Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The beef (steak?) option - AC needs to improve on this

Old Oct 8, 14, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

I was just reading the trip reports for Swiss J class and saw their beef option
http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...flight-fillet/

If only Air Canada Chefs can match that.... that'd be amazing........

I've lost count on how many times I've ate overcooked dried beef and rubberized protein on AC's flights.

Otherwise I don't know why I still go for the beef sometimes - maybe they should just stick to beef stew or something easier to cook and not get wrong lol.
Old Oct 8, 14, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Looks like the steak is not quite dead yet.
Old Oct 8, 14, 11:37 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by kwflyer View Post
Looks like the steak is not quite dead yet.
Yup. Needs to be medium rare at minimum for flights.

On AC7 on the 5th it was the best I've ever had. AC8 on the 7th, average.
Old Oct 8, 14, 11:49 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
If you think the Swiss was good try the ANA steak. Hands down one of the top 10 I have ever had.
Meanwhile on AC steak is usually the lesser of the two evils.
Old Oct 8, 14, 11:58 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Polar Man View Post
If you think the Swiss was good try the ANA steak. Hands down one of the top 10 I have ever had.
Meanwhile on AC steak is usually the lesser of the two evils.
I guess it comes down to the flight. My last ANA steak sucked.
Old Oct 9, 14, 6:40 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I've done SQ's " Book the Chef" Rib steak several times, its great.
Also I recently tried their " Angus Burger" on a brunch-time flight, it was good as well.
Old Oct 9, 14, 11:14 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Programs: ACA
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Yup. Needs to be medium rare at minimum for flights.

On AC7 on the 5th it was the best I've ever had. AC8 on the 7th, average.
Must disagree there. Looks perfectly cooked for me.

But I've only had I steak that was well properly cooked to rare flight. Problem is I can't remember who it was....
Old Oct 9, 14, 11:31 am

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
SQ Book the Cook filet mignon was one of the best steaks I have ever had, anywhere, on the ground included.
Old Oct 9, 14, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
AC849 from MUC - YYZ on Monday had the tenderloin that was actually pink throughout! ^

Although I'd prefer mine cooked the way Swiss did it, this was a decided improvement over the typical hockey puck that I get when ordering beef.

Not sure if it helped that when FA took my order I said something like "I'll take the beef and hopefully you can deliver it still pink" and she said "yes, sir".
Old Oct 9, 14, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77 View Post
Must disagree there. Looks perfectly cooked for me.

But I've only had I steak that was well properly cooked to rare flight. Problem is I can't remember who it was....
I'm talking about the majority of people, not the sub 10% that prefer rare steak. You know how many people would complain if they got that steak?!
Old Oct 9, 14, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
AC849 from MUC - YYZ on Monday had the tenderloin that was actually pink throughout! ^

Although I'd prefer mine cooked the way Swiss did it, this was a decided improvement over the typical hockey puck that I get when ordering beef.

Not sure if it helped that when FA took my order I said something like "I'll take the beef and hopefully you can deliver it still pink" and she said "yes, sir".
The trick appears to be to remove it 5 minutes early from the oven.
Old Oct 9, 14, 2:57 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I'm talking about the majority of people, not the sub 10% that prefer rare steak. You know how many people would complain if they got that steak?!
I agree with Dorian here. I am myself a rare steak eater, the steak in the picture is actually overcooked for my taste. However, whenever I am in a public venue be it an event, air plane, or otherwise, I expect to receive a medium to medium well because that's what the masses prefer.
Old Oct 9, 14, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev View Post

Lucky you. Last couple of time the answer was the usual lame excuse "you know they come pre-cooked and there is little we can do." And I got the shoe sole.

Only once a couple of years ago, on a YUL-BRU flight, young SD called Nikki got me a pink beef.
Old Oct 9, 14, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely it is more than "sub 10%" who want their steak the way it was meant to be?
Old Oct 9, 14, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Surely it is more than "sub 10%" who want their steak the way it was meant to be?
I have two higher end steakhouse owners as friends (one in Van and one in Scottsdale) and I've queried both over this in the past due to numerous debates with friends on how a steak should be served.

Both steakhouses state they serve a maximum of 10% steaks as rare with the same for well done. Medium rare accounts for >50% of ordered steaks.

Me? I'm rare/Chicago.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: