority boarded by flashing my Aeroplan card, and had no problems. When flying UA, I just sucked it up until I hit 25K, at which point you get premier access.
Agreed..once you earn *G, and get the card (from UA or AC), just flash it if you are collecting for another airline. ONCE, after a LONG SYD <> SFO flight, I swtich from M+ to AP to get and use and upgrade from SFO to YYZ..

And yes, "Boarding Group 5" on United sucks until you fianlly make it to 50K or 75K.. Enjoy M+
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Staying up to 100k and then taking my further 150k elsewhere. Likely Qatar.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I just looked at WJ, and I did notice that booking PLUS fares across Canada (domestic) is actually Flex costs on AC + $100/$200. Hmm. I didn't know that until someone on my team just pointed it out. Just thought i'd share. Still sticking with AC for now though.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Fizzer
We have direct experience having done so this year but not necessarily smooth.
My observations.

1 AC agents , at least in TQR and YYZ are unable or unwilling to enter 2 numbers, even when I printed directions from a kind FTer and showed them step by step how to do it.
2. UA and TG had no problems at all and did so with a smile in about 15 seconds.3. Copa couldn't despite spending a long time trying. Outsourced UA staff, such as at LAX couldn't.
4. Even with a non status UA number on our BP NEVER had a problem getting lounge access or priority boarding by flashing the card.
5. If not checking in directly with UA or another airline that can / will change you either credit to AC or pay for baggage.
6. Our solution, given that my wife and I travel together and she is AC50K too was we put her number on her BP to get the bags and then head to the first UA lounge, where they happily change it back. If before the journey is complete all miles credited to UA, including early legs with the AC#.
7.The only other problem we have had was on a multistage trip on the same UA ticket but with an extended layover. Canada-US -UK on UA all as described above and credited to UA. 4 segments on OS from LHR-VIE-LCA and back in paid J all credited to AC despite the fact that we checked in with our UA number and bought the segments through UA. OS picked up the change to AC on Mrs Fizzer's earlier UA segments and despite entering the UA# at LHR and again at LCA credited to AC. This makes Mrs Fizz just short of *G with UA. OS is trying to get AC to credit the miles back as they have acknowledged it was their mistake but apparently AC/AP not cooperating. Still under review. In reality, unless she has an unexpected bereavement with either myself or a family member she is probably not going to travel alone next year so she can ride my coat tails just like I did hers this year.
8. Unable to access MLL in YQR unless with Mrs F as entry is by swiping your AC card or BP only. Therefore denied access even when flying on a *A flight. If you've ever seen YQR's MLL it was no loss because it's overcrowded with 6 people.
Anyway that summarizes our experience.
^Many thanks for this detailed correspondence. I sent you a PM. One question related to #2 - Does that agent have to enter the numbers or is this something you can do on-line in your reservation?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM
Staying.

I am SE and most of my points are earned flying in J class to HKG and LHR although I also do about 10-12 segments in NA each year. The biggest change for me is the elimination of YQ that was my biggest beef about AE - having to pay $800 in YQ on a return YYZ-LHR. Assuming that the availability of seats, espceially J class, doesn't change then I am saving about $2k per year. That outweighs the ability to eUp on short haul flights in NA - in long haul I am already in J.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Evalyuating my options (first time ever)

Will almost certainly stick with Star alliance at least until WS joins one of the others. Over the next few months will decide whether to:
  • Stick with AC/AE and continue with similar spending habits despite this rogering
  • Stick to AC but not worry about SE (I have MM so will always have at least E50), booking business trips in Tango and use IKK for vacations
  • Move to Mileage Plus, becoming 1K there (either with Status Match or the painful way), domestic flying AC, international moving gradually over to UA (after using up eUpgrades)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.