Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:21 am

Back when I was a kid, my local airport had a metal (rectangular) 'ring' in front of security (in the area between security and check-in).

If your carry-on didn't fit through that metal sizer, it was checked. End of story.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ
I still think the easiest way to do this is say "no wheels allowed" in the airplane. That'd remove 95% of the offending carry-on (the other 5% being huge backpacks) and would leave me and my duffle bag unscathed.

If you can't carry it on, then you shouldn't carry-on.

Whats wrong with wheels if the are within the dimensions?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Paid F
I hate any rules like this because they threaten my hidden-city ticketing habit. No checked bags, you see.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ
I still think the easiest way to do this is say "no wheels allowed" in the airplane. That'd remove 95% of the offending carry-on (the other 5% being huge backpacks) and would leave me and my duffle bag unscathed.

If you can't carry it on, then you shouldn't carry-on.
Completely disagree. I use a Rimowa Sala Air with wheels. That is 100% IATA compatible and weights no more than 5.5lbs. It takes up less room and space than any duffle bag of yours.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:54 am

They need to crack down on the people who bring a 24" suitcase, a "purse" big enough to hide a fridge in + a shopping bag or two.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
Focus on dimensions. I don't care if you want to bring a toaster or a change of clothes and I don't care if the container has wheels. All I care is that there are dimensions and that the item meets the dimensions.
The official sizes are a little small to be totally honest. If it fits in the overhead (wheels in or out) it should be aloud.

I avoid checking luggage like ebola (too soon?). When I see people checking small bags I think, amiture hour.

I dread the day I am forced to check my tote behind. I have never, not been able to fit my bag in the overhead. Yes I WILL be part of the "I have never had to check this bag before" crowd.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
I applaud this because nothing is worse than seeing people trying to pull off two check-in sized bags as their standard carry-on and personal item.

However I do hope they use common sense. My favourite carry-on is 25x40x50 and that fits BA's dimensions of 25x45x56 which is too big for AC's 23x40x55. Recently I was on Qantas who have the sensible policy of total dimension of 115cm per bag - although their max weight is only 7kg so I had to fill my pockets as they were weighing bags!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Focus on dimensions. I don't care if you want to bring a toaster or a change of clothes and I don't care if the container has wheels. All I care is that there are dimensions and that the item meets the dimensions.
Agree.
I'd just add that the dimensions should be revisited. 22" tall fits wheels-in overhead on 320/737 etc.
Cap the width at whatever and bring a credit card swipe machine on board for any ignorant passengers lugging bags on that don't fit wheels in/out.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AP SE
Originally Posted by 24left
I notice that for my recent DL flights YYZ-ATL, mostly RJs, have an interesting process at the gate. Whether you have Super Diamond Platinum MM on your tag or not, if it has wheels, the GAs come around with pink/orange tags for gate checking. Everyone followed instructions, not a single complaint, we all boarded and left ahead of schedule.
I've been doing YYZ-ATL as well, and the pink tags are for "gate checked" which get returned to you at the arrival gate.

Unfortunately, AC doesn't seem to have implemented this on its CRJ flights (i.e. YYZ-EWR) where LEGAL carry-ons don't fit in the overhead bins.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mromalley
They need to crack down on the people who bring a 24" suitcase, a "purse" big enough to hide a fridge in + a shopping bag or two.
^^^
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Genetk44
^^^
This.

The weight restriction (10 kg) is absurd. Double that, as long as it meets dimensions. And it isn't E/SE crowd I see that is the problem. They usually only have 2 bags (3 including purse if female). It is the people with too many bags and bags that aren't the right dimension. No need to be particular on any demographic because it crosses them all.

Last time they did this they usually took one look at the SE tags and just waved me on. They are really going to anger some good customers if they are religious about weighing all bags.

As others have said: when the checked baggage service is so deeply atrocious, it is offensive to have to check a bag. It is deeply atrocious both in the time it takes to get your bag after landing, and atrocious in the level of service available to your average member if it goes missing. Yes, I have had a concierge help me once or twice. But I would hate to have to deal with the system (that doesn't even have a # to call) without them. And the "insured amounts" are so laughably small--that is another real problem. If you are going to carry my bag, you take responsibility for it and its contents, and you have to replace them if you lose them. Even if that costs you $15k or something. It is high time airlines lived up to reasonable responsibilities and expectations on luggage.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mromalley
She was on my AC796 from LAX. I think she had the fridge in her rolling bag and the toaster was in her purse.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by yvr76
The main issue with this is weight. My carry-on is legal size, but 10kg is very easy to exceed. The US airlines have size restrictions, but no weight restrictions. Pretty sure a lot of us will be irate once our legal size carry-ons have to get checked due to being overweight by a couple pounds.
For me - this is the big thing. Once you get a small Tumi T3 bag - add the camera equipment / lenses - the power cables and transformers for all the electronics, add your laptop and then a single change of clothes (no shoes) plus minor liquids - I have had my carry-on be as much as 25 kg. It's a heavy one (and my wife gets on at me about it). However - I lift it all myself - I am almost always in business - and there are no real alternatives to the crazy weight that some of these things have.

When I travel - I actually aim to make my carry-on as light as possible. Long walks through the LHR / FRA / YYZ or other connecting airports have made me learn to keep it light. Sometimes - however - it is just not possible.

It's been a while since I had domestic-Y but having remembered my old days flying in the US - even 15 years ago - it was a disaster. Back then, the poor delivery of bags (mostly due to the hub-spoke system) meant that people carried on bags or they did not often see them for a week.

I have to say that approx. 50% of the time - when I arrive in Zurich one bag does not arrive. I am an expert at reporting lost luggage / following up on worldtracer (it's a shortcut in my browser) and waiting for delivery. . . .

Anyhow - back to the topic - I just can't see that they are going to weigh the bags. I am all for the sizing and pushing back on people with too much stuff (if your personal item borders on a full-size carryon - you really have to check one of the pieces) but a weight restriction - is going a bit far and would be really tough for me with my heavily-constructed carryon bag.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by Slalom01
Unfortunately, AC doesn't seem to have implemented this on its CRJ flights (i.e. YYZ-EWR) where LEGAL carry-ons don't fit in the overhead bins.
Time to remeasure your luggage. Excepting the port side of the J cabin, conforming carry-on luggage does fit the CRJ fleet. In fact, it fits easily.

Whether or not one owns a conforming carry-on (and can pack it under the weight limit) probably determines opinions on this policy.

For those worried about it, think of it as an opportunity to buy new luggage. Lot's of good advice on this elsewhere on FT.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Just blame the victim and penalise accordingly. AC decides to charge for bags even for infants and then calls on the army to enforce the new money gabbing rule with sizers and all. Now we have a one size fits all. If you connect from E90 to 77L, your carry-on must fit the low side of E90. Get into 77L and J bins can take a cow. Ah, talk about boarding delay. With the army insisting on correct measurements, fights and arguments included, the plane may actually take off 15 minutes behind schedule. And here we are extoling the new order. What's the h**k, it is not me; it is the other pax's fault. Scrap the charge and the sizer and its police force could disappear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.