Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge Access Policy Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge Access Policy Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:58 pm

I'm here in the YYC MLL now and the chairs are all rough. It's about 1/3rd full at 2pm.

It's not fantastic, but it's certainly not "criminal", beats a United Club six ways til Sunday....
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:30 pm

Will I be fine to use the lounge on a aeroplan J reward ticket to NRT on Aug 31st?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by gillftr
Will I be fine to use the lounge on a aeroplan J reward ticket to NRT on Aug 31st?
Yes.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
I know work is being done on it, but the maple leaf lounge in Calgary needs immediate attention.

Reducing the number of visitors to the lounge, or waiting to end of 2015 is not going to work.

Basic plumbing and furniture needs repair or replacement immediately without delay.

These are pics from today from the MLL in Calgary. It's actually quite bad. I don't even know if the AC folks in Montreal are aware.

Bens / Air Canada - can you guys initiate something?

I'd rather sit on some cheap interim Ikea furniture than these couches.
Looks like paradise compared to the United Club at SFO!!!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by anotheran2
For everyone complaining about YYC being behind the times, maybe you'll like them to be more like YYZ with the GTAA charging the most money for flights to land/take off in all of North America.

I frequently fly out of YYC and yes, the lounge is too small but the airport is big enough. you can always find a seat somewhere around a gate. you just won't find a power outlet
??? And when do you fly out; 6am?

YYZ is an airport; YYC is cattle ramp to load planes; that is all.

We pay BIG AIF's to all airports in Canada and thus have the right to get what we pay for...

Calgary has overtaken Montreal in total passenger traffic did they not see this coming? Is there a reason other then blatant mis-management that they are so far behind the times?

But its ok! Don't worry! Everything will be fixed in a year or two; but while we are waiting the $250m runway is now open!!!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by hearna

We pay BIG AIF's to all airports in Canada and thus have the right to get what we pay for...
+1

I believe YYC's AIF ($30) is now higher than YYZ's ($25).
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
+1

I believe YYC's AIF ($30) is now higher than YYZ's ($25).
Tied for second place in Canada Actually...

ZBF 40$
YMM 30$
YYC 30$

All others are 27,25 and less.

have to pay for that runway somehow...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:38 pm

Those airport fees have nothing to do with air canada's spending on couches though?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:56 pm

Not talking about couches; talking about the over all condition of YYC.

Had there been any planning at all these renos and expansions would have started 5-10 years ago.. the new International terminal would be open, a new MLL could have been opened there and domestic flights could have been moved over for a year or 2 to renovate the current A wing terminal and MLL.

Instead the A area has become a zoo, or cattle hoarding area, lacks services, MLL is undersized and cut almost in half for reno's, the commuter pier (if you can call a walk down a shack erected over the apron a pier) has been removed for the International expansion and have taken over a few A gates with all the other aircraft forced to remote holding positions requiring busing to and fro.

But! Its ok! They have a $250m runway now; so during the afternoon rush when a small breeze comes over the mountains we don't have to hear the pilot say we are #10 for take off (~20-30 minute delay).

#Edit; I checked online because the 250m I heard was what locals where saying; total project cost was $620m....

Funny how the YYC apologists will say oh well look at the spending in YEG; 1B for a massive terminal expansion; 0.62B for a runway... hmmm

Its ok though! Its long?

I know a bit of a rant; but as I said when you pay good money for something; you expect something; and YYC is something alright; an experience I dread weekly!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
Those airport fees have nothing to do with air canada's spending on couches though?
Actually, in a weird way they could. AC gets to keep a portion of all AIF fees (collected by them) to make it worth their while, instead of the airport authority doing the dirty work (remember the YVR kiosks?).

Where they put that on the budget line I do not know. But savvy thinking would have allowed for part of the AIF ''commission'' to be kept at the airport leve,l to be used as their own ''local improvement fund''. Especially in times of chaos like YYC is in.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 15, 2014 at 10:49 am
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +

Calgary has overtaken Montreal in total passenger traffic did they not see this coming? Is there a reason other then blatant mis-management that they are so far behind the times?

But its ok! Don't worry! Everything will be fixed in a year or two; but while we are waiting the $250m runway is now open!!!
I usually fly out at 4-6pm on fun days like Thursdays and Fridays. for the rare euro trips, i fly out super early or super late where the lounge is near empty.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
Not talking about couches; talking about the over all condition of YYC.

Had there been any planning at all these renos and expansions would have started 5-10 years ago.. the new International terminal would be open, a new MLL could have been opened there and domestic flights could have been moved over for a year or 2 to renovate the current A wing terminal and MLL.

Instead the A area has become a zoo, or cattle hoarding area, lacks services, MLL is undersized and cut almost in half for reno's, the commuter pier (if you can call a walk down a shack erected over the apron a pier) has been removed for the International expansion and have taken over a few A gates with all the other aircraft forced to remote holding positions requiring busing to and fro.

But! Its ok! They have a $250m runway now; so during the afternoon rush when a small breeze comes over the mountains we don't have to hear the pilot say we are #10 for take off (~20-30 minute delay).

#Edit; I checked online because the 250m I heard was what locals where saying; total project cost was $620m....

Funny how the YYC apologists will say oh well look at the spending in YEG; 1B for a massive terminal expansion; 0.62B for a runway... hmmm

Its ok though! Its long?

I know a bit of a rant; but as I said when you pay good money for something; you expect something; and YYC is something alright; an experience I dread weekly!
I agree with you that the A area (and the transborder area) are brutal, but I'm not fundamentally against the runway. It'll be useful in 20 years when the traffic would have been unbearable. I'm ok with that sort of forward planning.

That being said, you want to know what drives a YYC tax paying FF crazy? The insane airport tunnel. A 6 lane freeway under the huge runway which dead-ends at a 2 lane country road. Because maybe, at some point in time, 20,000 people living in the NE will shave 5 minutes off their commute to the airport versus using the existing roads (Country Hills).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:15 pm

The filth at the Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge (YYC)

Something needs to be done about the Calgary lounge. This is the photo taken today. #nofilter

Link to full size photo: http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9ea70b5b.jpg

The reduced traffic with the new rule is welcome but the lounge itself is in terrible shape and should at least be cleaned up.

Things that AC can do right now while construction is under way:
- Hire some contracters to do deep cleaning of the carpets
- Replace the couches.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Wait is that a brown sock? only one? Damn I could use a nice pair of brown socks

Why spend money when they will be redoing the entire MLL. yesterday we arrived rights after three wide bodies left, 777 YYZ, 777 NRI & 767 LHR, talk about a mess and dishes!

So many people so little space, its still a nice lounge, just have to work with what we have.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
yeah, at the moment - YYC MLL IS DREADFUL.

Will it be BETTER after the supposed upgrade work?

Or will they reuse the same old $h!tty seats and other assets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.