Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lallied

possible I guess but was not swordfish and they serve snow fish in Korea which is a white tuna/black cod/sablefish depending on info source. Actual species beyond me but not a fish I am familiar with.
OK, after further investigation, snow fish would seem to be translation from Chinese. For toothfish AKA as Chilean sea bass. Which BTW appears to be an endangered species and the victim of predatory fishing in the high seas where there is no chance of control, except when the Argentinian navy goes after a Chinese fisherman.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
OK, after further investigation, snow fish would seem to be translation from Chinese. For toothfish AKA as Chilean sea bass. Which BTW appears to be an endangered species and the victim of predatory fishing in the high seas where there is no chance of control, except when the Argentinian navy goes after a Chinese fisherman.
You are not suggesting AC would service an environmentally and socially irresponsible fish....
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
You are not suggesting AC would service an environmentally and socially irresponsible fish....
OK, maybe I am suggesting they don't really know what fish they are serving.

Like when they called the fish out of FRA barramundi. (I don't think the caterer at FRA would have imported barramundi especially for AC's benefit...)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
OK, maybe I am suggesting they don't really know what fish they are serving.

Like when they called the fish out of FRA barramundi. (I don't think the caterer at FRA would have imported barramundi especially for AC's benefit...)
I am certain AC has no idea. I though they hired David Hawksworth as the celebrity chef that would sort these things out. If they outsource the recipe to the catering company not certain why have the celebrity chef involved.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I am certain AC has no idea. I though they hired David Hawksworth as the celebrity chef that would sort these things out. If they outsource the recipe to the catering company not certain why have the celebrity chef involved.
That's only ex-Canada. You won't see Hawksworth dishes on the way back.

In any event, their menu wording/descriptions are not terribly accurate. I already mentioned German barramundi, which is truly a joke. Another one: not too long ago on domestic itineraries, that had some dish that included turmeric. It appears whoever wrote the English menu had no idea of the English name of that spice and used the French/Spanish/Portuguese name, curcuma. (Mind you, Itranslate wrongly translates the French curcuma into saffron in Portuguese...)
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC 7 YVR-HKG March 2018

Same appetizer FIVE TIMES since mid-January.

Maybe I fly Air Canada too much.

So, after seeing and reading about the really nice photos and description from @gabdusch in post 2009 when he had this meal, I chose it.

Well, this was what I was served,

The chicken was rubbery and weird, the green beans looked like they had been cooked twice.

How can the same dish made to the same specs be so completely different.

So I decided to skip that and move on....to something else

Works for me.

It's noodle time.

Presentation photo.

Boudoir photo.

Sure, why not.

Crew asked if I'd like a coffee, tea. This seems like a nice idea.

Yummy.

I love this snack and had it for my pre-arrival meal.

Pre-arrival hot meal options

D582 and gabdusch like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
AC 7 YVR-HKG March 2018

Same appetizer FIVE TIMES since mid-January.

Maybe I fly Air Canada too much.
I think it's actually slightly embarrassing that they cannot rotate the appetiser every month. I like this one, but would like some variety, even on a cycle. This is the same menu as February 2018. And was the same as Nov 2017. It seems they currently have 3 menus for this route (and TPE which is the same menu - but I'm sure you know that ) and did not rotate for some reason. And while I do like the Sablefish, they need to rotate these signature dishes as well, if not monthly than quarterly. And the beef, not that I ever eat, it also seems to remain the same. Change the sauce, change the potatoes, change the vegetable - voila, new dish.

This menu is menu code 260C011-2 which was last seen in Nov 2017 and Feb 2018).

There is 260C011-1, last seen in Jan 2018 which has the following main courses:

Steamed cod, ginger, jasmine rice, gai-lan, green onion, red pepper
Sablefish, lime scented basmati rice, mushroom, bok choy, green curry sauce
Chicken tikka, butter sauce, basmati herb rice, broccolini
Grilled AAA beef tenderloin, Cabernet peppercorn sauce, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, asparagus
And there is 260C011-3. last seen in Dec 2017 which has the following main courses:

Stir-fried beef, mushrooms, jasmine rice, bok choy, carrots
Sablefish, lime scented basmati rice, mushroom, bok choy, green curry sauce
Chicken supreme, wild mushroom sauce, black pearl whole grain medley, baby carrots
Grilled AAA beef tenderloin, Cabernet peppercorn sauce, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, asparagus
But I'm happy if they keep the chocolate cake forever. I love that cake
lallied and 24left like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:05 am
Suspended

Air Canada - Salmon Appetizer.....On a Plane.

January AC 11 YVR-TPE (1)

February AC 11 YVR-TPE (2)

February AC 11 YVR-TPE (3)

February AC 15 YYZ-HKG

March AC 7 YVR-HKG

Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by D582
....But I'm happy if they keep the chocolate cake forever. I love that cake
Here, I saved this for you.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Drools on keyboard...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

3 weeks left to savour it. It's finally changing on April 1st. A new dessert is on the way.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by D582
I think it's actually slightly embarrassing that they cannot rotate the appetiser every month. I like this one, but would like some variety, even on a cycle. This is the same menu as February 2018. And was the same as Nov 2017. It seems they currently have 3 menus for this route (and TPE which is the same menu - but I'm sure you know that ) and did not rotate for some reason. And while I do like the Sablefish, they need to rotate these signature dishes as well, if not monthly than quarterly. And the beef, not that I ever eat, it also seems to remain the same. Change the sauce, change the potatoes, change the vegetable - voila, new dish.

This menu is menu code 260C011-2 which was last seen in Nov 2017 and Feb 2018).

There is 260C011-1, last seen in Jan 2018 which has the following main courses:

And there is 260C011-3. last seen in Dec 2017 which has the following main courses:

But I'm happy if they keep the chocolate cake forever. I love that cake
The Appetizer and Featured Dish (Sablefish) are Hawksworth-inspired and change quarterly. The other mains change monthly. A new appy, Hawksworth main and dessert are scheduled for April.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
3 weeks left to savour it. It's finally changing on April 1st. A new dessert is on the way.
Uh oh, @Adam Smith and @D582 aren't going to be happy
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
that looks yummy!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Free Agent
The Appetizer and Featured Dish (Sablefish) are Hawksworth-inspired and change quarterly. The other mains change monthly. A new appy, Hawksworth main and dessert are scheduled for April.
Would love to see something nut-free...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.