Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Originally Posted by Allvest
Yes either of the two will do

Thanks for putting me straight
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton LTD, GE/Nexus
Satisfaction

There was something oh so satisfying about seeing no miles, no segments, and no particular distinctive qualities. Imagine the opposite. Keeping it that way!
Won't escape it all but a whole new horizon to look at.
How about those Juniors!!!!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by AC854
You have hit on my point - in past years I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that to achieve a given level there was a need to reach a mileage level AS WELL as a minimum # of AC segments. Am I to understand that the E50 / E75 or whatever levels are achieved if EITHER the mileage OR the segments are achieved.
It has always been X miles or Y segments to achieve Z status level.

AFAIK it has never been X miles and Y segments.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Our CEO is incentivized (to hell) for long term revenue and share price growth. There's no way we would treat our customers like AC does.
So are you saying that if I go back through the 10-K filings for your company for the periods from 2006 through 2012 when your company's share price sat in the doldrums for 7 years at roughly $25 per share, we'd find your CEOs hardly earned any bonus?

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 2, 2015 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev
It has always been X miles or Y segments to achieve Z status level.

AFAIK it has never been X miles and Y segments.

So are you saying that if I go back through the 10-K filings for your company for the periods from 2006 through 2012 when your company's share price sat in the doldrums for 7 years at roughly $25 per share, we'd find your CEOs hardly earned any bonus?
Current CEO...current. Last one had no stock bonus as part of his annual compensation

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jan 3, 2015 at 4:27 am
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by AC854
You have hit on my point - in past years I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that to achieve a given level there was a need to reach a mileage level AS WELL as a minimum # of AC segments. Am I to understand that the E50 / E75 or whatever levels are achieved if EITHER the mileage OR the segments are achieved.
While it is true that it is an OR situation, you still need a minimum number of miles OR segments on AC metal. Maybe that is where the confusion comes in. That number of minimum miles OR segments is substantially lower than the Elite level qualification miles or segments.

You could qualify for E50 with 50,000+ miles on a variety of Star airlines as long as you have 25+ segments OR 25000+ miles (new requirements for 2016 qualification, last year and 2013 substantially less--10k or 5 segments for all levels; and a long time ago--not required) on AC metal as well.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
So what are your guys' strategy on how to maximize eupgrades?

Burn them all (or as much as possible) before March 1st? Would you do this even on short haul Rapidair flights?

That's what i'm debating in my domestic travel. Burn them on the 1 hour flights or to keep em and upgrade on longer hauls but at a worse value than 2014...

My only other option which is panning out for me so far is buying H class fares every so often...
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold

Burn them all (or as much as possible) before March 1st? Would you do this even on short haul Rapidair flights?

That's what i'm debating in my domestic travel. Burn them on the 1 hour flights or to keep em and upgrade on longer hauls but at a worse value than 2014...
If you have e-ups expiring in March, then you might as well use them, even on Rapidair flights. Just think, you can see how many refills you can get on a 1 hour flight!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

My only other option which is panning out for me so far is buying H class fares every so often...
I am not using any until July/August. See if there is a summer promo. If not, then... might as well use them sooner than later.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Alas, all my eupgrades expire in 2016. Finished off CY2014 with 0 eupgrades.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:28 pm

I project how many I think I will need for personal travel and go from there. I typically do 2 TATL trips and 2-3 trips to the States.
I travel mainly within Ontario for work and on some routes that there is not a business class cabin. On my YOW-YYZ or YOW-YUL legs, I typically will upgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Alas, all my eupgrades expire in 2016. Finished off CY2014 with 0 eupgrades.
I have 100 that are all going to up in a puff of smoke (a burst of bytes?)...

My employer only buys Tango, so they're as worthless now as they were when I first earned them.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First, AA Gold
Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
I don't buy any of your grass is greener arguments, not just from ACMMSE but across the board. United Milage plus is going to a fare based accumulation. If one flys to Singapore they'll get less Milage plus miles even as the top of the top then the do flying AC. Yes you'd hit the top in 5 flights as a Canadian...

Flying Blue is just an epic disaster. Doesn't even come close to the devalued Altitude. Not to mention there are no lounges for me to use when I am flying domestically.

Same goes for any of the one world programs. If I was going to only fly to Asia AA might be the way to go....

Grass looks a lot greener. I think a lot of the other people posting here would agree. Unlimited US domestic upgrades on ANY flight on all of the US carriers. AC has downgraded their status as the best FF program in North America. As for Asia they could never touch the service or programs there...

Kind of an obscure example but I guess you're right KLM is kind of so so. But, the flight attendants and ground staff are pretty friendly and efficient... Last time I checked they are part of Sky Team.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AC MMSE
As for Asia they could never touch the service or programs there...
Asian FF programs definitely do not allow for easy upgrades...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AC MMSE
Unlimited US domestic upgrades on ANY flight on all of the US carriers.
This is mentioned a lot, but I recently discovered one of my friends is UA GS, and even her upgrade experiences aren't stellar.

And you don't have to read very far into the UA forum to find numerous examples of a 1K 26th on the list for an aircraft with ten seats.

Unlimited upgrades doesn't mean you'll sit up front on every flight, or even on any flight.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Academic
If you have e-ups expiring in March, then you might as well use them, even on Rapidair flights. Just think, you can see how many refills you can get on a 1 hour flight!
I got an upgrade yesterday for a YUL-YYZ flight. Spent 2h30 hours in the plane... good use of 4 expiring credits !
So in winter it could be useful...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.