Search

Air Canada Status Match - Success

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by ibopm
Which airline is AB again? Air Berlin?

I was under the impression that he faked some screenshots and just sent it to AC.
Absolutely not.

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
OP used 2013 Air Berlin status to get AC 2014 status. He did not have 2014 status with Air Berlin, yet says he explained that to AC and they status matched him anyway. I somewhat doubt it unless OP is honest and AC made a mistake, because AC would not give someone a status match when they no longer have status from the airline they are applying from.

If AC were to give him an accurate status match, it would be from 0 to 0.

People who fly Air Canada regularly have the opportunity to earn AC status legitimately on miles flown or segments. If one can't even make P25, they aren't what I'd call regular AC flyers.
No deceit at all. I originally sent the first contact in April, when the card was valid. Months later they asked me to resend it. Indeed, when I resent it, I made a statement that the card isn't currently valid, but was when I sent the first contact.

Here's the entire email trail for those interested (with only my personal information blocked out). It's tiring to be called a scammer, deceitful, a liar, etc. The emails are ordered with the oldest first. All the best!

To whom it may concern,

Please find attached a scanned copy of my Air Berlin Gold card (OneWorld Sapphire). Please kindly consider status matching me — my AeroPlan number is XXX-XXX-XXX. [number omitted]

Many thanks,

[name omitted]
Thank you for your interest in Air Canada Altitude. We will review your request and get back to you within 2 weeks.

Kindly ensure that you have included all required information in your email:
-Your name and Aeroplan number
-A scanned copy of your valid US Airways Dividend Miles Preferred membership card (your name, status and the expiry date on the card must be clearly visible)
-Your consent to the Terms & Conditions of this offer
Best regards,
The Air Canada Altitude team

Merci de votre intéręt pour Air Canada Altitude. Nous réviserons votre demande et nous vous donnerons plus de détails dans les deux prochaines semaines.
S'il vous plaît vous assurer que vous avez inclus toute l'information nécessaire dans votre courriel:
-votre nom et votre numéro Aéroplan
-une copie numérisée de votre carte de membre US Airways Dividend Miles Preferred (votre nom, statut et la date d'expiration de la carte doivent ętre visibles)
-votre consentement aux modalités et conditions de cette offre.
Sincčrement,
L'équipe Air Canada Altitude
Hello,
Thank you for your interest in a status match into Air Canada Altitude.

Unfortunately, there is information missing in your request. Kindly ensure all of the following items are included in one single email:
-Scanned copy of your current frequent flyer membership card (your name, the status and the expiry date must be clearly visible)
-Your Aeroplan number
-Proof of at least one flight activity on an Air Canada operated flight
Once received, we will review your request.

Thank you and best regards,
Air Canada Loyalty Marketing
Hello,

Please find the following information:

1) AB Status card attached. NOTE: The original email was sent when the card status was active, but has since expired.
2) XXX XXX XXX [number omitted]
3) Proof of Air Canada activity attached.

Many thanks,

[name omitted]
Hello,

We apologize for the delayed response to your status match request.
I am, however, pleased to confirm that we've matched your status to Altitude Elite 50K, which will entitle you to many privileges, such as Priority Airport and Reservation services, eUpgrade Credits, Star Alliance Gold recognition, and many more. Your status will become effective in our systems in 48 hours, and you will be invited to choose your Select Privileges by logging in to altitude.aircanada.com.

Kindly note that we will not match your status again in the future. Going forward, you will be required to meet the published qualifying criteria in order to reach any Air Canada Altitude status.

With kindest regards,
Air Canada Loyalty Marketing

Last edited by durberville; Aug 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
So the only concern here is that OP submitted a 2013 instead of 2014 status to be matched? And AC approved it somehow (maybe by mistake)? I don't see what the big deal is.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by ibopm
So the only concern here is that OP submitted a 2013 instead of 2014 status to be matched? And AC approved it somehow? (maybe by mistake) I don't see what the big deal is.
No, people are mad because the AB status that I had was in itself a matched status.

I submit that I never did anything deceitful (I hope you come to the same conclusion after a read of the emails), played within the rules, etc. Other folks believe that I have committed a scam, am deceitful, morally unsound, etc.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
How did you get the status match with AB?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:00 am

Air Canada Status Match - Success

no big deal. People are over reacting! Keep up the good blogging
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
I have to say that its quite pathetic to sit here and read all of the die hard, bleeding hearts out there moaning about the supposed morality of asking for and receiving a status match from an airline.

To use words like 'scam' and 'un-ethical' is just laughable as we're talking about airline frequent flyer progam status and not something more severe such as robbing a bank or committing murder, although if one didnt know better they would think the OP has committed a mortal sin.

At the end of the day, OP asked AC for a status match as per their own policy and they gave it to him. For those who think this is wrong, or somehow deceitful perhaps you should write to AC and tell them just how upset you are because you had to sit in their planes in order to get their status (or did you?) whereas someone else was given it gratis.

I suppose all of those people who used to credit UA and US flights to their AE account pre-altitude were also scamming because the flights were cheaper on the US carriers?!? Or how about those people who credit to A3 and obtain *G status for a fraction of what it takes to get the same on AC??

Or perhaps the biggest issue here is that the OP might be the one to take the last crusty tortilla chip or cookie from the lounge when one of the 'holier than thou' had their heart set on the same?!?

Honestly people, if you've got nothing better to do with your time than get upset over what's posted in an online forum than it truly is a sad day and this board has sunk to an all time low.

Get outside and enjoy the nice weather!!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:24 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Some people may argue that people taking advantage of status match offers who clearly aren't targetted by the airlines make life much harder for those who do have a genuine interest in shifting business from another airline to AC.
Pretty common on FT:

Day 1: "Waaaaaah Altitude has been devalued!"
Day 2: "Hey I found a way to get more free stuff from Air Canada without paying more, thereby costing the airline money!"
Day 3: "Waaaaaah Altitude has been devalued again!"
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: FT
I would think some apologies from the AC fanboys are in order. Doubt it will happen though.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by c_9
Pretty common on FT:

Day 1: "Waaaaaah Altitude has been devalued!"
Day 2: "Hey I found a way to get more free stuff from Air Canada without paying more, thereby costing the airline money!"
Day 3: "Waaaaaah Altitude has been devalued again!"
You forgot to quote the part about my not caring particularly either way.

The discussion basically boils down to:

OP matched his status from airline x to AB and then used that matched status to get AC status.

Most will agree that this is not what the airlines had in mind when offering status matches - they're obviously interested in attracting real FFers, not people who once had status with one airline and leveraged it to get matches in multiple programs.

As far as I can tell his behaviour doesn't violate the T&C, whether his behaviour is "(un)ethical" / "helps other FFers" / "makes life harder for other FFers who have a genuine reason to request a status match" is a discussion I'm personally not particularly interested in having. But it should be no surprise that not everyone is complimenting the OP.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:36 am
Suspended

You forgot to quote the part about my not caring particularly either way.

The discussion basically boils down to:

OP matched his status from airline x to AB and then used that matched status to get AC status.

Most will agree that this is not what the airlines had in mind when offering status matches - they're obviously interested in attracting real FFers, not people who once had status with one airline and leveraged it to get matches in multiple programs.

As far as I can tell his behaviour doesn't violate the T&C, whether his behaviour is "(un)ethical" / "helps other FFers" / "makes life harder for other FFers who have a genuine reason to request a status match" is a discussion I'm personally not particularly interested in having. But it should be no surprise that not everyone is complimenting the OP.
One of my family members had her UA gold status matched. It took about 10 weeks, and involved her sending a copy of her card as well as current flight reservations for travel on AC. Based on her booking several upcoming trips on AC, she was matched her status. UA status was actually achieved by buying up to *G on UA because she was about 1000 miles short. The reason she switched is because most her travel now is out of Canada instead of connecting through US gateways.

I don't think OP did anything wrong.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:39 am

I have heard people got status match with their "FREE" CX MPC from AMEX Platinum, that's no different than OP here either

If airline wanted to restrict status match, they could easily follow some hotel's process by asking for actual "flying activity" screenshot to prove one stays at a hotel/fly X airline
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AC 75K

You could say the same for things like the coined Mexican Hat Dance. Wasn't what the airline had in mind, but many took advantage of it.

These forums are full of loopholes that people take advantage of.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by durberville
No, people are mad because the AB status that I had was in itself a matched status.

I submit that I never did anything deceitful (I hope you come to the same conclusion after a read of the emails), played within the rules, etc. Other folks believe that I have committed a scam, am deceitful, morally unsound, etc.
I suspect a lot of us missed what the fuss was all about by virtue of showing up here after everything was edited. From what I've read in the posts that have followed (that are still available), you've done nothing wrong.

Originally Posted by rehoult
People doing crap like this is the reason airlines and hotels are hesitant to offer matches in the first place. And bragging about it certainly won't help convince AC to continue offering it, which hurts those who actually have a real need/reason for such a match.
Airlines and hotels don't 'hesitate' to offer matches 'in the first place'. If they think they stand to gain, they will offer the match no matter how many times it hasnt worked out in the past. The onus is on the frequent traveler to prove the company can benefit from their loyalty switch, not the other way around. Companies could care less about anyone's "real need/reason" for a match; they certainly wouldn't consider it unless it suited them.

Originally Posted by rehoult
In terms of aggression, this community (AC forum), has watched as key benefits of the program like IKK and upgrade sharing get gutted due to abuse by a limited number of status holders. As a result, we're quite touchy to people who openly advocate abuse (understanding that ethical lines differ between people) as such behavior frequently has bad results for the entire community.
Were the benefits gutted because of abuse by 'a limited number of' FFers or were they gutted because that is the general trend in the industry (as we've been reminded time and again over here and in other forums). And if we're going into ethics, is collective punishment for the transgressions of a few, 'ethical'?

I don't see status matches as harming the integrity of a FF program any more than, say, the AC VIP program, which focuses on what the airline might gain from someone in the future, as opposed to what it already has over the previous year.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
If this example, and your further revelations about having scammed the system to get STARGold with A3 and TK, you've clearly established how low your ethical standards are. Yes, in this community we share legitimate and ethical ways of maximizing benefits from these programs. However, this is not a community of scammers and you've clearly established your credentials in that respect.
How do you scam a system by following the rules laid out within the system, where the final arbiters on whether the rules are being followed or not, are the ones who designed the system and set the rules?

That aside, am I the only one finding it ironic that the same people who're going on about scams and bemoaning the lack of 'ethical standards' among certain FFers, are the ones who accuse the (presumably ethically wronged) airlines of scamming frequent flyers and travellers through, amongst other things, 'scamcharges'.

Its all so odd.

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
He did it for the book and movie deals.
Stars in his eyes
^^

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I suppose AC in this case was trying to appear to be more compassionate by granting an SM, but how automatic was it? As I note above, what tale of woe did the OP give AC? He only posted half the story even in the unedited initial post here and on his blog.
Did AC do it out of compassion?

Or did they take a cold hard look at his status as well as his travel patterns on AC metal and determine that they stood to gain something out of giving him a reason to fly them more?

Cold hard corporate logic suggests that the latter is infinitely more likely than the former case.

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
People who fly Air Canada regularly have the opportunity to earn AC status legitimately on miles flown or segments. If one can't even make P25, they aren't what I'd call regular AC flyers.
And people who dont fly AC regularly have the opportunity to earn AC status legitimately... through the VIP program, even if, in the words of Peter Fitzpatrick, they "may not actually fly that much".

AC status matched OP because they think he will bring them revenue. If he doesn't, he'll lose his status in a year or so.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by yulred
AC status matched OP because they think he will bring them revenue. If he doesn't, he'll lose his status in a year or so.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winnar! In one simple word its called Marketing!

Same thing where lots of stores now are "price matching" I wouldn't be surprise if Airlines will start Price Matching in the next few years.

Concept of price matching or status matching is taking the business away from the competition.

Last edited by BRAISKI; Aug 5, 2014 at 7:50 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:49 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Much ado about nothing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.