Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 27, 15, 12:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mendy7511
Wiki Link
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 15, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
See the Pareto principle.
Yes. But who are the 20 percent who provide 80 percent of the profits. And is that the same 20 percent who use 80 percent of the eUPs and IKK redemptions?

Or is it more like 95/5 split in AC's case?
Old Jan 2, 15, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Allvest View Post
Nobody is playing games or gaming a system. ACsets and frequently resets the rules

We users simply try to access benefits advertised in large print by the likes of Aeroplan and being abused for doing it. That's not fair, nor right.

Most legitimately obtained aeroplan and upgrade tickets are at worst on an opportunity cost basis to AC and more likely a value proposition to them as we essentially prepay higher fares for the chance to upgrade. The odds are always with the house on the AC games. The few occasions where they lose, they come down on their customers like cops on a bunch of thieves. The real thievery is the deceptive advertising and misinformation given to the general flying public.

Even those flying other carriers... What do they cost AC? At most a Maple leaf worldwide club card is sold at $500. Likely 200$ to the cc companies. The cost of a few free checked bags? Isn't it around $20 per bag in North America?

I would guess that the senior executives actually don't even know the dynamics of most of their frequent fliers.
If you think no one is playing games, I have a bridge to sell you. Yes, AC sets the rules, but game player do effect everyone. Everytime a AC card holder enters a UA lounge, AC is charged $25 to $35 per visit, per person. So if you do a 3 segment run on UA, it directly cost AC $75 or more. What are the deceptive advertising and misinforming? I would guarantee AC senior executives understand their dynamics of their frequent flier program, along with the costs. They may not know all the loop holes, which they close over time. This is true will all companies.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jan 2, 15 at 10:58 am
Old Jan 2, 15, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse View Post
If you think no one are playing games, I have a bridge to sell you. Yes, AC sets the rules, but game player do effect everyone. Everytime a AC card holder enters a UA lounge, AC is charged $25 to $35 per visit, per person. So if you do a 3 segment run on UA, it directly cost AC $75 or more. What are the deceptive advertising and misinforming?
And UA members do the same as do all amongst the Star carriers. It evens out in the end.

And any non frequent flier can purchase a Maple Leaf Lounge membership or be given access on their credit card.

The point you brought up just now has nothing to do with gaming, and if it does, it's not applicable solely to the frequent flier group punished

AND WHY ARE SEGMENTS SO DETRIMENTAL TO THE BOTTOM LINE WHEN MOST AEROPLAN USERS CAN GET NOTHJNG BUT RIDICULOUS SEGMENT RUNS TO GET FROM A TO B???

Moreover, if an airline wants to eliminate segment runners why not just remove multiple stops from the itineraries offered?
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
See the Pareto principle.

Examples of the rule (from Wiki of course )

"80% of a company's complaints come from 20% of its customers"
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Or this AC SE customer:

1. Paid for a full Maple Leaf Club Worldwide Membership
(current price $665 or 81,000 miles)

2. Paid for this membership prior to becoming SE so as to have lounge access regardless of ticket or carrier.

3. Once becoming SE, was not given an option to choose an alternate privilege therefore $$$ wasted. The point being that the membership is available for sale as well as an earned benefit, yet those who buy it do not get an alternate offering)

4. Flies when necessary and no segments (it is what it is)

5. Never used IKK

6. Has not yet called a concierge

7. Is sitting with 100+ Upgrade Credits that will expire Feb 28.

Clearly, this customer is the loser as they have spent money for reduced benefits, are and are unable to use all of the credits by the expiry as they were mostly earned prior to the Nov 7/14 cutoff.

So while there are AC FFs or SEs or regular pax who do the segments runs (sometimes with little choice), there are many others like the customer here who are not able or have not yet used all of the services available.

IMHO, AC wins big time with a customer like this.

My question to which only AC knows the answer:
How many are customers like these and do their habits and usage offset the others.
Old Jan 2, 15, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Allvest View Post
And UA members do the same as do all amongst the Star carriers. It evens out in the end.

And any non frequent flier can purchase a Maple Leaf Lounge membership or be given access on their credit card.

The point you brought up just now has nothing to do with gaming, and if it does, it's not applicable solely to the frequent flier group punished

AND WHY ARE SEGMENTS SO DETRIMENTAL TO THE BOTTOM LINE WHEN MOST AEROPLAN USERS CAN GET NOTHJNG BUT RIDICULOUS SEGMENT RUNS TO GET FROM A TO B???

Moreover, if an airline wants to eliminate segment runners why not just remove multiple stops from the itineraries offered?
MLL memberships and credit cards(AC sponsored cards) only are good when you fly AC. Good question why AC does not stop segment runners. This would be easy to do by changing a segment to fare base from stops. This would leave AC with their true FF as top tier.
Old Jan 2, 15, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Huh? I was talking about long term incentive... Frequent flying programs can't be compared to in the software industry... Plus air Canada has always set the rules of the game...
Aren't you the one who brought up the comparison?

Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
Huh? How on earth does a SE cost AC money? The way I do the math, they make an incremental $10,000 to $12,000 in marginal income on my flying that they wouldn't otherwise (the delta between Tango and Flex fares over the course of a year). That is on top of whatever profit margin would be there for a Tango fare on the routes I fly. There is now way that I cost them that in benefits. Even if I redeem for international J travel that is still a marginal cost to them. So, pray tell, how do FF cost AC money?
My first year as SE, I spent $12000 to become SE. Not "marginal income that they wouldn't otherwise", and a lot of that went to UA.

There's another poster who said he spent $6000 to make SE, with almost all of that on UA.

2014 I spent a lot more than that, and almost all of it on AC.

But there are definitely ways to become SE without spending a lot of money. Or there were, before the new metal requirements.
Old Jan 2, 15, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Aren't you the one who brought up the comparison?
Fair point I was referring to long term executive compensation as the comparison, but darn it I can have my cake and eat it too
Old Jan 2, 15, 3:46 pm

Programs: *$ Green
There's another poster who said he spent $6000 to make SE, with almost all of that on UA.
I don't even get P25 with that spending................
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:04 pm

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I don't even get P25 with that spending................

I keep reading over and over but no real conclusion. In prior years there has been a minimum segment travel on AC - fair enough. But, as I see it, going forward the required minimum segments are way up so in my case I will likely travel YVR to SYD x 2 and YVR to LHR x 3 all in J. That will put me in the 75 bucket BUT with only 10 segments I end up with NOTHING for my over $50k spend. Way to go AC.

Last edited by AC854; Jan 2, 15 at 5:09 pm Reason: spell
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AC854 View Post
I keep reading over and over but no real conclusion. In prior years there has been a minimum segment travel on AC - fair enough. But, as I see it, going forward the required minimum segments are way up so in my case I will likely travel YVR to SYD x 2 and YVR to LHR x 3 all in J. That will put me in the 75 bucket BUT with only 10 segments I end up with NOTHING for my over $50k spend. Way to go AC.
or match to BA Gold and you could would up requalifying easily with just those flights you listed .....
(280x3 + 380x2) = 1500

I dont get it, people complain and complain, yet will run right back to AC - with much much better alternatives around.
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Huh? If you earn 75k AQM on AC metal, that's E75K. You need 37.5k miles OR 37 segments on AC metal to earn E75K.
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:50 pm

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Huh? If you earn 75k AQM on AC metal, that's E75K. You need 37.5k miles OR 37 segments on AC metal to earn E75K.

You have hit on my point - in past years I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that to achieve a given level there was a need to reach a mileage level AS WELL as a minimum # of AC segments. Am I to understand that the E50 / E75 or whatever levels are achieved if EITHER the mileage OR the segments are achieved.
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:57 pm
Suspended

You have hit on my point - in past years I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that to achieve a given level there was a need to reach a mileage level AS WELL as a minimum # of AC segments. Am I to understand that the E50 / E75 or whatever levels are achieved if EITHER the mileage OR the segments are achieved.
Yes either of the two will do
Old Jan 2, 15, 6:00 pm
Suspended

If these flight are in J, you are very closes to SE. You should have around 95K to 96K if flights are direct, if you are flying from YVR. If your are flying from YYZ, you should be around 98K.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: