Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
It's just business.

The destruction of the FF program is something Corporate travel departments really want. It is a diversion of revenue from them to their employees.

AC is gambling that the goodwill they get from them, plus eliminating a few of the people who game the system, is worth the cost of angering/losing some really good clients (ie those posting here).

I think AC are delusional about what goodwill from corporate travel departments is worth.

This has opened up a huge flank in some very core AC markets imho. The Rapidair triangle, for instance. I wouldn't be surprised to see Westjet buy Porter in the next couple of months, and really come after AC now.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
Since a lot of discussion about booking behaviors and AC assumptions, i'll just add my tiny datapoint today... Flying from Shanghai to Beijing, I could've easily booked onto a star alliance partner, and in the past I would also go out of my way to do so... ended up flying Hainan airways (on a 787 to boot) for just 200 rmb (35 USD) less than on Air China... In the past I wouldn't hesitate to pay 30pct to 50pct premium to stay on star alliance to earn mileage... there must be many who are hitting "loyalty-fatigue" now... nevermind avoiding AC... the whole alliance is becoming very questionable...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
Since a lot of discussion about booking behaviors and AC assumptions, i'll just add my tiny datapoint today... Flying from Shanghai to Beijing, I could've easily booked onto a star alliance partner, and in the past I would also go out of my way to do so... ended up flying Hainan airways (on a 787 to boot) for just 200 rmb (35 USD) less than on Air China... In the past I wouldn't hesitate to pay 30pct to 50pct premium to stay on star alliance to earn mileage... there must be many who are hitting "loyalty-fatigue" now... nevermind avoiding AC... the whole alliance is becoming very questionable...
I totally agree with you here as I have done it a few times already. I went out of my way to fly Air India Business Class instead of BA Business Class just to get mileage on a *A partner. That's one HECK of a sacrifice I made. Imagine that!! Air India is crap

I even flew a short-haul while in India just to get over the 50K hump for early recognition - which incidentaly still hasn't been posted to my account yet. grrr...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Reading the latest round of posts, I must say, I m simply amazed at the amount of emotion, involvement, and blind loyalty people have had in their dealings with AC.
Spending more than needed, convincing others, defending AC, comparing to a breakup...

Maybe because all the money I spend on flying is my own (post tax) income, and I ve always had to be loyal to me first, I will never understand this frankly irrational blind loyalty to an airline.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Reading the latest round of posts, I must say, I m simply amazed at the amount of emotion, involvement, and blind loyalty people have had in their dealings with AC.
Spending more than needed, convincing others, defending AC, comparing to a breakup...

Maybe because all the money I spend on flying is my own (post tax) income, and I ve always had to be loyal to me first, I will never understand this frankly irrational blind loyalty to an airline.
For me it wasn't emotional, it made business sense. My rate of upgrade was exceptionally high, and that had a large impact on my travel habits. I would be upgraded to/from Europe more often than not, with each upgrade worth thousands of dollars (exactly why they are changing things), and also was able to upgrade a good number of NA flights. I paid more for this privilege, as I bought flight passes, paid J to Asia/Australia and was generally (I thought) a high revenue customer. Apparently not high enough.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AC35K, Ritz Carlton Gold, Hertz Gold
Ben L:

I sent you a PM on a subject unrelated to the Altitude changes. I would very much appreciate a response.

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Really? Wasn't it the same outpouring when they decimated the lower tiers? Been there, seen that.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
Why would you even ask that? Kinda rude.
What's "rude" about asking for a rebate? I know that if I had bought another flight pass a few days before these changes were announced, I'd be absolutely incensed. Already, a late-October announcement changes the premise of 10+ months of mileage earning and the new rules significantly reduce the value of the flight pass. I'd definitely demand a refund, maybe even go as far as to file a complaint with my credit card company as was suggested upthread.

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
8.) TATL Flight pass? Not a freakin chance - - This is $12,000 just on it's own. (Thank-you AC for making the changes before we bought the pass).
Exactly.

Much like they did by offering free changes or cancellations to rouged passengers, AC must extend the same offer to flight pass purchasers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:36 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
AC is a decent, mediocre international J product.

However, the fact that they are comparing themselves to the likes of EK,SQ,CX is simply laughable. One would have to drink a lot of ACool-aid.
AC has a long way to go before they can compare themselves with these other 4 or 5 stars airlines.

Just one example, AC showers in the Maple Leaf Lounges in Toronto and in Vancouver are outdated and have mildew on the tiles for a while now...

Compare this with the outstanding showers of United in Hong Kong, a 3 star skytraxx airline!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
AC has a long way to go before they can compare themselves with these other 4 or 5 stars airlines.

Just one example, AC showers in the Maple Leaf Lounges in Toronto and in Vancouver are outdated and have mildew on the tiles for a while now...

Compare this with the outstanding showers of United in Hong Kong, a 3 star skytraxx airline!
YYZ showers had no hot water when I was there last week....
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I'm flummoxed. AC has reduced the number of threshold eUpgrade credits, and they have markedly increased the number of credits required for each upgrade, producing a double-whammy as others have noted. To make matters worse, they are making it harder to achieve the status thresholds by eliminating the 500 mile minimums.

I really don't understand the business strategy here, especially during a period when the business press touts AC's continued ability to post record-breaking profits.

Honestly, as a multi-year SE passenger, I feel insulted. AC, you've got to reverse these changes. They are, in a word, ridiculous.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
AA just announced details of 2015 AAdvantage (and merger details with US program). It has extended unlimited comp upgrades to all elites (space available) on NAmerican flights under 500 miles from just ExecPlats. And is keeping its version of cert upgrades for NAmerican flights and SWUs for ExecPlats. Also adding no-charge same day confirmed changes to the ExecPlat benefits. So no major changes, several enhancements for all tiers of elites. AA will keep three elite tiers but no spend requirement (though earning status vis Points vs Miles does reflect the value of the ticket and accelerates the earnings by factoring COS which earning by miles doesn't). But remember, lounge access is not a benefit of elite status when travelling within NAmerica.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
SQ won't status match you.

KF Gold is not that hard to get if you fly a lot but the privileges are not the same as the PPS programme where earning is not by miles but by cash. To earn that you need to spend a minimum of SGD $ 25K a year on SQ only metal in J or F class. It means nothing if you only fly in Y.

And you need to maintain it every year.
You're right about KF and PPS, but it's better than nothing. If I stay with Air Canada, with their new metal minimums I could fly 100k+ have no status at all.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by RTW70
If I stay with Air Canada, with their new metal minimums I could fly 100k+ have no status at all.
If you fly 100K+ on *A but less than 12K on AC (90% on other *A airlines), then you are correct. But in that case Altitude/Aeroplan really isn't the right program for you anyway, you end up with basically just *Gold benefits that you can use.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by tomh009
If you fly 100K+ on *A but less than 12K on AC (90% on other *A airlines), then you are correct. But in that case Altitude/Aeroplan really isn't the right program for you anyway, you end up with basically just *Gold benefits that you can use.
Well, less than 25k (to miss out on Gold Status), so 75% on other partner airlines (which they encourage us to fly by offering bonus miles for doing so!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.