Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
It is easier to keep a client than to get a client, and getting back a client is damn near impossible.
But I'm thankful. If AC/AE hadn't pissed me off so much I never would have made BA gold, and I quite like BA now. Mmmm, upper deck on a 747
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyeronac
Totally agree. I have lifetime spg platinum. I don't always get upgraded but the standard service is exceptional. And I nearly always feel that employees are genuinely grateful for staying 75-100 nights a year with SPG.

AC on the other hand - they don't even let you speak to a live person. Their customer service is based on email through the web site!

Without a doubt, AC sucks. As I said before, I think it is entirely because they have outsourced Aeroplan. They have no long term incentives, simply short term profits.

I have been growing frustrated with AC over the years but this takes the cake. They have truly institutionalize disrespect and animosity towards their biggest customers. They view their customers as expenses not revenue sources! Well hopefully they will cut back on all the expenses associated with lots of our revenue!

Most of all, announcing this right at the end of the year when we are trapped with them next year is utter bs. At least they could've had the balls to announce them a year in advance.

I hope we will all band together and go elsewhere. Screw them at AC!
I think their executive culture has had disdain for customers built in for ever. Remember, AC was a government organization in times when government wasn't really considered to be a service. these guys still have their heads in a different era.

It might be a lot easier if AC could charge us a fare to our destination and just have us log on to a virtual reality session. See. No expenses, no wines, no squeaky seats. And no complaints. Maybe AC should lobby the government for a monopoly on video conference services.

The whole discussion about so called personal attacks is ridiculous. Nobody called their reps any names. I have read nearly ALL posts including any which were deleted by mods for being off topic. Nobody was banned for stepping out of bounds afaik.

Ben S gave us purple tango. Red rouge. And now a wonderfully enhanced new Altitude. Is that a personal attack if one looks at the track record and uses adjectives such as boneheaded, arrogant, disdainful, disingenuous, foolish, etc etc? How do you describe a dumb act without being suspected of making a personal attack? However. Calling me a "bully" for taking on Ben L's spin is not a personal attack or somehow defamatory, and does not carry an implied thread? Ben as has my info and for better certainty I sent him my AP number. He has the power of a God on all matters concerning AC passengers.

I don't know the man. I frankly don't care (he doesn't care about his customers. Why should I care about him). It's a business transaction. Ben S is merely a FT account. Nothing more. Nothing less. Let's keep the love or hate fests out of this and keep allowing upset posters to express their frustration. Nobody called for a personal campaign against their person.

There are better ways to show how dumb the AC team's latest moves are. But I for one don't have the money or interest to take out a two page advertisement in the G&M.

If at least some of our less measured comments sparked a more heated debate then I think we achieved some victory against the AC spin machine.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by gglave
Meh.

Your girlfriend has dumped you. Forget her and move on. Go date someone else.
Or post pictures to Facebook with new (better) girlfriend
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by Allvest
I think their executive culture has had disdain for customers built in for ever. Remember, AC was a government organization in times when government wasn't really considered to be a service. these guys still have their heads in a different era.

It might be a lot easier if AC could charge us a fare to our destination and just have us log on to a virtual reality session. See. No expenses, no wines, no squeaky seats. And no complaints. Maybe AC should lobby the government for a monopoly on video conference services.

The whole discussion about so called personal attacks is ridiculous. Nobody called their reps any names. I have read nearly ALL posts including any which were deleted by mods for being off topic. Nobody was banned for stepping out of bounds afaik.

Ben S gave us purple tango. Red rouge. And now a wonderfully enhanced new Altitude. Is that a personal attack if one looks at the track record and uses adjectives such as boneheaded, arrogant, disdainful, disingenuous, foolish, etc etc? How do you describe a dumb act without being suspected of making a personal attack? However. Calling me a "bully" for taking on Ben L's spin is not a personal attack or somehow defamatory, and does not carry an implied thread? Ben as has my info and for better certainty I sent him my AP number. He has the power of a God on all matters concerning AC passengers.

I don't know the man. I frankly don't care (he doesn't care about his customers. Why should I care about him). It's a business transaction. Ben S is merely a FT account. Nothing more. Nothing less. Let's keep the love or hate fests out of this and keep allowing upset posters to express their frustration. Nobody called for a personal campaign against their person.

There are better ways to show how dumb the AC team's latest moves are. But I for one don't have the money or interest to take out a two page advertisement in the G&M.

If at least some of our less measured comments sparked a more heated debate then I think we achieved some victory against the AC spin machine.
+1,000,000
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Allvest

Well Said +1
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:30 am

What if we as a group took out a one page AD in the Globe expressing how we feel about the changes AC has made and how they engage their customers.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jagboi
But I'm thankful. If AC/AE hadn't pissed me off so much I never would have made BA gold, and I quite like BA now. Mmmm, upper deck on a 747
I agree the upper deck of the 747 on UA is amazing! without question the best business class. Thank you Air Canada for pushing me to away from your failed program.
And thank you people on FT for showing me the light
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by tireman77
I've wanted to ask for a while but held back.

Are you insulted that he actually said it, or that they are true?

If you want J, please play for it. The (somewhat) common attitude among some SE's that they deserve eUps is more than a little belittling for those of us who actually pay for it when we want it.
I'm not sure what you are saying. If I want J, I do pay for it. The only reason I believe that I deserve EUps is that AC has offered them to me as an incentive to fly more often on their aircraft. Period. Other airlines do similar things. Thinking that all SE's sit in the back bitter because they are not up front is a load. I mostly sit in the back, and it is fine. I think I have a right to them until AC changes their system, and AC has every right to change the system any time they like, which hither have. We have a right to tell them what we think and either continue doing business with them, or in my case move to what I feel is a more competitive program. Like it or not, we all fly enough here that we get tied into these programs, and many feel betrayed, others like myself just believe they have made a bad business decision and are frustrated that they don't see it.

My big issue is that they waited until the very end of the year to dump this on us, when it seems clear from at least one post (wait til you see what is happening next year) that they this decision has been made for a while. I actually believe that the Bens showing up here was likely meant to diffuse some of the explosion by creating some good will ahead of time, which actually worked. I think they did a terrible job of explaining a decision which in some ways is actually defensible, and when that happened they decided to take their toys and leave the sandbox. It's also their prerogative.

I'm happy for you that you or your company always pays J. For most of. Us that fly every week, it isn't the case, and the EUps were a nice bonus. It looks like AA is the best fit for me, so that is where I'm gong, but I still can't help but think AC is going to miss our money. Then again, maybe not.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
I'm happy for you that you or your company always pays J. For most of. Us that fly every week, it isn't the case, and the EUps were a nice bonus. It looks like AA is the best fit for me, so that is where I'm gong, but I still can't help but think AC is going to miss our money. Then again, maybe not.
How much you want to bet its the bolded part paying

And you're damn tootin right SEs deserve upgrades into otherwise empty seats. Thats how you reward loyalty. And loyalty to AC often means making illogical decisions such as paying more for a lesser product. That should be rewarded. Especially since the cost of a gate upgrade is virtually zero. Saying that an SE with a gate upgrade cheapens the cabin is a slap in the face.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:49 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
I'm not sure what you are saying. If I want J, I do pay for it. The only reason I believe that I deserve EUps is that AC has offered them to me as an incentive to fly more often on their aircraft. Period. Other airlines do similar things. Thinking that all SE's sit in the back bitter because they are not up front is a load. I mostly sit in the back, and it is fine. I think I have a right to them until AC changes their system, and AC has every right to change the system any time they like, which hither have. We have a right to tell them what we think and either continue doing business with them, or in my case move to what I feel is a more competitive program. Like it or not, we all fly enough here that we get tied into these programs, and many feel betrayed, others like myself just believe they have made a bad business decision and are frustrated that they don't see it.

My big issue is that they waited until the very end of the year to dump this on us, when it seems clear from at least one post (wait til you see what is happening next year) that they this decision has been made for a while. I actually believe that the Bens showing up here was likely meant to diffuse some of the explosion by creating some good will ahead of time, which actually worked. I think they did a terrible job of explaining a decision which in some ways is actually defensible, and when that happened they decided to take their toys and leave the sandbox. It's also their prerogative.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
How much you want to bet its the bolded part paying

And you're damn tootin right SEs deserve upgrades into otherwise empty seats. Thats how you reward loyalty. And loyalty to AC often means making illogical decisions such as paying more for a lesser product. That should be rewarded. Especially since the cost of a gate upgrade is virtually zero. Saying that an SE with a gate upgrade cheapens the cabin is a slap in the face.
Full disclosure: I pay for 100% of my tickets. No employer to reimburse. All on my dime

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I fly on J all the time. I also apologize if I came across as arrogant, that was probably out of frustration from reading posts of people feeling victimized.

I fly on J when I can afford it, or rather can't afford to sit in Y that long. Usually on longer TPAC and some TATL flights. All other times, I am in Y. Every decision for a flight is made my myself after (usually) a good deal or research. I qualify for *G and E50k. Ive been flying long enough (since the 70s) to take whatever each airline offers and not expect them to offer anything more. I guess my expectations are lower than everyone else's. AC still works for me, when it doesn't I'll move on to some other airline.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly on J when I can afford it, or rather can't afford to sit in Y that long. Usually on longer TPAC and some TATL flights. All other times, I am in Y. Every decision for a flight is made my myself after (usually) a good deal or research. I qualify for *G and E50k. Ive been flying long enough (since the 70s) to take whatever each airline offers and not expect them to offer anything more. I guess my expectations are lower than everyone else's. AC still works for me, when it doesn't I'll move on to some other airline.

You pay for AC J out of your own pocket for international flights?
WOW. Something, as a out-of-pocket flyer, I'd never consider doing given a) the price of AC flights, b) the vastly inferior quality of the AC product.

Why in the world would I ever pay for J on AC when I can fly LO,OS or TK to Europe, or NH,SQ to Asia. And thats just within Star. Not even going to mention the ME3 carriers

This is the whole rub here, AC expects people/companies to pay for an inferior product at a superior price.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:12 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You pay for AC J out of your own pocket for international flights?
WOW. Something, as a out-of-pocket flyer, I'd never consider doing given a) the price of AC flights, b) the vastly inferior quality of the AC product.

Why in the world would I ever pay for J on AC when I can fly LO,OS or TK to Europe, or NH,SQ to Asia. And thats just within Star. Not even going to mention the ME3 carriers

This is the whole rub here, AC expects people/companies to pay for an inferior product at a superior price.
Where did I say I pay for AC J flights internationally? *A for sure, almost exclusively, to keep the *G perks. (Although I did just book a good deal in J for Asia on AC in J, so they do have some, you just have to look.)

I also never suggested to anyone here to book exclusively AC, I certainly don't. I've often suggested o other threads to look for great deals, like YUL-LAS via DEN on ua.com, or ANZ to Australia Their J is not much more than AC's Flex).

Its market demand. Period. There is no big brother exploiting anyone (in my opinion). Corporates get deep discounts, people like me have to hunt for the best way.

Could you please not assume ignorance on my part?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Keep a customer, lose a customer

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
This is very very risky and I cannot believe that they would actually do this. Business 101, or if you didn't take it in university you learn it on the first day:

It is easier to keep a client than to get a client, and getting back a client is damn near impossible.

We remind our clients of that every day, even if the effort is like herding cats (you know, wandering off in directions looking for ideas that will gain one new customer but lose five current ones).

The problem is, in recent years companies would rather lose customers and then find creative "offers" to win them back, regardless of the higher cost to win them back then to have kept them in the first place (look at the Bell vs Rogers idiocy).
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:22 am

Where did I say I pay for AC J flights internationally?
Uh you said it right here:

I fly on J when I can afford it, or rather can't afford to sit in Y that long. Usually on longer TPAC and some TATL flights. All other times, I am in Y.
The confusing part is, if you are flying on your own dime, why in the world are you flying AC?????

There are so many better and cheaper alternatives available! I fly AC because my company allows for Y under 5 hours and exec first on 5+ hours up to a capped price. If J on AC is above that price, I have to fly Y.

So I have not much choice in the matter.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
Uh you said it right here:

The confusing part is, if you are flying on your own dime, why in the world are you flying AC?????.
Exactly, I cannot wrap my head around this.
As an out of pocket flyer, if I am flying on the cheap - Altitude and the stupid Tango earning scheme offers nothing for me. If I am flying premium - the AC product offers nothing for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.