Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC lost baggage handling - Indian call center is plain awful

Old Jul 22, 14, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite

Doing a Vegas - Calgary - Toronto - HKG trip, and now learning just how brutal it is if Air Canada doesn't deliver your checked baggage as expected (in yyc now, baggage didn't even make it on 1st segment)

YYC baggage staff said they would help me route the bags to HKG

I call the baggage center (in India) and they have no mention of it going to HKG on the file. After 30mins with this agent who could barely comprehend english, and didn't seem to be able to explain how the bag might be eventually delivered.

And being a frequent flier doesn't seem to help, concierges at the lounge or at the altitude call center can't do anything to assist.

As if losing your baggage is not disruptive enough when crossing an ocean, AC doesn't think it needs to invest at all into this aspect of customer service.

I'm certainly open to any tips (or criticisms) that might help expedite... waiting weeks as I have found others have done is just inhumane...
Old Jul 23, 14, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
You mention "concierges at the lounge or at the altitude call center", which makes me think that you didn't actually talk to a concierge.

There aren't any at the "Altitude call center", and I've never seen one in a domestic lounge.

If you call the local concierge number on your concierge card, you may get someone who is much more willing to help you. I'm not sure where their office is in YYC. If you make it to YYZ, the office is right across from the SE check-in, and they have been helpful to me in the past with lost bags (although YOW concierge wins that one by far).
Old Jul 23, 14, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You mention "concierges at the lounge or at the altitude call center", which makes me think that you didn't actually talk to a concierge.

There aren't any at the "Altitude call center", and I've never seen one in a domestic lounge.

If you call the local concierge number on your concierge card, you may get someone who is much more willing to help you. I'm not sure where their office is in YYC. If you make it to YYZ, the office is right across from the SE check-in, and they have been helpful to me in the past with lost bags (although YOW concierge wins that one by far).
You've never seen a concierge in a domestic lounge?!?!

You're kidding, right?

I used to see a concierge every time I was in a domestic lounge.
Old Jul 23, 14, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Very rarely do I see a concierge at my homebases (YUL) domestic lounge, but I have seen them in the lounge at YHZ.
Old Jul 23, 14, 2:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Strange routing to say the least. As I always tell people as a former baggage handler, the more connections you make the less % chance your bag has of making it, for any number of reasons. LAS-YVR-HKG would've been better or LAS-YYZ-HKG (though less sensible based on geography).

I'm confused also as to who was spoken to, if the bag didn't arrive in HKG I hope you didn't just leave then call them. The first step is always check with the agent on site and see if they can at least tell you where the bag is. The 2-3 times in my life my bag has been "lost" the agent has been able to tell me immediately where it was, then it was just a matter of getting it to me, no issues.
Old Jul 23, 14, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

You've never seen a concierge in a domestic lounge?!?!

You're kidding, right?

I used to see a concierge every time I was in a domestic lounge.
Why would you think I'm kidding? One time, I wasn't sure if I just wasn't seeing them, so I asked at the desk if there was a concierge, and I was told very explicitly, "no", and to call the number on my card.

Compare that to my visit to the YYZ international lounge, where I could very obviously see her sitting at the desk, in a black suit.

I once saw one in YYZ transborder, but she was just walking through to find someone, and she said hi, since she had helped me with a flight change an hour before.

But other than that, I've never seen one in a transborder, and I've absolutely never seen one in a domestic.
Old Jul 26, 14, 9:10 pm

I hope you got your bag ! . I can tell you TSA in Las Vegas , generally is the issue and the bag is cleared for transport after the flight has departed .
As far as getting the bag to HKG , I generally forward it LAS/SFO/HKG and avoid Canada altogether . It's faster and only makes on connection .
Old Jul 26, 14, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
That call centre is funny as everyone uses it, AC, UA, TP etc

When I go out I try and do mileage runs as the more connections you have the more likely you will loose your bag so when I want to shop for new clothes that is what I do!

Last month we went YQF-YYC-YYZ-LHR-LIS and sure enough our bags were lost! Bought new clothes and the bags arrived 12 hours later!

Because of lost luggage as a rule, before my bags go on the scale, I always use my BB and take a picture so I know the colour, make and proof of the bag!

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Jul 27, 14 at 11:26 am
Old Jul 26, 14, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG-G Aeroplan Status Pending
Flying YYT - YYZ - YEG last year for some reason my bag was only checked as far as YYZ so that's where it stayed.

In YEG the baggage handler assured me it would be delivered to my home the following morning. When it didn't arrive I had to start dealing with the call centre. They repeatedly told me that all they were allowed to do was send an email to Toronto.

I then found out that I had to be back in YYT the following day so then had to get the call centre to try to tell Toronto to keep the bag and I would pick it up myself.

I have no idea whether any emails from India were ever sent but when I went to the baggage office in Toronto and said I was looking for a bag, the guy told me to just go ahead and take a look in a couple of rooms just beside him. I found my bag and walked out, not once did anyone ask for a baggage tag and when I asked him about getting emails from India he said he had no idea, and "That's what you get for hiring monkeys for 2 bucks an hour".

Since my tag was never scanned, Air Canada had no way of knowing that I had recovered my bag, but although I had a lost baggage claim number I never heard anything from them. I had my bag so didn't pursue it any further.
Old Nov 27, 14, 10:58 pm

I recently received the following e-mail. Does anyone know if this is Canadian law or chain mail rubbish?

The law in Canada
I did not know this, but I will now do it.
Good to know, especially since rumour has it that Canada Post Customer
service is headed to India before the New Year. A lot of us do not realize
this option is open to us.

Any time you call an 800 number (for a credit card, banking, charter
communications, health and other insurance, computer help desk, etc. ) and
you find that you're talking to a foreign customer service representative
(with an accent difficult to understand perhaps in India , Philippines ,
etc), please consider doing the following:

After you connect and you realize that the Customer Service Representative
is not working in Canada (you can always ask, if you are not sure about the
accent), please, very politely as this is not about trashing other cultures,
say, "I'd like to speak to a Customer Service Representative in Canada .."

The rep might suggest talking to his/her manager, but again politely, say,
Thank you, but I'd like to speak to a Customer Service Representative in
Canada ..."

YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED TO A REP IN CANADA .. That's the rule and the LAW.

It takes less than one minute to have your call re-directed to Canada .

Tonight when I got redirected to a Canadian Rep, I asked again to make sure
- and yes, she was from Calgary ..
Old Nov 28, 14, 7:55 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
I recently received the following e-mail. Does anyone know if this is Canadian law or chain mail rubbish?..
Looks to a variation on a US fake: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/servicerep.asp
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I asked my niece to call for me from YYZ as we were in HAV. The India Luggage center lied to her that our luggage was in Havana. Second call to the center got another Indian who told her my luggage will come soon. LOL, just hilarious. Now I have filed a claim for taxi charges going back and forth to the airport to get my luggage.
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
I asked my niece to call for me from YYZ as we were in HAV. The India Luggage center lied to her that our luggage was in Havana. Second call to the center got another Indian who told her my luggage will come soon. LOL, just hilarious. Now I have filed a claim for taxi charges going back and forth to the airport to get my luggage.
Hard to help you without very specific details. Ethnic comments and terms such as "lying" do not fit that bill.

All you need is a WorldTracer number and that will provide you with anything the call center can provide.
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SEMM
There are great practical step by step guides here on what are your legal rights and how to proceed when your baggage is either damaged, delayed or lost (i.e. delayed for more than 21 days or if admitted to earlier by the airline).
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 18, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
"Hard to help you without very specific details. Ethnic comments and terms such as "lying" do not fit that bill.

All you need is a WorldTracer number and that will provide you with anything the call center can provide."I am not making ethnic comments but I don't like being lied to. Yes I had the world tracer number and yet they still lied to us. Saying that the luggage is in Havana when it was not, because we were at the airport and the airline AC told us no luggage. So thats what ticked me off. And 2 minutes later we called and another one said tomorrow. So what is the value of having a call center where the agents are not helping but yet upsetting the customers?

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 5, 18 at 7:50 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: