Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-upgrading passengers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:52 pm

Apparent self upgrader removed by airport police on AC194 after arrival on YUL. Second hand knowledge but apparently he self upgraded and refused to go back to his original seat. He got to be the first to leave the plane courtesy of the police.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by monkai
Apparent self upgrader removed by airport police on AC194 after arrival on YUL. Second hand knowledge but apparently he self upgraded and refused to go back to his original seat. He got to be the first to leave the plane courtesy of the police.
Odd..but I have only ever seen AC really call the cops on self upgraders and then try to recover the fare from them..I even witnessed it once in the mid 90's before unruly pax were routinely arrested. I know stories from other airlines, but AC seems to do this the most. Good for them!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
So here were are 2 years later from these posts upthread.

Missed opportunity by AC...they could have been selling some of those empty seats along with BoB and Pringles
Attached Images    
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Zero tolerance on mainline? WHAT? I've seen this happen many times into Pods on Mainline (Not sure if Rouge or Express has pods).

I don't go out of my way to point it out, BUT, if an SD/FA happens to interact with me for more than a split second (always witnessed this egregiousness while personally seated in Y) I'd mention it. I love it when they walk from behind with water service and as soon as they hit the first Y row, start marching back to the rear with a split second notice to signal for water. So much for "Preferred" seats.

Yes, I stay in my Y seat, with empty J pods fully in view, even when I was SE back in the days of vouchers...

What happens when the self-upgrader is upgraded by onboard crew midflight because of a clear friendship relationship? I guess that's not "self" upgraded, and thus, tolerable? Yes yes, now people will tell me could be a tight connection, could be the need to stretch out for medical reasons, etc... the chatter about what they're "going to do tonight in XYZ... I only need 4 hours sleep... etc, etc..." was my drunk imagination. =)

I do seriously need to use my audio recording app more frequently.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: TK *G
Most of the self-up folks I have seen seems to be somehow related to AC. At least FAs seem to know them.

I have seen some not in AC uniform folks self upped them to the sleeping bunk of a 777.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
Most of the self-up folks I have seen seems to be somehow related to AC. At least FAs seem to know them.

I have seen some not in AC uniform folks self upped them to the sleeping bunk of a 777.
I'd watch that movie

Bow chikka bow-wow
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: aeroplan 50K
Self- upgrade: how to ensure overhead bin space

Today YYZ-SFO before take off OP is sitting in J during breakfast order.

FA: May I see you boarding pass?
OP: Why?
FA: You are not on my list.
OP: I can't find it.
FA: silent stare...
OP: shuffles around pockets
FA: silent stare...
OP: hands it over
FA: You will have to move back. Now.
OP: puts giant oversized bags in overhead bin....leaves J cabin.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You may want to clarify what you mean by "OP"
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Good for the FA to kick the bum out of J, but disappointing the self-upgrading bags were not dealt with. AC seriously lags behind the US3 in this area.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Good for the FA to kick the bum out of J, but disappointing the self-upgrading bags were not dealt with. AC seriously lags behind the US3 in this area.
Given that this seemed to be after the SD had the manifest, the door would have been closed, so does it really matter?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
OP is Other Person? One pasenger?

Good to see this enforced. The bags are ... odd.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Given that this seemed to be after the SD had the manifest, the door would have been closed, so does it really matter?
If I'm sleeping in J and then bag is taken out waking me then yes. Assuming it's left to the end ... it'll slow down exiting the plane too, possibly.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
OP is Other Person? One pasenger?
Original Poster
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
If I'm sleeping in J and then bag is taken out waking me then yes. Assuming it's left to the end ... it'll slow down exiting the plane too, possibly.
Ah fair point. That can be quite annoying.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Original Poster
I'm not sure that's the case here
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You may want to clarify what you mean by "OP"
Obnoxious passenger!

He kept coming back to use the washroom, try to get drinks, and barged his way to the front when we landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.