Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The beef (steak?) option - AC needs to improve on this

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The beef (steak?) option - AC needs to improve on this

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorian
I have two higher end steakhouse owners as friends (one in Van and one in Scottsdale) and I've queried both over this in the past due to numerous debates with friends on how a steak should be served.

Both steakhouses state they serve a maximum of 10% steaks as rare with the same for well done. Medium rare accounts for >50% of ordered steaks.

Me? I'm rare/Chicago.
At least, it seems we would agree that less than 10% want the AC shoe soles.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Stranger
Only once a couple of years ago, on a YUL-BRU flight, young SD called Nikki got me a pink beef.
I see what you did there.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Polar Man
If you think the Swiss was good try the ANA steak. Hands down one of the top 10 I have ever had.
Meanwhile on AC steak is usually the lesser of the two evils.
I guess it comes down to the flight. My last ANA steak sucked.
I had great wagyu beef ex-HND in NH F. Beef ex-JFK in NH F was mediocre.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:35 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I'm talking about the majority of people, not the sub 10% that prefer rare steak. You know how many people would complain if they got that steak?!
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I agree with Dorian here. I am myself a rare steak eater, the steak in the picture is actually overcooked for my taste. However, whenever I am in a public venue be it an event, air plane, or otherwise, I expect to receive a medium to medium well because that's what the masses prefer.
I understand your point, which is why I almost never order the beef on an airplane.

As with at a restaurant, its also easier for a FA to put it back in an over for a few minutes than to undo an over cooked steak. I was on a LAS-YUL flight once and got a hockey puck. Didn't say anything but the SD saw me trying to cut it without making progress. Unfortunately there were no other choices at that point.

Bottom line, since a good steak is almost impossible to serve to most people's liking on an airplane, maybe they should focus on other options that are more universal in terms of doneness.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tireman77

Bottom line, since a good steak is almost impossible to serve to most people's liking on an airplane, maybe they should focus on other options that are more universal in terms of doneness.
Actually, there was a time when you could get a half decent steak on Air Canada. Pre-2000 or so, maybe up to a bit later.

I personally like fish and I hate chicken. Unfortunately most fish on Air Canada is even worse. Salmon or halibut get quite dry already if only slightly overcooked. Often salmon tastes like it's not quite fresh; the brownish fatty part deteriorates faster than the rest. Black cod is a good fish for planes because it's quite fatty and he does not easily feel dry. If it's available i go for it rather than beef. I have had pretty good black cod, I think out of YYC. But I also have had some that was not quite as fresh.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

I know it's off topic a bit (well still beef) but I would love a nice burger! I've had the one on BA and it's great!

Not quite as good as Romers Burgers in Vancouver, but still something I would order time and time again.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I know it's off topic a bit (well still beef) but I would love a nice burger! I've had the one on BA and it's great!

Not quite as good as Romers Burgers in Vancouver, but still something I would order time and time again.
Fly SQ and Book the Cook.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
^^^^^

Had outstanding and perfectly prepared beef only once - TLV-YYZ Sept 2013 (even the photo looks superb)
Twice since then - shoe leather and not cooked

To your point about other options:

The following main dishes were outstanding:
1. Grilled salmon, wild rice and asparagus, prepared perfectly and excellent flavor (TLV-YYZ Nov 2012 - first meal, not the second prior to landing)
2. Grilled salmon, veg & steamed rice - Sept 2014 YYZ-HND.
3. Chicken teriyaki (steamed rice and perfectly crisp grilled veg) -Sept 2014 HND-YYZ
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Fly SQ and Book the Cook.
I've been thinking about it next time I'm in SIN! With your recommendation I probably will.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:02 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I recall a really good lamb on AC YVR-SYD a few years back. Perfectly cooked medium rare. Maybe that was an anomaly.

As for burgers. I had one on KOA-LAX (really bad but wasn't expecting much) and ANZ YVR-AKL that was utterly forgettable.

Now... if we want to go there.. ANZ has the bacon roll for breakfast. Truly the most spectacular thing I've ever eaten on an airplane. Mmmmmmmmm warm buttered roll with crispy bacon. Onion jam and BBQ sauce on the side. Wow.... Thank you.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Mmmmmmmmm warm buttered roll with crispy bacon. Onion jam and BBQ sauce on the side. Wow.... Thank you.
Sure, now that I've had crackers and an apple, you share this
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
I recall a really good lamb on AC YVR-SYD a few years back. Perfectly cooked medium rare. Maybe that was an anomaly.
I just had good lamb chops on AC SYD-YVR a few weeks back...so good I asked (and was granted) seconds...that's the only time I've enjoyed AC food enough to want more
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I'm not surprised, given your username.

But yeah, had lamb I think from ZRH-YYZ and it was deelish!

I'm a well-done kind of guy and when ordering red meat, I've asked the FAs to leave it in the oven for a few minutes more. Never been a problem. ^

Originally Posted by t_rex
I just had good lamb chops on AC SYD-YVR a few weeks back...so good I asked (and was granted) seconds...that's the only time I've enjoyed AC food enough to want more
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I too have found the lamb excellent on those rare occasions when it is offered. I've always received it pink.

Black Cod is also usually a good choice when available.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Lamb is usually good

Or do stew for beef option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.