Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cancelled award ticket... can I get the miles back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75

I cancelled an award <21 day before departure. I did not know the "trick" to re-book for a similar trip >21 days and then cancel to get the miles back, so I just cancelled the original reservation. I understand I have 1 year to use the ticket. Now, I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I re-book a similar itinerary for a date in the future (>21 days from today) and then cancel to get the miles back paying $90 twice?
2) Can I change city pairs and/or the name on the reservation?

I believe the answer is "no" to both but I just wanted to check with the experts.
Thanks in advance!!

Angel
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: A Few
I assume you did not pay any fee to cancel/forfeit this ticket, and fees will be collected if you decide to use your ticket within the 1 year validity.

1. Yes, you can pay the $90 change fee to a date more than 21 days out, and then pay the $90 cancel fee to get your miles back.
2. Yes, you can change the cities, routing, award zone, etc.
3. No, you can not change the name on ticket.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I assume you did not pay any fee to cancel/forfeit this ticket, and fees will be collected if you decide to use your ticket within the 1 year validity.

1. Yes, you can pay the $90 change fee to a date more than 21 days out, and then pay the $90 cancel fee to get your miles back.
2. Yes, you can change the cities, routing, award zone, etc.
3. No, you can not change the name on ticket.
That is correct, I didn't pay any fee.
Thanks a lot for the info yycworldtraveler !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.