Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Using United.com to look for aeroplan award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:40 am
Original Poster

I am using the united.com to search for the economy reward ticket, should I look at the column under the economy saver award, and assuming the miles and fee shown is about the same that aeroplan will charge me?
Any input is appreciated.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by lingecw
I am using the united.com to search for the economy reward ticket, should I look at the column under the economy saver award, and assuming the miles and fee shown is about the same that aeroplan will charge me?
You might be better of searching on Aeroplan as their fees will differ if the carrier you plan to use levies fuel surcharges. Also, the mileage cost may be different as the two programs are run independently even though they belong to the same alliance.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:06 am

No, both the fees and miles can vary as Aeroplan has fuel surcharges and a different award chart. See aeroplan's to determine how many miles you need and a paid fare on ITA to see what fuel surcharges you need to pay unless you're flying a carrier where ap doesn't levy fuel surcharge.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
United's site is often better and easier for seeing *A availability although they have been known to not show some airlines from time to time. As long as you don't have status with UA the saver inventory is the same, but as others have said the fees will not be.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:21 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The MPM is also calibrated differently on the United website. It's 10% if i recall correctly versus 5% on AE.

You may find a route that works on the United site that is not permitted to be booked by Aeroplan.

Aside from that, its a great place for finding space.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
The MPM is also calibrated differently on the United website. It's 10% if i recall correctly versus 5% on AE.

You may find a route that works on the United site that is not permitted to be booked by Aeroplan.

Aside from that, its a great place for finding space.
There are no MPM restrictions for UA awards, but there are routing rules that are different than Aeroplan's

The fees will CERTAINLY not be the same, even on short haul itineraries, Aeroplan will almost always be higher.

There is no LO, ZH, AI displayed on united.com
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The fees will CERTAINLY not be the same, even on short haul itineraries, Aeroplan will almost always be higher.

There is no LO, ZH, AI displayed on united.com
Add SQ to the list of carriers not displayed on the UA award engine.

Fees and miles required will be much, much different in some cases. Remember looking up CMH-YYZ RT at one point. AC wanted 15,000 + $165 in taxes/fees. UA wanted 20,000 (short haul <700 mile RT award price for them) and about $60. On the old PMUA, a couple of years before the merger, the fee only would've been $5 I think - they used to not add customs/immigration fees either.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
On the old PMUA, a couple of years before the merger, the fee only would've been $5 I think - they used to not add customs/immigration fees either.
Not a chance, the YYZ AIF alone is $25

What is interesting is that UA is charging proper taxes (the $60 you talk about), and somehow Air Canada manages to get another $105 from you.

So the options are:

Either UA is so gracious that they are willing to fork out $105 for your ticket out of their pockets to cover these fees, or AC is collecting $105 that should not be collected covered up in fictional "taxes"
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Some options will also appear on carriers that are UA partners without being AC partners, Aer Lingus is one example.

Overall however if you know the limitations, it is my favourite free search tool.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the inputs. I appreciated.

So I think I will use aeroplan website to do the main search and assist by United.

"emcampbe" mentioned UA doesn't list SQ award seats, how do I ensure I have all SQ seats available? Is there is a way to search award seats by airline? I would like to find out al available seats for FCO-TPE in August. Rather than checking day by day with aeroplan, is there a better way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.