Question: Transferring @ YYC

Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Transferring @ YYC

My apologies if this is not the correct place for this question.
If I am transferring in YYC from A to D (AC-WS YYZ-YYC-YVR) do I need to exit and re-enter security?
Thanks,
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm not sure what you're doing...flying WestJet YYZ-YYC then flying AC YYC-YVR? I can't imagine why you'd do that but...you won't need to leave airside unless you have a bag. You won't be able to get your bag tagged all the way through. If you've checked in for both flights and have boarding passes and no bag. You should be able to just walk from one gate to the other without issue.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm not sure what you're doing...flying WestJet YYZ-YYC then flying AC YYC-YVR? I can't imagine why you'd do that but...you won't need to leave airside unless you have a bag. You won't be able to get your bag tagged all the way through. If you've checked in for both flights and have boarding passes and no bag. You should be able to just walk from one gate to the other without issue.
Not sure that is true, is it? You can walk between A and B gates without passing through security, but I don't think you can get all the way to D (WS gates usually). Typically the C gates are used for flights to the USA and are locked off from both B and D because you pre-clear customs in YYC.

Edit: map is here: http://www.yyc.com/portals/0/interac...ame=Departures And the secure American departures area encompasses gates 25A to 32.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:19 pm

Not true. A and D are separate concourses in YYC and you'll need to reclear security.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I didn't think you could go from D to A without going outside security since the US customs sterile area in C is in between. Has anyone done this?

PS. Great minds think alike

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Jul 22, 2014 at 1:24 pm Reason: noticed that others had posted same item at same time
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rehoult
Not true. A and D are separate concourses in YYC and you'll need to reclear security.
+1. Need to reclear security.

If you haven't booked yet, then it would make more sense to do the entire trip with one airline. Especially if you have checked baggage. The bags are quite slow to come out at YYC, and rechecking bags can be a pain because of line-ups.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diabeetus

If you haven't booked yet, then it would make more sense to do the entire trip with one airline. Especially if you have checked baggage. The bags are quite slow to come out at YYC, and rechecking bags can be a pain because of line-ups.
To clarify.
Flying HKG-YYZ-YYC oc AC (flight pass does not allow HKG-YYZ-YVR and I stay away from the HD). Problem is the last flight out of YYC with AC is too late. WS has an 11:00 flight which works.
Of course, I never check bags. If I had to add up all the time checking in bags and waiting for bags for my flights, it would be an extra week flying ever year!

I did this route a few months ago and found myself having to exit and re-enter security. I was rushing then as the incoming flight was late so I am not sure if there is a way to transfer without exiting first.
It seems that the consensus is no.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by mendy7511
To clarify.
Flying HKG-YYZ-YYC oc AC (flight pass does not allow HKG-YYZ-YVR and I stay away from the HD). Problem is the last flight out of YYC with AC is too late. WS has an 11:00 flight which works.
Of course, I never check bags.
I you are talking about 11pm it might be possible to get from A to D. I have walked through the US transborder area before including going right past transborder security screening area.

Preclearance closes at about 7pm and by 9pm all gates are designated for domestic or international departures. Flights arriving from the USA and international have all pax go to the upstairs walkway.

In my case it was a late arrival from YYZ, we parked on the far side of C concourse, so about gate 27. most pax continued walking to the bag belts but I took a left and walked past transborder security area and over to gate 31.

The above however comes with a big YMMV caution. Also if you do get turned back by security or the police; then it is the long way for the detour route, expect the detour to take up 5-8 extra minutes at a brisk walking pace.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Finally you will most likely be arriving at the A gates in the 14-19 concourse A hammerhead. AC has been gating the Q400s at 10-14 and the airbus goes to 14-19 at the hammerhead.

Under this scenario its most efficient to exit concourse, stay on departures level, and walk over to concourse D.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Finally you will most likely be arriving at the A gates in the 14-19 concourse A hammerhead. AC has been gating the Q400s at 10-14 and the airbus goes to 14-19 at the hammerhead.

Under this scenario its most efficient to exit concourse, stay on departures level, and walk over to concourse D.
Thanks for the detailed information.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Thanks for the detailed information.
Can you do YEG rather than YYC? Might be simpler in this regard.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:30 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus

Really? I've never had to wait very long for bags at YYC. They even have an ETA countdown. Beats the pants off YYZ in my experience...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
Can you do YEG rather than YYC? Might be simpler in this regard.
The last flight YEG - YVR departs at 9:25.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Well there you have it, I was basing my answer off experiences at other airports and what I THOUGHT I knew about YYC, I'm through there a lot but there's big chunks of the airport I've never needed to go to, I thought it would make sense that any domestic gate could be accessed, but turns out I was wrong. Kudos flyertalkers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.