Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
787 has steam ovens so it tends to cook the food better. You shouldn't see as much water in the dishes now with galley plating as the flight attendant is manually plating the dish so they are not going to pour the watery sauce onto the dish as well. We're not the only airline with that issue, I've seen similar on my flights on CX, BA in J - believe it has something to do with the ovens and the fact that the beef has to be pre-cooked (hence you see the piece of bread we put under the steak to absorb some of it). Hopefully with steam ovens and galley plating your beef will be better! Keep me posted on your experiences.
Thanks! Yes, I didn't mean to say that nobody else has the issue, but it seems extremely prevalent on AC. I think a change of policy to take it out 5 minutes earlier would really help.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:55 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by tireman77
I have never ment Ben, I do not know Ben and I am not a mindreader, but here is what I believe he meant to say by the last line in his comment is that he is flabbergasted that people would not think that food safety is analyzed, controlled and monitored throughout the industry, let alone Air Canada.
Yes that's exactly it and winnipegrev summed up up nicely as well. I spoke to Ben last night specifically about this thread and asked him to help monitor it as well. As mentioned here by us many times, happy to address any feedback (good or bad) but please base it on actual experiences; not some made up stuff - such as bending this and claim it's a cost cutting exercise, assuming bad hygiene without a clear understanding of how things work but did not want to ask and instead took the accusation route (and thanks to YYZ/SD for addressing that point too).

So getting back on topic, I am happy to continue answering any questions or feedback related to the original post as my team built these changes and it's been many months in the working.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:01 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by rbphilip
It sounds like a good idea to me.

Now ... is my flight YYZ-IST in 4 weeks considered "Asia"?
Routes included in this phase are:
YYZ-PEK/PVG/HKG/NRT/HND/TLV, YVR-SYD (both ways).

Other routes are targeted for 2015.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:20 am

There's an expression on the Internet "Haters gonna hate". Just remember your goal is not to convince the haters, but to convince everyone else on the thread to trust you and ignore them. Take the high road, grin and bear it, pretend the vitriol was honest constructive criticism and help the rest of us see that you're in the right.

This all looks great except just one thing.... Medium cheddar? I love cheddar as much as the next guy but it's for ham and cheese sandwiches, not on a cheese plate alongside Stilton and Brie. Hopefully there'll be enough choices on the plate to meet everyone's preferences.

For what it's worth here's a data point for "You eat with your eyes". I've been flying a mix of J and Y+ on BA recently -- they're supposed to have the same main meals but Y+ isn't plated. One trip I posted photos on FT of the meal in Y+ which looked awful and I barely touched it. I couldn't believe it was a J main. Sure enough someone on FT posted a photo of the same meal in J plated and it looked like a whole different meal. But looking closely all the same bits were there.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Yes! That's great news, especially the new brunch option to Asia. When landing a 3-5 PM local time my idea of a pre-arrival meal is often different than an omelet

Originally Posted by zkzkz
This all looks great except just one thing.... Medium cheddar? I love cheddar as much as the next guy but it's for ham and cheese sandwiches, not on a cheese plate alongside Stilton and Brie. Hopefully there'll be enough choices on the plate to meet everyone's preferences.
+1. Now that cheese is served "tableside", will you consider offering a broader choice, maybe slightly more adventurous? I'd love to see a good bleu in there. Honestly, and I mean no disrespect, but after a recent trip AKL-NRT-YYZ the difference between NZ and AC on the cheese department was like comparing a Porsche to a Mazda...

But I must say other than that, great work Andrew and your team, can't wait to try it out soon. ^
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Keep in mind those often criticizing AC J service are not necessarily those who regularly pay for it, so if you think AC is telling people to suck it up they likely aren't directing that to the people these service changes actually impact.

Criticizing AC for plating meals is a new low. Concerned about how AC views sanitation, really? I'll bet the conditions on ACs aircraft in the galleys are cleaner than the vast majority of Canadian restaurants. ACYYZ/SD has already said they undergo training for handling, plus they want to use gloves anyways as to not burn themselves - that should be the end of the story and any concern. Straight from the horses mouth (sorry ACYYZ/FA, you're the horse!). The nitpicking of AC and its FT representatives to death over a service improvement is extremely lame.

Wondering what difference replating has over the previous warm-and-go meals are you serious? Do you really just eat for calories, is eating not an experience for anyone? At a restaurant would it make no difference if your meal was served on a McDonalds wrapper instead of a proper dish? Andrew pointed out presentation makes a big difference to enjoyment, and that he views hygiene concerns on an aircraft no differently than a restaurant. What is wrong with that explanation? Do you honestly expect him to provide you with the PDF memo for FA food preparation directives? Frankly I'm surprised he'd respond at all.

You'd think from peoples reactions here that FAs are scooping portions with their hands and replating them. I'm sure Andrew Yiu and Ben's reactions are sarcastic because they are in disbelief some here think hygiene wouldn't be taken into account.
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Yes that's exactly it and winnipegrev summed up up nicely as well. I spoke to Ben last night specifically about this thread and asked him to help monitor it as well. As mentioned here by us many times, happy to address any feedback (good or bad) but please base it on actual experiences; not some made up stuff - such as bending this and claim it's a cost cutting exercise, assuming bad hygiene without a clear understanding of how things work but did not want to ask and instead took the accusation route (and thanks to YYZ/SD for addressing that point too).

So getting back on topic, I am happy to continue answering any questions or feedback related to the original post as my team built these changes and it's been many months in the working.
Well Andrew, I don't believe winnipegrev( who could work for you on Portage Avenue )summed it up well at all ! He offered few valid points apart from a few straw man arguments. The point being made (YYZ/SD whom I know works hard and does a stellar job for you) misrepresented what I was talking about. I certainly hope that the flight attendants would not take hot crocks of food from the ovens using bare/latex covered hands, just like I hope they are following certain food handling standards as using latex gloves when handling food/plating it and not the dirty oven mitts. Perhaps having a hair net and mask too (see that often here in Tokyo). Even been to see the caterers in action, you were there with us, and they were dressed top to bottom with barely an eyeball visible. We all know that the food factories (should be) sterilizing the carts/utensils etc. The point others are alluding to it that the galleys are not hygienic . And really let's be frank with regards to cleanliness in ANY aircraft cabin that it would not take much to sicken folks. That doesn't even count the nut bar pax who go stocking feet/bare feet into the lavs and then traipse through the galley's on the way back to their seats, nor the scores of people who don't regularly wash their hands. Also an additional difference is that you instead of just unwrapping crocks and putting them on trays, you are heating up larger pans of food and placing on plates in what some argue is in less than sanitary food preparation areas. And this applies to food handling protocols etc.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:35 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Well Andrew, I don't believe winnipegrev( who could work for you on Portage Avenue )summed it up well at all ! He offered few valid points apart from a few straw man arguments. The point being made (YYZ/SD whom I know works hard and does a stellar job for you) misrepresented what I was talking about. I certainly hope that the flight attendants would not take hot crocks of food from the ovens using bare/latex covered hands, just like I hope they are following certain food handling standards as using latex gloves when handling food/plating it and not the dirty oven mitts. Perhaps having a hair net and mask too (see that often here in Tokyo). Even been to see the caterers in action, you were there with us, and they were dressed top to bottom with barely an eyeball visible. We all know that the food factories (should be) sterilizing the carts/utensils etc. The point others are alluding to it that the galleys are not hygienic . And really let's be frank with regards to cleanliness in ANY aircraft cabin that it would not take much to sicken folks. That doesn't even count the nut bar pax who go stocking feet/bare feet into the lavs and then traipse through the galley's on the way back to their seats, nor the scores of people who don't regularly wash their hands. Also an additional difference is that you instead of just unwrapping crocks and putting them on trays, you are heating up larger pans of food and placing on plates in what some argue is in less than sanitary food preparation areas. And this applies to food handling protocols etc.
I don't believe it will be heating out large pans of food and portioning out. If I recall from seeing how other airlines do it, everything is pre-portionned and simply transferred into a plate for better presentation.

As for all the hygiene issues you list, has this been an problem for you in the past? I don't see how the new procedure would be different than current in terms of food safety.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
AA does that. They are cooked per portion and then turned upside down and dumped onto the plate (aka beef would be in a metal carton, cooked, and then dumped upside down). Does AC do this Andrew as well?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm on AC 015, YYZ-HKG. Took a snap of the new menu with brunch. The styling has changed to resemble the new colour scheme of the website.

http://instagram.com/p/tsSgJ-prby/
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
AA does that. They are cooked per portion and then turned upside down and dumped onto the plate (aka beef would be in a metal carton, cooked, and then dumped upside down). Does AC do this Andrew as well?
This is what I meant by pans........
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tireman77

As for all the hygiene issues you list, I don't see how the new procedure would be different than current in terms of food safety.
Did you know that there is no government body that regulates aircraft hygiene ! In fact many airlines will not even discuss their cleaning methods/cleanliness standards.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by gabdusch
+1. Now that cheese is served "tableside", will you consider offering a broader choice, maybe slightly more adventurous? I'd love to see a good bleu in there. Honestly, and I mean no disrespect, but after a recent trip AKL-NRT-YYZ the difference between NZ and AC on the cheese department was like comparing a Porsche to a Mazda...
I agree, the cheeses offered could be improved. And if we're comparing with NZ, we could talk about the wine too......

Looking forward to experiencing the new format YYZ-PEK at the end of the month.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Thanks Andrew and Ben. Not sure if it was missed, but readding my Q please - will domestic J meals improve as well or is that not on the radar? Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by theseatbelt

Ever been to a chinese restaurant kitchen in Chinatown?

As Ben said... this is no different from other top tier airlines providing food so I don't see any difference. I have got sick from restaurant food before, but yet to have get sick from airline food. While I complain a lot about things like boarding queues and carry on luggage sizers, I have confidence in AC providing safe to eat meals.
First part is a bit racist, no? Haha - in all seriousness +1 on the getting sick in restaurants but never in an airplane. I too am surprised that we are beating this topic to death when it really is a true enhancement. I'd be pissed if I spent months improving something for people and I get trolled.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:18 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Did you know that there is no government body that regulates aircraft hygiene ! In fact many airlines will not even discuss their cleaning methods/cleanliness standards.
I did not. Thanks

That being said, I am very far from being a germophobe. I worked in retail for years. Shaking hands, touching money and things like car keys (that I am sure are some of the worse germ carriers as they have probably been sneezed on and people use to pick their ears). The funny thing is that the people working on that side were almost never sick. I missed one day of work in 10 years. The people who worked in the back offices on phones all day would use hand sanitizers 20 times a day and were always out sick. I don't have a study to prove it, but I feel the more you sanitize things the less your immune system works and you get sicker when invariably you come into contact with something.

The fact is, a commercial airliner uses 30% to 50% fresh air and the rest is recirculated through medial grade heap filter systems. That combined with extremely low humidity makes for an environment that is very difficult to transmit anything. Chances are, if you got sick, you probably caught it at the airport, or the hotel and not on the plane.

To get back to the topic at hand; individually cooked, pre portioned (think cupcake versus big cake). Its just being put onto a nicer plate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.