Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by tcook052
https://montrealgazette.com/news/ant...tional-flights

Antonio Park designing menus for Air Canada's international flights
So Hawksworth will be phasing out of Asia routes?

Though it’s not the chef, it’s the budget and the catering facilities that matter.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The change is nice of course. But little plastic cups on the tray containing the dipping sauces is tacky. I know AC won't spent money on another collection of ramekins, but if you are going to present a classy meals, be classy.

Edit to Add photo:

canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by 24left; Aug 1, 2019 at 8:46 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
1. YVR-TPE had the beef and should have listened to this thread - it had the consistency of a brick and almost no taste. Blech. Had the "dim sum" hot bite enroute and I think they could do better than 3 thumb size dumplings.

2. NRT-YVR had the Japanese meal set which while somewhat light on substance, was still very tasty and better than what United usually has. Given UA offers the disgusting swill "Blue Moon" for its sake selection, I didn't think AC would be much better, so I didn't bother requesting any to try. Other-half had the beef, and they hated it - but I tried some and found it moist and flavorful, although the flavor was a little "unique". I was hoping that was "Japanese beef" uniqueness and not "sitting in the galley for 12 hours" uniqueness.

The lack of Japanese centric snacks ex-NRT was very disappointing - seriously, no rice crackers?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. YVR-TPE had the beef and should have listened to this thread - it had the consistency of a brick and almost no taste. Blech. Had the "dim sum" hot bite enroute and I think they could do better than 3 thumb size dumplings.
Yes you should have listened and looked at the photos.
I still feel bad for the SD on our AC 18 a few weeks ago. He kept apologizing when I left it on the plate. I told him not to apologize. He did't buy the beef, he didn't cook it and he didn't see what the caterer did to it during and after cooking it.

......2. NRT-YVR had the Japanese meal set which while somewhat light on substance, was still very tasty and better than what United usually has. Given UA offers the disgusting swill "Blue Moon" for its sake selection, I didn't think AC would be much better, so I didn't bother requesting any to try. Other-half had the beef, and they hated it - but I tried some and found it moist and flavorful, although the flavor was a little "unique". I was hoping that was "Japanese beef" uniqueness and not "sitting in the galley for 12 hours" uniqueness......
I've only had excellent beef twice on AC since 2012 and the most recent was summer of 2017 on AC 3 or 4. Galley Master Sabu (who recently retired - and I'd flown with him 5 or 6 times) was just amazing at galley and presented beef that was not killed twice, had great flavour and was hot. Sigh.

.....The lack of Japanese centric snacks ex-NRT was very disappointing - seriously, no rice crackers?
Erm, are the even Japanese-centric snacks ex-NRT? The only ones I've had are the Matcha and Hokkaido Melon Kit Kats I bought pre-departure.

As for rice crackers........I "borrowed" some in HND recently

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

On the main page of AC.com today

Air Canada Partners with Award-Winning Canadian Chef Antonio Park to Expand Meal Options on Asian and South American Flights

QUOTES:

"MONTREAL, Aug. 1, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced a partnership with award-winning Canadian Chef Antonio Park to design destination inspired meals that will be exclusively featured on select Air Canada flights to Asia and South America. Chef Park's designs will complement Chef David Hawksworth's and will guide Air Canada's flight caterers in creating a selection of meal options on international flights, starting with Montreal-Tokyo-Narita, a route that links two cities he has called home."

"Roll-out of Chef Park's menu starts with meals on board flights between Montreal and Tokyo-Narita today followed by flights from Toronto to Tokyo-Haneda, Vancouver to Tokyo-Narita, and flights from Montreal to Sao Paulo this Fall. In 2020, Chef Park's meals will also be available on flights to Hong Kong, Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei, Sao Paulo(from Toronto), Santiago and Buenos Aires, and seasonal flights from Calgary to Tokyo-Narita and Vancouver to Osaka. Chef Park's options will be available in Signature, Premium Economy and Economy Class on all flights from Canada to Japan and exclusively in Signature Class on all other flights departing Canada to Asia and South America, in addition to options created by Chef Hawksworth."

Chef Antonio Park becomes the fourth member of the airline's panel of celebrated Canadian culinary and wine talent
  • Attention video editors: Speech excerpts from Chef Antonio Park and Andrew Yiu discussing the partnership available at: https://vimeo.com/351321901

Link

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...Flights#Closed
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Interesting.

I wonder whether it would be feasible for AC to have Park and Hawksworth come up with 2-3 signature dishes each, so that all four main course options on longhaul flights ex-Canada are "signature options", and replace/rotate 1-2 of the options every ~two months.

Surely this shouldn't increase the catering costs too much.

And if AC ever introduces pre-ordered meals (at least from its hubs), it could simply offer the 8-10 most popular Park / Hawksworth dishes.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
24left , much respect for taking the bi bim bap to Seoul over the beef! Great pics as usual ^
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
34 from SYD had the same J menu as the last time I did it in May

I was surprised to see no rotation on the menu over 2 months (and technically, 2nd day in August)
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
The menu for AC1 says it is not available for any day I put in for September. Anyone have an idea what is being offered? I want to kjow if i should get the vegetarian instead. Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aeroman380
The menu for AC1 says it is not available for any day I put in for September. Anyone have an idea what is being offered? I want to kjow if i should get the vegetarian instead. Thanks
@aeroman380
Finding menus with AC is sometimes like solving a puzzle. We've discovered the past that menus for routes are often combined. As opposed to AC's website saying "Hey, if you want AC 1, look at AC x", sometimes you have to make some assumptions.

So, I looked at AC to NRT - AC 9 via YYC, AC 3 via YVR ad AC 5 via YUL, all for random date Sept 3.

Looks at the coding of the links

YYC is pretty clear

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da.../9_YYC_NRT.pdf

YVR-NRT and YVR-KIX are included

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._NRT%20KIX.pdf

And here we have a link that seems to indicate it is for AC 1 from YYZ-HND and AC 5 from YUL-NRT.... except someone typed HDN instead of HND

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._HDN%20NRT.pdf

So, I'll take a guess that they share the menu and also, all the menus are identical anyway.

Hope this helps unravel some of the AC Menu Mysteries.

As for vegetarian options - YMMV

Screen shot of the full menu links, to show the detail

aeroman380 likes this.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 2, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by 24left
@aeroman380
Finding menus with AC is sometimes like solving a puzzle. We've discovered the past that menus for routes are often combined. As opposed to AC's website saying "Hey, if you want AC 1, look at AC x", sometimes you have to make some assumptions.

So, I looked at AC to NRT - AC 9 via YYC, AC 3 via YVR ad AC 5 via YUL, all for random date Sept 3.

Looks at the coding of the links

YYC is pretty clear

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da.../9_YYC_NRT.pdf

YVR-NRT and YVR-KIX are included

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._NRT%20KIX.pdf

And here we have a link that seems to indicate it is for AC 1 from YYZ-HND and AC 5 from YUL-NRT.... except someone typed HDN instead of HND

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._HDN%20NRT.pdf

So, I'll take a guess that they share the menu and also, all the menus are identical anyway.

Hope this helps unravel some of the AC Menu Mysteries.

As for vegetarian options - YMMV

Screen shot of the full menu links, to show the detail

You are a wizzard. Thanks for this. Who would have thought hdn would be the code?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aeroman380
You are a wizzard. Thanks for this. Who would have thought hdn would be the code?
Ya, HDN. AC doesn't have a spell-check department anymore, or the intern quit.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Ya, HDN. AC doesn't have a spell-check department anymore, or the intern quit.
@24left

You didn't hear?
Due tu a spelling error, AC no longer flies to HND.
aeroman380 and DNAwizard like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@24left

You didn't hear?
Due tu a spelling error, AC no longer flies to HND.
LOL, I really need to find that post. It was back when the website was toothpaste shade.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:39 pm
Suspended

I just received the link to the video with the following comment "SAP has dedicated this to 24L on behalf of AC". Awww.

Air Canada: Chef Antonio Park
Published on Sep 13 2019

Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.