FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1617243-air-canada-new-meal-offerings-international-business-class-customers.html)

ACYYZ/SD Apr 19, 2019 9:07 am

Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus (Post 31016735)

I'm going to respectfully challenge that :)

The casserole perhaps - but the other tray components are unique to the Japanese/Kaiseki J/C meal which include:
Appetizers, Pickles, Noodles, Miso Soup & the Tea Presentation.

ACYYZ/SD Apr 19, 2019 9:09 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 31017132)
There are 4 of us and everyone is likely to order the Japanese meal - are there rules at AC for meal taking priority by status or seat location, or would it be useful to ask the purser after boarding to hold 4 of the Japanese meals for our group?

Meals orders are indeed taken by status. There is absolutely no issue in making your preference known during the boarding process and ahead of the meals orders to any of the Crew Members.

Stranger Apr 19, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 31017139)
Meals orders are indeed taken by status. There is absolutely no issue in making your preference known during the boarding process and ahead of the meals orders to any of the Crew Members.

However will that override the priority of status passengers? In other words, is asking ahead enough to be placed ahead on the priority list?

ACYYZ/SD Apr 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 31017582)
However will that override the priority of status passengers? In other words, is asking ahead enough to be placed ahead on the priority list?

It doesn't override anything. It just makes whoever is taking the meal orders cognizant of the preference since there is no set sequence of taking meal orders after Status Customers are looked after.

SparseFlyer Apr 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 31017866)
It doesn't override anything. It just makes whoever is taking the meal orders cognizant of the preference since there is no set sequence of taking meal orders after Status Customers are looked after.

Why is the cold sake served in its container while the warm sake is served in the serving bottle/cup?

yyznomad Apr 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 31018089)
Why is the cold sake served in its container while the warm sake is served in the serving bottle/cup?

With the cold sake container bottle (what's the brand?) do you at least get a proper cup to pour the sake into like for the warm sake?

SparseFlyer Apr 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 31018117)
With the cold sake container bottle (what's the brand?) do you at least get a proper cup to pour the sake into like for the warm sake?

Gekkeikan 月桂冠. You don't get a proper cup, you have to use the plastic cup attached to the bottle.

The Sake was OK, but a bit sweet for my taste.

yyznomad Apr 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 31018246)
Gekkeikan 月桂冠. You don't get a proper cup, you have to use the plastic cup attached to the bottle.

So maybegu @The Lev is onto somethinegu...

bocastephen Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 31018246)

At least it's a real brand in comparison to the nasty swill served by United - called "Blue Moon" or something similar.

ACYYZ/SD Apr 20, 2019 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 31018089)

I haven't flown Japan in a very long time, but if I recall...

Cold Sake is supposed to be transferred from the prepackaged bottle (including the cup) to a wine glass. Warm sake is heated in a warm "Bain-Marie" bath and transferred to a decanter with sake cup.

Chiro1979 Apr 22, 2019 12:15 pm

I was looking online for the May menu, and it says that they will be uploaded on April 19. Of course, it still hasn’t been updated! I don’t fly AC often enough to know how frequently the menu changes, but is there likely to be a menu change in May, or will it most likely be similar to the menu for April? Thanks! (The route looking at is YYZ-FCO and return).

agjil Apr 29, 2019 7:26 pm

AC56 YYZ-DXB business class food question

Hi,
I recently booked a business class ticket on AC56, YYZ-DXB.
This flight departs at 10:50 pm, which is pretty late at night.
I vaguely remember AC had a policy for serving express/light supper meals for eastbound TATL flights that depart after a certain time at night (I think it was 9 pm although I could be wrong).
I'm wondering if the same catering policy applies to the DXB flight as well, as it is technically a TATL flight but much longer than the European routes.
Has anyone flown on this flight recently?
What was the meal service like?

Wings100 Apr 29, 2019 7:35 pm

There is an express meal served immediately after takeoff but you can order what you like and eat it whenever you like. The food was much better than that served on other routes. You can check out the menu online

HerpaYvr Apr 29, 2019 8:53 pm

I did this flight three times in the last month. The crew I had was great and were very flexible with the meal orders because of the time and the fact most folks wanted to go to sleep shortly after take off.
As you are flying J all you need to do is simply make your request and you will be well looked after

yyznomad Apr 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by agjil (Post 31050646)
Hi,
I recently booked a business class ticket on AC56, YYZ-DXB.
This flight departs at 10:50 pm, which is pretty late at night.
I vaguely remember AC had a policy for serving express/light supper meals for eastbound TATL flights that depart after a certain time at night (I think it was 9 pm although I could be wrong).
I'm wondering if the same catering policy applies to the DXB flight as well, as it is technically a TATL flight but much longer than the European routes.
Has anyone flown on this flight recently?
What was the meal service like?

@agjil

Hope this helps... saw your other thread... some pertinent info in this thread regarding the express meal changes from Fall 2017 regarding late international J meal service (it is not just TATL, but system wide):

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 28965717)
Some background info here. After extensive surveys, audits and type-trials, extra-late departures have transitioned to an Express Late Supper based on Customer feedback. Particularly on YVR-SYD, a late midnight departure, the overwhelming preference was for a quick all-inclusive dinner and sleep. Pre-change, it was not uncommon on late departures to have in excess of 50% + waste, nor did it make sense to be offering the full meal deal until 0200 as Customers were nodding off.

Breakfast orders are not generally taken for the second meal service on ULH flights, as again, Customers are in sleep mode, however FF Status is observed when offering the entrees.