Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mkjr
22 pounds is not a joke. it is very reasonable to me. just pack less if you want carry on only and do laundry at your location if you have less stuff.

or check a bag and pay.

what a bunch of whiners. at least we know who has been abusing the rules.
Chill with the attitude and the accusations.

My perfectly legal carry-on weighs nearly 10lbs empty. That's almost half my allowable weight in bag alone. Add a reasonable amount of clothes, shoes, etc and it's very easy to bust the 22lbs limit set by AC.

I often have to interact with check-in staff and have had my carry-on weighed *every time* I speak with them. Guess what. I've always kept it under the limit. So relax with branding people rule-abusing "whiners"
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by mkjr
22 pounds is not a joke. it is very reasonable to me. just pack less if you want carry on only and do laundry at your location if you have less stuff.
I took me a long time to learn how to pack in 22 pounds for anything more than a day. It's not easy, particularly in winter.

Getting a shoulder bag helped. AC increasing the weight limit a few pounds would help more.

I hope AC takes notice of Westjet's change and reacts appropriately.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
they'll need scales and sizers to show the passenger's bag is explicitly oversized/overweight.
I think in the 'oversize' department most people will be fine with it and accept the enforcement.

As others have said, I think if they enforce 'overweight' it will induce the rage - I suspect many many rollaboards (likely mine included) fit well within the size range, but weigh more than 10 kg.

...unfortunately, enforcing the weight will be where the real checked baggage revenue will start to flow.

Last edited by gglave; Sep 30, 2014 at 1:46 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by stevescott1983
I applaud this because nothing is worse than seeing people trying to pull off two check-in sized bags as their standard carry-on and personal item.

However I do hope they use common sense. My favourite carry-on is 25x40x50 and that fits BA's dimensions of 25x45x56 which is too big for AC's 23x40x55. Recently I was on Qantas who have the sensible policy of total dimension of 115cm per bag - although their max weight is only 7kg so I had to fill my pockets as they were weighing bags!
^

I have a Heys lightweight hard-shell. it may not be as upscale as what others are using. However, it is 23x39x53 cm, slightly under AC's 23x40x55cm
It only weighs 3.3 kg empty. Even when full, it rarely goes over 10kg based on what I pack. Fits perfectly in 320/321 bins with room to throw coat on top, some of the 763's (not the 25 year-old ones). I leave it at home if I am on any RJs. Recently used back-pack instead for same-day and one-day trips.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 30, 2014 at 2:03 pm Reason: cm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:15 pm

Luggage nazis out in full force at SFO.

This is gonna be bad, folks. Bad.

Just expect gate congestion, anger, SNAFU, brutal.

Gotta love an airline that loves it customers!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Luggage nazis out in full force at SFO.

This is gonna be bad, folks. Bad.

Just expect gate congestion, anger, SNAFU, brutal.

Gotta love an airline that loves it customers!
If I can comment I my own thread, it's going to be bad, because it will just make the boarding congestion just so much worse. Expect the boarding process to go to hell in the next few weeks as the policy is enforced and over-enthusiastic GA's get mental on this.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by yvr76
Did he have status? Did he have to pay to check-in? I would not be happy with this.
@yvr76 - no status. At YYZ, he was forced to pay as it was after US Pre-clearance, but before the security screening where you drop off your bags.

At SFO, no charge as he was already at the gate.

He's pissed, and will be filing a complaint.

Last edited by Jebby_ca; Sep 30, 2014 at 3:38 pm Reason: Updated post
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Some varied opinions but little light on safety issues of overhead bins (ie. where is the evidence that 8 kg is safe and 11 or even 18 kg is not). One might argue that nothing should be overhead (except fluffy pillows of course)

Continental (when they were CO) expanded their bins to accommodate carryon so they obviously weren't concerned about safety from weight perspective.

Seems strange that there are no carryon weight limits for many N. American airlines, just size so it makes you wonder if the regulators don't really care either.

In any event, I posted to the AC rep thread that I think 18 kg or 40 pounds is just fine as a max (most would not use that weight--I rarely have) so long as the size restrictions are enforced. This provides a good balance between weight and size so all/most pax needs can be accommodated.

I would even go so far as to say I would pay $25 for a carryon bag over a certain weight limit (say 10 kg) so I could keep it with me provided it did not slow down boarding. Sometimes things are too valuable, too fragile to check but still fit in the legal carryon by dimensions.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Let me get this right...

On certain routes, AC flies aircraft variants that don't fit conforming carry-on luggage while not offering sky-check?

If so, that's a very real problem (irrespective of any new enforcement).
The Q and the 705 have the smallest bins and will take a regulation sized bag, even one that's a bit thicker then regulation size, as long as it's got some give.

I can even get my crew bag, which is right at regulation size into the bin of a CRJ200, but it's a really tight fit if I have even a pair of socks in an outside compartment, it wont fit. The bin doesn't sound like it likes it very much.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
When AC introduced the bag charge, many FF said it was about time. The non-status Tango buying public should pay. As it turns out, AC will now size and check carry-ons for everybody; VIPs, SEs, Elites, Tangoers...... As I always say, it is soon to rejoice any enhancement to "them" because it has a way of biting "us" where it can hurt. Everyone must now buy a tape and scale to size before leaving home. Actually, you may want to carry them with you just in case you expand at the Airport. Maybe shop; maybe repack after security!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Agreed. Non status Tangoers should pay. When one travels every week, some flexibility should be afforded. Not saying one should break the rules, but the rules should be rewritten around FF's. No amount of eups will take me away from being over 10kg. I hope AC rewrites it's weight policy (size I understand) to be "aligned with Westjet", otherwise I may take my business elsewhere as 30 minutes a flight waiting for a bag (if that) is stupid.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:12 pm

About 4 weeks ago the thread "They actually used the carry-on sizer!" was met here with "about bloody time" and similar shouts of joy. So now the approach has gone system-wide, I am somewhat bemused (and the Bens must be smiling) to see all these "But they better not touch MY stuff" responses...

As someone who is married to a Power-Shopper-and-then-some, who vacuums up El Paseo in Palm Desert and Times Square in Causeway Bay on a yearly basis, carry-on only is out of my reach. (In fact, we often come home with a new suitcase that we didn't have on the way out.)

The change in opinion in 4 weeks about sizing the carry-ons is interesting to watch, though.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Whats wrong with wheels if the are within the dimensions?
Nothing per se. But hard sided/wheeled carry-on bags do not compress. My duffle can be stuffed (if necessary) into a small opening. Actually the sizer in and of itself is flawed. If my duffle is longer than the sizer but can compress by 6 inches + (i.e. when the bin is closed) then what's the problem (other than my clothes getting squished)?

Plus wheels allow for people to over-estimate what they can haul around the airport. No one will convince me otherwise on this one. Wheels on carry-ons

Finally, because of my poor leather duffle's ability to compress the evil wheel carry-on bags crush it with their hard-sided heft.

PS - I'm just taking the piss a bit. Consistent rules is obviously the way to go.

PPS - No, but seriously, I'm judging you if you have wheels on your carry-on. Silently judging.

PPPS - No just kidding, you're all great.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Some varied opinions but little light on safety issues of overhead bins (ie. where is the evidence that 8 kg is safe and 11 or even 18 kg is not). One might argue that nothing should be overhead (except fluffy pillows of course)

Continental (when they were CO) expanded their bins to accommodate carryon so they obviously weren't concerned about safety from weight perspective.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean safety from something falling or similar. What I meant is that there is a tolerance from the aircraft manufacture as to how much weight can actually be in the bins, ie: what the bins are rated to be able to hold.

So I fully support and hope that the weight limit is increased but I of course don't want them to risk exceeding the manufacture weight limit on the bins.

Now yes, many airlines have eliminated the limit saying simply that you have to be able to lift it into the bin unassisted. They have clearly done the study to figure out that they can do this without hitting the limit. If this is the case all the better!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Silvercity
Completely disagree. I use a Rimowa Sala Air with wheels. That is 100% IATA compatible and weights no more than 5.5lbs. It takes up less room and space than any duffle bag of yours.
Yes, but now AC wants to force you to hand over your $700 carry-on to pearson baggage handling so that they can manage to break it in a single trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.