Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge Access Policy Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge Access Policy Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Avoid at all costs? You mean, it's better just to stay in the boarding area?

(Visiting the lounge on Sunday. Hopefully in the morning, if I can do a same day change.)

Boarding area has really nice comfy one seater couches if you can get one in time. Bigger and better than the ones in the mll
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:34 am

Exclamation YYC MML needs immediate attention

I know work is being done on it, but the maple leaf lounge in Calgary needs immediate attention.

Reducing the number of visitors to the lounge, or waiting to end of 2015 is not going to work.

Basic plumbing and furniture needs repair or replacement immediately without delay.

These are pics from today from the MLL in Calgary. It's actually quite bad. I don't even know if the AC folks in Montreal are aware.

Bens / Air Canada - can you guys initiate something?

I'd rather sit on some cheap interim Ikea furniture than these couches.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Haha, I've never really looked that hard at the chairs, but they should get rid of that one, people shouldn't pick at leather/pleather though either. Sinks go out of order from time to time, it's possible they had to do some plumbing and cut the water for a little bit as well.

That said it's not a good situation right now. They need to cut the users down a bunch (which is tough) and staff it a bit more at certain times of day. I've seen 2-4 AC agents working the desk (which can get busy) but then it's 2-3 of the (usually) Filipino ladies working the floor. They're doing what they can, but they can only clean and restock so much, if that place is full there should be at least 2 people cleaning tables etc the whole time and then 2 people in the background doing other stuff.

The place is totally fine at night, I was in there from like 8-11 a little while ago and there was hardly anyone else in there so it was great. Even mid-day on a Tuesday I've had pretty good experiences recently but there are brutal days for sure.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Haha, I've never really looked that hard at the chairs, but they should get rid of that one, people shouldn't pick at leather/pleather though either.
Lol those pics are 3 different chairs in the same area. It's quite prevalent haha.

I'm very detail orientated so I notice these things lol
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:43 pm

YYC MLL Restricting Guest Access

Hi -- I'm connecting in YYC (6 hr layover) and am only now seeing that they restrict *G to no guests between certain hours -- can they really do this? I've never seen anything on Star Alliance's website that allows the operating club to restrict entry when they're full, etc.

My wife'll be pregnant and I was really counting on making use of the lounge (at least for her) before flying to LHR.

Has anyone had experiences w/ the MLL staff and whether they would make exceptions.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/140729.html
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by OilersFL
Hi -- I'm connecting in YYC (6 hr layover) and am only now seeing that they restrict *G to no guests between certain hours -- can they really do this? I've never seen anything on Star Alliance's website that allows the operating club to restrict entry when they're full, etc.

My wife'll be pregnant and I was really counting on making use of the lounge (at least for her) before flying to LHR.

Has anyone had experiences w/ the MLL staff and whether they would make exceptions.

It's worth it to note that the guest restriction is not just for *G but also for AC's own members as well (everything but their very top tier).

I would honestly not count on any exceptions being made, but that is not because of the staff as you have alluded to - most the time I find the staff in YYC very friendly, polite and helpful. It is simply because of how busy this lounge is during these times, compounded with restricted space due to construction.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
You can always ask--depends on how busy they are, day of week etc. They can do exclude and have. If the place is too full, even top tier members can be turned away (fire regs). Rarely happens but can.

You might be able to get in the afternoon and leave during the rush 4-6 pm. At least you can get in after 6:30 for a short while until flight starts boarding.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:26 pm

Was through there 2 weeks ago and have to go through YYC a couple more times this year due to connections/time issues ( YYC remains worst Airport in Canada to transit through)

Lounge looks like a war zone, to have it run that way for another year is criminal.

Good thing 2 of my trips through that airport are trans border and can use Rocky mountain lounge
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
For everyone complaining about YYC being behind the times, maybe you'll like them to be more like YYZ with the GTAA charging the most money for flights to land/take off in all of North America.

I frequently fly out of YYC and yes, the lounge is too small but the airport is big enough. you can always find a seat somewhere around a gate. you just won't find a power outlet
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by theseatbelt
I know work is being done on it, but the maple leaf lounge in Calgary needs immediate attention.

Reducing the number of visitors to the lounge, or waiting to end of 2015 is not going to work.

Basic plumbing and furniture needs repair or replacement immediately without delay.

These are pics from today from the MLL in Calgary. It's actually quite bad. I don't even know if the AC folks in Montreal are aware.

Bens / Air Canada - can you guys initiate something?

I'd rather sit on some cheap interim Ikea furniture than these couches.
You won't sit on it because there's some damage to the fake leather?

I'm not going to defend AC and say that the sort of damage you're picturing is good for their image, but man it's still a fully functioning chair.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by OilersFL

Maybe play the pregnant card and ask if she can go in in your place? It's not like she'll be drinking all the booze
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by BMGfan
Maybe play the pregnant card and ask if she can go in in your place? It's not like she'll be drinking all the booze
I thought wife was immediate family and not technically a "guest". I understood policy to be that I could take my wife in plus one guest in normal circumstances.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
I thought wife was immediate family and not technically a "guest". I understood policy to be that I could take my wife in plus one guest in normal circumstances.
Nope, wife is technically a guest
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by BMGfan
You won't sit on it because there's some damage to the fake leather?

I'm not going to defend AC and say that the sort of damage you're picturing is good for their image, but man it's still a fully functioning chair.
I still sat on it

But come on - they could at least get Ikea furniture that is better than this

For the prices we pay for business class tix etc... a basic level of quality and maintenance should be kept!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
I was in the YYC MLL last week (kids in tow) and we successfully got in. So while @ACAltitude says childen <6 are "guests", they apparently are not in the eyes of the MLL staffers.

I was in at 4:30 on a Friday and there were plenty of spots to sit. When entering there was a line and I was worried about the crowds but to my surprise all 4 people in front of me got turned away. It looked like 2 lounge passes and a Star Gold w/ guest.

So the measures seem to be working to reduce crowding (if you can get in).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.