Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Already "left" in two senses. Never cared about AE anyway. No longer care about status unless it falls in my lap (as with BA Silver this year) and will make no special effort of obtain/retain it.

But AC is still OK in the air and is often the most rational choice for any given itinerary given that I live 10min away from YYZ, so I haven't "left" in that sense.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Leaving.

Going to take my calendar 2015 business to United.

(They have the most extensive route network out of YVR. One hub-stop to pretty much anywhere.)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:48 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Staying, although I do take a slight offence to the "AC is perfect for you" remark. In 2014, there are no perfect airlines, just ones that best fit your needs, or offer the least compromises. The term 'least objectionable' springs to mind, but after flying the US legacies, I'll admit I like AC a lot.

Could never use eUps, so a bunch of them will die with me. Already at or near the 50% metal condition. Honestly, the changes don't affect me that much.

I had to fly DL once last year (someone put a gun to my head), no priority anything, had to pay for luggage, no lounge, etc. Not sure I could go back to flying like that and I can't afford flying J save for a few TPAC/TATL trips where I splurge.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Staying. The elimination of 500 mile minimum hurts badly, but I don't want to drive to YYZ when traveling east. If WS would join an alliance (don't care which) and start Encore flights between YXU and YYZ (or YUL for that matter), I'd definitely consider switching.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Staying....but don't really care about Altitude (or any other program for that matter) any longer.

Any aspiration of MM status (just crossing over 700K) has now evaporated.

My CC spend is already gone - moved to SPG Amex and RBC Avion. I suspect that airline neutral cards like Avion will see much more activity in the future.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Can anyone help me decide? I used to fly at lot for work and was Elite few times but the past 3 yrs I haven't. But next year I will be flying quite a bit, well 35-50k area and it will be more personal travel mostly to FRA and once maybe to Asia maybe HK or Phils. My home airport is YYZ.

Currently I have a Europe FP and if I go to Asia I will fly most likely PE to maximized the miles. So far I've been flying on AC Metal.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Hmm--well now that Andrew has confirmed IKK for the 10 "priority" as capacity controlled, I might use next year to just liquidate as many of my Aeroplan points as I can and not spend anything on AC. Then what? Who knows--waiting for further "enhancements" . . .
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:18 am

Absolutely staying. Upgrade change hurts, but that is easily offset by the YQ waiver for SE. Combined with 50% of my flying being within Canada and it's an easy choice.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS
Staying until my status expires in February 2016, but my frequent flying ends in early 2015, so I wouldn't requalify even if I wanted to.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Was a lowly E35K last year and will barely requalify for 2015 (thank you, Tango fares!). I don't see any point in staying with AE and will leave if I find something else.

Flying internationally from YQB, I don't have many options. AC will take me to YYZ or YUL and UA can take me to EWR for international connections. So pretty much stuck with *A.

Are LH or UA FF programs any better for someone flying 35-50k per year?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA MP Platinum
LEAVING!

Leaving to UA M+.

My flying is 80-90% TPAC/TATL ex-YYZ in AC Tango or *A partners. I can probably fit in 4 UA segments somewhere each year. (YYZ-IAD or YYZ-EWR return.)

I just checked my 2014 flights and I would have earned more mileage (same *G) on UA than M+. I only used my eUp twice in 2014 compared to 6 times in 2013, and that will reduce with the eUp changes.

I will miss the MLL guest passes, but since my co-workers and family also fly int'l it wasn't too useful for them either.

What is the biggest thing that I will miss moving from A50K moving to UA P-Gold? Domestic US Lounges? (I'm planning to use A50K privileges in 2015 while earning on M+.)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by bt_yyz
Leaving to UA M+.

My flying is 80-90% TPAC/TATL ex-YYZ in AC Tango or *A partners. I can probably fit in 4 UA segments somewhere each year. (YYZ-IAD or YYZ-EWR return.)

I just checked my 2014 flights and I would have earned more mileage (same *G) on UA than M+. I only used my eUp twice in 2014 compared to 6 times in 2013, and that will reduce with the eUp changes.

I will miss the MLL guest passes, but since my co-workers and family also fly int'l it wasn't too useful for them either.

What is the biggest thing that I will miss moving from A50K moving to UA P-Gold? Domestic US Lounges? (I'm planning to use A50K privileges in 2015 while earning on M+.)
You may want to reexamine the new MP. You won't be happy earning 3000 miles for a TPAC.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Left. Splitting my modest spend between Turkish and Delta.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by maradori
Are you going to stay with AC superangrypenguin? If not, what are your plans?
I'll be staying for 2015, hopefully will be out of all FF by 2016. I have no real alternative as I fly only domestically.

Before I commented a ton, I wanted to sleep on it, and now I have. Many of you know that I'm a "so called" AC apologist, and maybe it's because as a kid, I was blessed to fall in love with aviation and to have the oppty to fly to many places. AC was our family's airline of choice and ages ago I remember when we left TPE, my dad made a comment about how awesome it felt being back to Canada the second he boarded the AC flight. (he's no FF). Having grown up in Canada, I remember airlines like Harmony where I couldn't afford to sit in J on AC but I could in Harmony but I still missed AC (I know, right?). The feeling of seeing the maple leaf internationally still brings me a sense of pride. I took that and when I started my job, I was proud to be an elite member with AC. I can recite the safety video in English and French (I don't speak French, either)

When AC reps came on FT and many on FT chose to launch personal attacks, I have defended them and will continue to do so. They aren't execs (except for Ben S) and some come on their personal time. Truly appreciated. I'm so very thankful that the other thread (while many complaints are there and justified, there aren't any personal attacks against Ben/Andrew). I think many labeled me as an AC apologist. I'd like to think I'm more of a Ben/Andrew apologist as some of it, is pure bullying. Now, I'd like to think my head is squared on straight, so:

Having said that, all I see in the airline space is a race to the bottom. I get the business reasons why AC devalued the FF. I understand that it may prove fruitful. Having said that, I don't have to partake in it. My company only pays Flex (which I know is a pretty sweet deal in it of itself for domestic travel), but I have truly appreciated (or even been spoiled) by the upgrades i've had the last few years. To know that i'm gutted for next year is a tough pill to swallow. Essentially my most recent MR to 75K again was a waste of money. Unlike most of you, I have only one airline to really pick from - AC. I have no bitter feelings, but I know, this race is not one that this Penguin wants to partake in. Since I have no opptys to fly internationally and only domestic, i'll be out as soon as I burn my eups (hopefully), or i'll be out in 2015.

It was a good ride, made a lot of friends on FT and will continue posting, but (just like commuting to Toronto is a no no for me), frequent flying at the back of the bus = i'm hopefully out soon.

I'll admit I looked at WJ's value proposition for me. If they offered upgrades to the front, i'd probably switch. But alas, they do not, so pound per pound, AC's Altitude value still brings more (and AC knows that), so i'll stick around, for now. But like many of you, yesterday (and for me today), was a terrible day as a FF. Even if i'm stuck in my current job next year, I will not want to exceed 50K.

2015 = use up all eups. Enjoy SPG 75. Then out. (hopefully).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA MP Platinum
Only 3000?

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You may want to reexamine the new MP. You won't be happy earning 3000 miles for a TPAC.
Why only 3000 miles on TPAC? I will still be flying AC ex-YYZ or CA ex-YVR (not UA). My fare class was (and expected to be): Tango W, G, S.

From http://www.mileageplusupdates.com:
Tickets for flights operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline that aren’t issued by United (ticket numbers that don’t start with “016”) will still earn award miles based on distance flown and the purchased fare class.
In any case, TPAC ex-YYZ would be $1200-1500 r/t (based on my work's booking time frame, destination, etc.). Even if it's a UA 016 ticket, that would still be 6000-7000 PQM (if it's a UA 016 ticket) which is comparable to what I earned on AP given 50% accrual on Int'l Tango.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.