Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 pm

Now that I hardly ever travel on the company dime, it's a bit of a moot point (not really "going" anywhere), but a couple years ago already choose to run away as fast as I can from AE (aerogold, etc.) and drain my points.

Having a slower, long goodbye to AC. I'll see you occasionally, AC, but you're not giving me any reason to prefer you.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
STAYING, thinking of LEAVING.

Like AC/AE b/c can use IKK to fly my parents YYZ-LGA with minimal points vs other airlines, virtually guaranteed TATL/TPAC eUp on quiet days of the week. But I fly a lot of UA and use my CC for UA M+ accrual, so I may switch to go for UA 1K, even though there're way more of those out there and they don't have a concierge service.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Staying and thinking of leaving.

Most of my flights are long haul: transcon, TPAC, TATL, so the 500 mile change just means I shop around for shorter trips.

Increased income this year as well means that I will be looking for cheap P and Z fares for my TPAC, TATL needs. And/or Europe Latitude flight pass.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Staying for one year since I've almost finished requalifying for SE. Gonna bail January 2016
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by maradori
Staying for one year since I've almost finished requalifying for SE. Gonna bail January 2016
Leaving flying or leaving AC?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Actually coming back to AC...and DL for my YUL trips.

Fed up with nickel and dime Dougie's US-ification of AA and the decision to join the race to the bottom. $1.2B in Q3 profits is apparently not enough. By all means, destroy AA's excellent domestic catering and replace it with the joke that is US. With cheaper and more realistic NA premium cabin fares, who needs elite status anyway? In 2015, I'll buy based on convenience and price.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Probably Mrs ffly and me are leaving.

We've both been SE for quite a while and have just been booking AC blind in the last years whenever we were flying to North America (based out of PVG). Didn't even look at other airlines' fares.

We usually fly 2-3 trips per year AC long haul which amounts to 30k+ miles. Rest is done on other airlines (This year even four incl. one PVG-YVR-YYC-FRA-YYZ-PVG am at 62k miles with AC alone this year).

We've been very loyal to AC, but the 50k minimum for SE in combination with lower eUp earnings and higher eUp requirements kind of kills it for us.

Looking at LH/UA if we stay with *A (we fly almost as much to Europe) or even switch to CX. CX has nice offerings through HKG pretty much anywhere we fly and we can try to get a status match..

Still debating though.. we've both already qualified for SE next year.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: 1K
Leaving, and luckily I was able to status match my AA EXP to UA 1K; the card came in the mail a few weeks ago.

With my flying pattern and company preferred airlines that include special J fares to our most traveled destinations, there's no way I can even meet the 25K threshold.

There's no need for me to have AC status, or *G for that matter as my miles are collected flying intercontinental J, however, for personal reasons, it's very handy and 95% of my personal flying is between the US and Canada with a personal spend of around 5K.

The only benefit I've used that I can't get from other airlines is IKK but luckily I have another 16 months to burn the rest of my Aeroplan miles before losing my SE status for good. The run was good while it lasted and I posted in another thread, I suppose I'm the type of SE that AC is trying to weed out. I don't even care for eUpgrade credits.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Already left, UA M+.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
Actually coming back to AC...and DL for my YUL trips.

Fed up with nickel and dime Dougie's US-ification of AA and the decision to join the race to the bottom. $1.2B in Q3 profits is apparently not enough. By all means, destroy AA's excellent domestic catering and replace it with the joke that is US. With cheaper and more realistic NA premium cabin fares, who needs elite status anyway? In 2015, I'll buy based on convenience and price.
Dougie fuc*s everything up. I've seen the threads.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Already left for UA MP.

I still fly AC metal when it's convenient to do so, but there have been times I went a little out of my way to fly UA metal. There was a time when 100% of my spend went to AC but it's probably down to less than 15% now.

While UA 50K is arguably not that great a status, the ability to actually use UA miles for redemption along with the clear rules for upgrading make it a win for me.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I should add that in many ways I still like flying AC metal. There are occasional hiccups but that's true of any airline.

I truly don't mind AC. It's just that they have no loyalty program and seemingly no intent to try and cultivate loyalty from the frequent flier.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
I guess I'm not leaving but kinda feels like it!

Was a SE last year and will be in 2015 (thanks to a five day vacation in Europe in paid-J to put me over the top).

Based on these announcements I'll dramatically cut down my travel next year, use the remaining less valuable eUpgrades for my work-related Canadian travel, and once the upgrades are gone for the year I'll just be booking Tango (or other carriers).

I'll probably make E35 or maybe E50 but that would be a stretch.

As a positive I can spend more time at home and the gym.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I should add that in many ways I still like flying AC metal. There are occasional hiccups but that's true of any airline.

I truly don't mind AC. It's just that they have no loyalty program and seemingly no intent to try and cultivate loyalty from the frequent flier.
+1.

Same for me, I don't mind flying them at all, actually I do find their service on TPAC flights pretty good.

But all the loyalty we've put towards AC in the last years seems like its worth nothing to AC. So far we've been just booking AC without even comparing other airlines' fares for ALL our North American flights (we're currently based in PVG). Guess you could call that loyalty.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Already left as we were culled last year. No regrets whatsoever.Saw the writing on the wall with the enhancements in 2012 and 2013 and, as we were only ever humble E50s, jumped ship to UA/MP this year. Thought about it in 2013 but chickened out. Between Mrs Fizzer and myself we have shifted 130000 miles from AC to UA this year so far, Dropping the AE visa soon as well as we have no use for that either now. Heard the message from AC that they didn't value our custom loud and clear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.