Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transfer 300,000 CC points to Aeroplan??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer 300,000 CC points to Aeroplan??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:28 am
alc

recall someone said that the new UA MP *A reward chart for F/J required a lot miles then Aeroplan for some location. So in a way, you pay the tax with your miles. or did I misunderstood those comments in the past. If this is true, OP might want to first check where OP want to go before making that decision.

Question for OP - do you want to close all your US CC now, or can you wait a few months or until next annual fee kick-in.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
What Chase cards let you move points to AC?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
recall someone said that the new UA MP *A reward chart for F/J required a lot miles then Aeroplan for some location. So in a way, you pay the tax with your miles. or did I misunderstood those comments in the past. If this is true, OP might want to first check where OP want to go before making that decision.

Question for OP - do you want to close all your US CC now, or can you wait a few months or until next annual fee kick-in.
I can wait a bit, but would prefer to just get it done. I also realized that Chase only lets you transfer to a small number of partners: Travel programs include British Airways Executive Club, Korean Air SKYPASS, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®, United MileagePlus®, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Amtrak Guest Rewards®, Hyatt Gold Passport®, Priority Club® Rewards, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®.

So looks like these will go to United, as other options aren't really options. Except perhaps Hyatt, but I am not familiar with this program, so might just keep it simple.

Thanks, again for all the posts.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
I would transfer them to SPG. Then you can transfer SPG points to aeroplan. For every 20,000 points you transfer, you get a 5,000 aeroplan point bonus. Combine the windfall with your 200,000 points that already exist, and you're looking at a few nice trips in F, so long as your flexible.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
According to this thread, 3 MR points transfers to 1 SPG point, so probably not a good idea.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...wards-spg.html
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
If the OP's goal is to use the points for overseas vacations, I would definitely transfer them to UA rather than Aeroplan. Although flights to Europe on UA will require a US connection, the cost will be far, far less than what they will pay in Aeroplan scamcharges. That $650 surcharge usually works out to around $150 on UA. Fly up front and it's generally around $1,100 in scamcharges on AC, versus just around $300 on UA.

United also offers about the same, or perhaps better, redemption offers than AC (and probably a bit better than Delta).

Total no-brainer.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booking tickets with UA MP will not require a US connection.

You can book an AC flight and the only difference is the scam charges will be 1/10 of those booked with AE. Mileage required may be more.

OK here's an example:

YYZ-CDG Apr 7-15/15 AC direct flight both ways

On UA MP
Y: 60K miles + $121.30
J: 140K miles + $175.50

On AC AE
Y: 60K miles + $610.46
J: 90K miles +$1071.26

Last edited by margarita girl; Aug 21, 2014 at 7:22 am
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Correct.

And flights to Europe on UA metal will require the connection. Depending where I'm off to, I sometimes prefer to connect in the US and fly direct to destination from there. It's sometimes easier to connect where I can speak the language, and while I'm still semi-awake :-)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I misread your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.