Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Dropping first segment, need to reissue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite

I have a YOW-YUL-LAS Flex itinerary on AC (and Rouge...) and want to proactively cancel the YOW-YUL portion, but pick up the rest of my itinerary from YUL.

I know I can't no-show, but my TA is telling me that to cancel the first segment I need to reissue the ticket for a $200 change fee.

Does that sound correct? Thanks for any tips.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Sounds right. It's a wholly different fare from YUL to LAS.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Yes. It's a change to the ticket so incurs the change fee plus any change in fare.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:17 am

Correct. Think of it this way:

In the summer I flew LAS-FCO via my hometown of YYC (where I spent the night). The flight was $1,700 in J r/t. Same trip originating in YYC was $4,500. If AC allowed what you are suggesting, people could book the cheapest trip they could find as long as it went via their hometown, and just cancel the first segment for free. And that's not something AC (or any airline) is interested in doing, as it would remove their ability to price based city pairs.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Technically, the advice is correct that you should pay change fee of 200 -- but I have been able to avoid this change fee a couple times.

So, about 3 years ago I had a flight YYJ-YVR-SYD. I called Elite reservations line and asked if they could drop the first segment. I told them I was trying to avoid the change fee and after putting me on hold for a brief time, the agent said that she would make the change free of charge. I just had to pay difference in Airport Taxes.

Also, one time I was flying YYJ-YVR-YYC and I ended up in YVR the night before. I called the Concierge and the first person I talked to wanted to charge me the change fee and was insistent. I called back after a hour -- talked to someone different and they agreed to drop the segment for me. No fees.

If you're persistent and talk to some different people then someone may be willing to make the change for you. At the same time, I know they've been cracking down on change fees and agents who waive them are criminals of "internal theft" as one agent told me. But it's always worth a try!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:15 pm

If I was you, I would look into cancelling the entire ticket and rebooking with someone else. Something better than Rouge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.