Anyone use a CPAP on board?

Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
In theory, yes, but the effectiveness of the CPAP is over the long-term health profile of the patient. It would be difficult to argue that a single sleep session without the machine could pose a life-or-death risk to the patient. Frankly, if that was the case, that patient shouldn't be boarding an ordinary commercial flight!
That is exactly what Mrs.yyckiwi who is a MD and now uses a VPAP said when I mentioned this topic to her.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
I've been holding off on booking an Asia or Europe trip because of the current restrictions on CPAP usage, and it has limited my transcontinental options, too. I have, however, noticed that many other Star Alliance carriers permit their usage; I may travel to Europe this summer with one of them.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:06 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Recent issues

I think I must be marked as disabled in the AC system because I use a CPAP a lot. As a result, I can't complete check in online and I think that's the reason. Also, I can no longer sit in the exit row, even when it's not an overnight flight and I'm not using the CPAP. I can still select exit row but I get bumped out before check in (last time to a middle row near the back of the plane. Thankfully was able to switch to an aisle). For my last flight, my boarding zone should have been zone 1, but it was marked as PRE. Any other CPAP users having these issues?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by islandcub1
I've been holding off on booking an Asia or Europe trip because of the current restrictions on CPAP usage, and it has limited my transcontinental options, too. I have, however, noticed that many other Star Alliance carriers permit their usage; I may travel to Europe this summer with one of them.
Interesting. I have a trip vooked to Europe in a pod this Fall. Was planning on using my CPAP. I could go without it, just that I snore without it. Just looking out for other passengers
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:57 pm

Issue with CPAP is that it is an aerosol generating procedure, which has been a concern through Covid.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
Until further notice, as a temporary COVID-19 measure, we no longer allow the use of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) or Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure (BPAP) machines for sleep apnea during flights.
Interesting that they call out CPAP and BiPAP, but not APAP. All my machines are APAPs, so I guess I'm OK (though I generally don't need to use one in flight).
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:15 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
CPAP are okay for use now. I used to on my YYZ-DXB flight and it was approved by the AC medical desk.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by shonamac
Air Canada, as with so many other issues, are totally anal about CPAP usage. Just as the OP's acquaintance experienced, I have happily used my CPAP on some J flights, whereas on a couple of other legs the FA decided to be a Nazi. That is one reason why I have stopped flying AC in J.
exactly !!! I fly BA overseas. They not only let you sue the airplane power ports. During the pandemic I could use is without my mask and as my CPAP uses an N99 filter, I was safer breathing through my cpap nasal mask than wearing a regular mask. The use of medical CPAP is considered a medical exemption to the mask policy when it was in place
On air Canada if you need to use it you can you just need and external battery supply which anyone with CPAP should have. Mine without using the humidifier can run in batter for over 6 hrs
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Interesting that they call out CPAP and BiPAP, but not APAP. All my machines are APAPs, so I guess I'm OK (though I generally don't need to use one in flight).
for all intense and purposes APAP is the same as CPAP (not bipap) APAP just auto sets the pressure - starts off low and climbs depending on need to overcome the obstruction where as CPAP is preset and doesnt change
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:02 pm

Can confirm, brought mine on our roundtrip flight from YYZ-LHR, did not end up using it but it was acknowledged at the check-in that if need be, I was free to use it.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K
Emailed the AC Medical Desk today asking permission for use of a APAP for a TPAC in 12 days time. They phoned me back within 30 minutes to ask reason for use (Sleep Apnea or other). They then added note to PNR and said I was all set… reminded me that I had to use battery power and no aircraft power should be used for the unit. Easy and fast customer service from AC.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Has anyone seen the ResMed Airmini for sale anywhere? Everywhere I look it is out of stock
https://www.cpapnow.ca/product/resme...-travel-cpap-1
This is where I picked up my AirMIni from.

And this one here is where I picked up my S11 from, but they also have the Minis, and their pices look to include the setuppacks?
https://canadiancpapsupply.com/colle...=5415443890217
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:16 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by YEGDad
https://www.cpapnow.ca/product/resme...-travel-cpap-1
This is where I picked up my AirMIni from.

And this one here is where I picked up my S11 from, but they also have the Minis, and their pices look to include the setuppacks?
https://canadiancpapsupply.com/colle...=5415443890217
Thank you! I have to figure out if out of province sellers get authorization from my insurance company for reimbursement... Appreciate the links.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Managed to find myself a ResMed AirMini, and a way to power it off a battery bank for my safari trip! It's a bit finicky, and the start-up procedure is a bit interesting when connected to the Anker 737 Powercore 24K. I have to basically hold my breath and not breathe in for the first 15-20 seconds while the AirMini ramps up, otherwise the power draw seems to trip the overcurrent protection of the battery bank which will then cut the power. Once it has enough pressure I think it will sustain it fine. Will be doing an overnight test this week to see how long it can last, the on board power consumption meter estimates ~12-13hours or so, fluctuating up and down a bit with the power draw. The max that I've seen the AirMini draw is 19W while I deliberately made my mask leak, otherwise it settles in around 9W or so during an inhale. The power adapter from USB-C to AirMini 24V is a bit finicky, it's clearly handmade (BixPower in California) and I had to shave down the connector edges a bit to ensure a snugger/deeper fit.

It happily fits into my Peak Design Medium Camera Cube's extra space after the camera and lenses gets packed in, which also actually helps keep the camera gear from moving around. I do have to pack the mask separately though (Philips Dreamwear full face).

Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Please note that the moderators have had a number of member comments about how far off topic this thread has wandered. I'd like to ask that we try to get this thread back to discussing use of CPAP machines on Air Canada, and point out that there are several venues that would be more suited to discuss CPAP use in general, best CPAP machines, where to obtain them, etc, including a recent thread in OMNI about sleep apnea, and the Travel Products and Travel Technology forums.

Thank you.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.