Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:18 am

Already left. BAEC Gold. Happy.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by bt_yyz
Why only 3000 miles on TPAC? I will still be flying AC ex-YYZ or CA ex-YVR (not UA). My fare class was (and expected to be): Tango W, G, S.
it would be foolish to assume AC Tango will continue to earn 100%, as partner earning tables haven't been released yet.

PQMs are still earned by distance, so they will continue to darn 15-20k status miles on UA metal. It's the RDMs that are taking a beating.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Leaving to UA M+.

What is the biggest thing that I will miss moving from A50K moving to UA P-Gold? Domestic US Lounges? (I'm planning to use A50K privileges in 2015 while earning on M+.)
If any of your segments start or finish in Canada , or any location outside the US, you will have INTL emblazoned on your BP, and if a *G with UA/MP, will still have lounge access ( as far as I am aware and I'll find out next year when my AC*G expires). You will be out of luck on itineraries within the US only at this point. And as UA tends to announce any changes prior to the accumulation year you'll have lots of time to plan if things change.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
This is my first year getting Altitude status, so I'll stick around for 2015, but will not go out of my way to renew the status. I'm going to going to take AC if it's within Canada or a flight under 500 mils.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: UA MP Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
it would be foolish to assume AC Tango will continue to earn 100%, as partner earning tables haven't been released yet.

PQMs are still earned by distance, so they will continue to darn 15-20k status miles on UA metal. It's the RDMs that are taking a beating.
Yes, true. We should assume all FFPs will race to the bottom! (USE THOSE MILES!)

However, since UA has already posted their 2015 accrual rules, at the least M+ will be better than AP in 2015 to accrue *G status in 2016. If UA switches, then I'll have to re-examine again. But since my work destinations are relatively fixed, the cheapest flights are still *A for now.

I don't want to think TOO far ahead into 2016!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Fizzer
If any of your segments start or finish in Canada , or any location outside the US, you will have INTL emblazoned on your BP, and if a *G with UA/MP, will still have lounge access ( as far as I am aware and I'll find out next year when my AC*G expires). You will be out of luck on itineraries within the US only at this point. And as UA tends to announce any changes prior to the accumulation year you'll have lots of time to plan if things change.
I'm not too worried about US domestic lounges since domestic layovers usually aren't as long as int'l layovers. It's the killer 4-6 hour layover AFTER a 12-14 hour flight!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
Leaving to UA M+.

My flying is 80-90% TPAC/TATL ex-YYZ in AC Tango or *A partners. I can probably fit in 4 UA segments somewhere each year. (YYZ-IAD or YYZ-EWR return.)

I just checked my 2014 flights and I would have earned more mileage (same *G) on UA than M+. I only used my eUp twice in 2014 compared to 6 times in 2013, and that will reduce with the eUp changes.

I will miss the MLL guest passes, but since my co-workers and family also fly int'l it wasn't too useful for them either.

What is the biggest thing that I will miss moving from A50K moving to UA P-Gold? Domestic US Lounges? (I'm planning to use A50K privileges in 2015 while earning on M+.)

Slightly off topic, but I'm going to switch too and plan on using my Gold benefits for priority check in, bag, boarding etc. I remember reading a post a long time ago that you can credit to United, but have your AP# on another line so your gold benefits are recognized. If anyone has some insight, would greatly appreciate it. I have no problem waiving my Gold Card, but the United Club is starting to turn you away (isolated reports) if the FF# on your card is not your gold number as there is a charge back. If you board out of order -let’s say your boarding group is 4 and you board with 2, the machine actually beeps that you’ve boarded out of order. I’ve witnessed this first hand (actually a good practice). Any helpful tips are appreciated.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by CARose
Slightly off topic, but I'm going to switch too and plan on using my Gold benefits for priority check in, bag, boarding etc. I remember reading a post a long time ago that you can credit to United, but have your AP# on another line so your gold benefits are recognized. If anyone has some insight, would greatly appreciate it. I have no problem waiving my Gold Card, but the United Club is starting to turn you away (isolated reports) if the FF# on your card is not your gold number as there is a charge back. If you board out of order -let’s say your boarding group is 4 and you board with 2, the machine actually beeps that you’ve boarded out of order. I’ve witnessed this first hand (actually a good practice). Any helpful tips are appreciated.
A good tip I heard (haven't tried) is to have your original *G FFP on the itinerary file and then change your FFP with the GA. That way you can have all the benefits UNTIL you board the plane. It also easier than retroactively switching mileage accruals.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: *$ Green
It seems to me like a lot of this stress comes from the fact that people feel a "need" to re-qualify at the same/higher level from their previous year.

Why aren't FF's just focusing on who provides the best servicerice ratio, measure that against what they might need during the year, and take it from there?

It seems like FF programs generate a lot more angst then needed... Freaking out about loosing status. Making huge detours in trips to get to that extra level. All for what really?

It's like people playing online games, where the chase to status is infinite. Play the game, and don't let the game play you.

Just a thought.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
It seems to me like a lot of this stress comes from the fact that people feel a "need" to re-qualify at the same/higher level from their previous year.

Why aren't FF's just focusing on who provides the best servicerice ratio, measure that against what they might need during the year, and take it from there?

It seems like FF programs generate a lot more angst then needed... Freaking out about loosing status. Making huge detours in trips to get to that extra level. All for what really?

It's like people playing online games, where the chase to status is infinite. Play the game, and don't let the game play you.

Just a thought.
For me, I only do domestic. By achieving the next rung of status (if close, i'll do a MR), one used to get a substantially higher increase in value. 75K's have more eups, i'd get threshold eups all the way up and i can upgrade higher than anyone except 100K's and MM's.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:27 am
Suspended

Strategy

I am cancelling 4 reservations for Nov-Mar (TPAC high upgradeable fares) for myself and 1 for my wife. We already qualified for SE, so I'll collect her and my 70 eUPS but no more thresholds (they are basically going away as of Jan 1).

I'll keep her flying and support her SE status using my own eUPs I banked.

For myself, I will use the existing Diamond Status on CX which expires in March, and shift the three TPACs to CX, which as of that time will afford me Diamond based on 60K miles per year. At $5K TPAC round trip in PAID BUSINESS, it's $15K per year for me to hold Diamond and I don't have to go the 6 times I have to travel now to maintain SE.

On the odd occasion I will continue to fly AC I still have SE until Feb 2016 and after that remain on my E50K.

Perfect, AC, you have lost yourself at least $30K in revenue, and where I would have sprung for a couple of paid biz fares (some AC some UA) before to preserve my eUPs. No more crap about booking separate tickets from HKG to BKK (because TG and AC can't seem to get along), and in the end it will be more relaxing, and cheaper, with F lounge CX access and *G lounge access on my CX Diamond.

Thanks and good bye.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
By achieving the next rung of status (if close, i'll do a MR), one used to get a substantially higher increase in value.
Would you agree that this could easily fall under the definition of an 'arbitrage opportunity'?

And if yes, would you agree that a "nerf" to the benefits given and/or how they can be reached was to be expected?

Any self-respecting business would not continue a rewards program if the cost-benefit was negative. Most would not (and arguably should not) continue reward programs if the profit associated to running it does not yield significant income, as it becomes more of a burden than anything.

Why reward frequent flyers, if they become less profitable than a normal casual flyer after the cost of their benefits has been factored in?

I guess all I am really saying is that all this stress in unwarranted, and people should not be surprised with the changes when there is a plethora of threads on how to game the system (which are monitored by AC).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Not leaving just wont make any effort towards status...

....I've always been a 35K-60K year flyer, and as the benefits dwindled so did my AC flights.
Now I could care less if I even make E 25.
These recent "enhancements" are that nail after 16 years of sometimes taking an extra flight or a trip that maybe could have waited until next year.
All of that is done.
But if AC offers the best sched or price they will get my business, if not then they wont.
I just booked my first WJ flight ever today so we shall see how that goes.

Starwood on the other hand offered me lifetime platinum status for my loyalty and thus get about 85% of my bookings (it would be 100% but their properties aren't everywhere I travel).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HomerJ
....I've always been a 35K-60K year flyer, and as the benefits dwindled so did my AC flights.
Now I could care less if I even make E 25.
These recent "enhancements" are that nail after 16 years of sometimes taking an extra flight or a trip that maybe could have waited until next year.
All of that is done.
But if AC offers the best sched or price they will get my business, if not then they wont.
I just booked my first WJ flight ever today so we shall see how that goes.

Starwood on the other hand offered me lifetime platinum status for my loyalty and thus get about 85% of my bookings (it would be 100% but their properties aren't everywhere I travel).
SPG is the one of the few reasons that I am still even going to fly next year. Their FF program is hands down not only the best (for my travels) but continues to improve.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

I guess all I am really saying is that all this stress in unwarranted, and people should not be surprised with the changes when there is a plethora of threads on how to game the system (which are monitored by AC).
I don't game the system actually. (at all.). And yes, I do agree and have said so, 50K for me max. 35K for me min next year. I only fly AC domestic and I only do J rewards. So I guess really all I need is 35K next year. Thanks for making me reevaluate that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.