Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
1) Has Altitude 2015 affected your travels with Air Canada? (e.g. did you book with other carriers as a result of the program changes?)
2) Are you spending more or less time in the back of the plane now?
3) Has your spend with AC gone up or down? (and was it a result of the Altitude 2015 changes?)
1) Yes. Took all my business to other carriers (United / Delta / WestJet). Other than one leg YVR - SEA, zero spend on AC. Took all my business elsewhere.

2) Always flew economy. Now flying Economy Plus on United at no extra charge, on a base fare. Have been upgraded to J on United on a couple of occasions as a lowly silver. No "eUpgrade credits" required.

3) Down to zero, 100% due to Altitude changes.

...and no, I didn't let the door hit me on the way out.

Have ZERO resentment towards AC. They changed their program, as was their right. I voted with my wallet, as was mine.

Last edited by gglave; Nov 20, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
My answer to SAP:

1) I will have travelled 15% further on AC this year, but will spend about 5% less to do so. I tripled my miles and spending on Star Alliance carriers compared to last year. I doubled my spending and miles with non-Star carriers.
2) More time in the back this year - about 15% fewer miles in J on AC 2015 vs. 2014, but as a percentage of distance dropped from 64% to 48%. Number of flights in J declined from 23 to 17. Impact will only be fully felt in 2016 since I was able to do some upgrades early in the year based on 2015 redemption rate.
3) AC Spend has gone down - as a direct result of the changes. Booked PE on ANZ for less than Flex on AC to Australia, booked more flights with competition when AC was higher priced and booked 50% more flights in Tango despite fewer AC segments since I could not justify the premium.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
1) No. Even though at this time last year I was going to try flying west jet and porter more. Nice thought.
2) more time up front. Even when still 75k I went from 1 op up in 2014 to at least 10 this year and every transborder flight since I crossed 100k a month ago (4 flights). I compare this to US based colleagues flying UA or DL and I have a higher frequency of op ups than they have of complimentary upgrades. Only once this year have I not had an eup clear.
3) AC spend has gone up primarly due to increased travel this year.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:23 pm

1) Yes - Other than 4 legs on AC (booked b4 changes) all travel now on star alliance or WS
2) More time up front (mostly paid)
3) Yes - $0 spend with AC this year all a result of 2015 changes

I concur with gglave's conclusion. AC made the decisions they had to and I made mine.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So it's now end of November, the Altitude 2015 year is almost over. Altitude 2015 was a huge kick in the rear when it came to devaluations, and many people were very angry at the cuts and said they would change their purchasing behaviors.

1) Has Altitude 2015 affected your travels with Air Canada? (e.g. did you book with other carriers as a result of the program changes?)
3) Has your spend with AC gone up or down? (and was it a result of the Altitude 2015 changes?)
1. No
2. More time in J, less time in Y
3. No

To elaborate, similar to last year, I have a bunch of upgrades that are going to expire unless I take a completely unnecessary trip or find a special friend to upgrade.

Due to the upgrade changes, every single one of my upgrades has cleared, which is a huge positive. Furthermore, J cabins are less full, so I often have an empty seat beside me on narrow bodies.

And on top of all that, the elimination of YQ on Aeroplan bookings on AC metal has saved me quite a bit of money (or prevented me from having to fly a connection on another airline).

I hope the 2016 changes are as good as the 2015 changes were.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

I choose to only answer:

2) I've been in J on every (minus 1) flight that offers J.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I choose to only answer:

2) I've been in J on every (minus 1) flight that offers J.
Ditto. The one I didn't end up in J on was already full in J when I bought it. Short haul anyway. E75.

I also spent less than the previous year to get SE status. Apart from the one above, all flights either booked J or upgrades confirmed at time of reservation.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Stranger
Ditto. The one I didn't end up in J on was already full in J when I bought it. Short haul anyway. E75.

I also spent less than the previous year to get SE status. Apart from the one above, all flights either booked J or upgrades confirmed at time of reservation.
mine was only a few weeks ago, YVR - YOW sadly, but was already sold out J when I booked.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Yes. 30% less. Just spent less time in an aluminum can, not more with other carriers.
More. 50% of the time (can't say it is 50% more because it was nearly 100% before).
Down. 30% less. 100% due to the changes.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
1. Yes. It has made me less inclined to stick to AC/*A. I've actually flown more miles on AC this year in absolute terms due to an increase in travel, but have spent a lot more time on other carriers, some *A, some not.

2. Not really, but a lot of my work travel is fairly last-minute, and I'll pick routings that allow me to upgrade, while a lot of personal travel is paid J. I've had to work harder at working the system (both AC's and my company's expense policies) to make this happen though.

3. I've had a massive increase in travel this year, so total spend might be up, but less than it would be if I had flown the same proportion of my travels on AC as I did last year.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

1. Yes, that and the introduction by WestJet of their status match and the related benefits of this status match (especially, most recently, the free upgrades to plus seating) have resulted in me flying WestJet more.

2. Less time in the back of the plane and the fact that, as an E50K AC won't offer unsold preferred seating at T-24 check in results in me being stuck much further back in the plane and, as a result, not being a very happy camper.

3. On balance, my spend may have gone up a bit with AC because my business travel increased considerably this year. But while the pie grew bigger, AC got a smaller slice and not the entire pie like they may have in years past.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Is anyone else concerned with the fact that last year, AC announced Altitude program changes in October and we've heard nothing so far? Does this mean HUGE (read highly devalued) program changes are being finalized and will be announced soon?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Is anyone else concerned with the fact that last year, AC announced Altitude program changes in October and we've heard nothing so far? Does this mean HUGE (read highly devalued) program changes are being finalized and will be announced soon?
I think that's what we're all thinking (see Altitude 2016 "Enhancement" Predictions).
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by capebretonboy

2. Less time in the back of the plane and the fact that, as an E50K AC won't offer unsold preferred seating at T-24 check in results in me being stuck much further back in the plane and, as a result, not being a very happy camper.
It's been a few years since i've been an E50K, but I seem to recall that E50Ks can snag a preferred seat at time of check in as per the Altitude 2015 program?

I'm confused.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's been a few years since i've been an E50K, but I seem to recall that E50Ks can snag a preferred seat at time of check in as per the Altitude 2015 program?

I'm confused.
On North American Flex fares.

But there's no distinction between check-in and booking. You're either entitled to it on the flight, or you're not, regardless of when you try.

I think amending the rules to allow free or even more discounted selection at check-in would be good for AC in terms of loyalty, although they might forgo revenue of people who would have otherwise paid for the seat, but would just wait if they know they can get it free at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.