Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Dr. gives medical assistance in-flight; any airline compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dr. gives medical assistance in-flight; any airline compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Jeepers, reasonable on FT, are you trying to insult me just because I am new to flying?
lol!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Initially, when I several years ago offered medical assistance to a passenger on an AC flight - I did not expect any compensation. But I was asked to sign a form - choosing between 10,000 Aeroplan status miles or 15,000 non-status miles. I chose the status miles. A few years later, again the compensation was offered, In both cases, I chose the Aeroplan status miles.

Two or three years ago, again medical assistance. No compensation offered on the flight, or later one.

Last week, coming back on a flight from Delhi to Toronto - this time I was asked to help a flight attendant deal with her medical issues.. No compensation offered on the flight.

When I first started out on AC - I expected no compensation. But after at least these 2 instances of compensation being offered in the plane- I learned to expect compensation on the plane.

Now I have the next 2 instances there was no compensation being offered at least on the plane- The question is what is AC's current policy on thanking a physician for medical assistance provided in a plane in-flight.
I think it may have been bad luck and depend on how much effort the crew puts into filling out forms.

A doctor friend of mine posted on Facebook that she got aeroplan miles this past year for assisting on a flight.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Depends on if you think centuries old, yet not legally binding, Greek oaths matter.

Its a question for those with a doctorate in philosophy, not those with a masters in medicine (who, for reasons I don't understand, we call "doctor")
The M in MD doesn't stand for master's; it stands for medicinae . The only Canadian-educated doctors who come out with master's degrees as part of their regular training are those who studied at McGill, and that's in addition to their MD (MD, CM)
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
If you need money to do what you have to do, just say. I will need a charity receipt though.
I realize there's a difference, but I can't believe how many people approach me and ask me to "write an app", because "we're friends" or we met at a bar.

If you're not being paid, you should not be expected to do what you have spent many years learning how to do. If you choose to, fine. But if the choices are "I inconvenience myself, or AC diverts and inconveniences me", I don't see why I should make it easy for them. You've already screwed me.

And, if a Dr. provides medical service to a Canadian, in flight, is there not a process in place, for the Dr. to bill the healthcare system? Isn't that who should be responsible for the fee? Just askin...
I fly AC a little bit. Every now and then. I had to forfeit my OHIP to avoid paying Canadian taxes. I can't even imagine the process to submit a bill like that to my insurance company.

Or what if I don't have insurance?

These situations have two outcomes.

1. A doctor helps
2. The plane diverts

The cost, to AC, of the second option, is astronomical. I'm constantly amazed with how AC (and many other "similar" organizations) compensate in these matters. "Oh you saved us $250k, here's a $50 gift card".
canopus27, Bohemian1 and Marlin240 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
These situations have two outcomes.

1. A doctor helps
2. The plane diverts

The cost, to AC, of the second option, is astronomical. I'm constantly amazed with how AC (and many other "similar" organizations) compensate in these matters. "Oh you saved us $250k, here's a $50 gift card".
I understand that it won't always work, but I still wonder if there is a process to bill Health Care, when it is a Canadian resident.

Just because a Dr. isn't conveniently available, that doesn't mean the illness was determined to be serious enough to divert, does it?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: AC*E35
Assisted on an ac YYZ-YVR earlier this year. A few months later they sent me a letter graciously thanking me for declining compensation (???) and offering me a 30% off certificate valid for 3 years.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Whenever I’ve heard the announcement it tends to be “Is there a medical doctor on board”.

I personally know one who has been bumped up to J/F (on a UK TPAC at that) for assisting on aircraft before. Both her and husband got the upgrade. It wasn’t AC but thought it relevant.

If the doctor doesn’t wish to assist for whatever reason, they can simply not make themselves known to the flight crew. In my above case, being treated well almost guarantees a repeat. Helps if the front cabin(s) have space of course.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:11 am

I have helped on a number of occasions - even if sometimes people try to pull me aside on the grounds they have St John’s training😊. Always managed to resuscitate though often just dehydration or anxiety. I would hope all would step up irrespective of compensation. BA sent me a large bunch of flowers and chocs and filled my carry on with bottles (mini) of champagne. AC used to send unasked a free ticket anywhere (still have as who has time to!), then started to give 10k qualifying points and now send a discount coupon. Which is over and above what’s needed, but it’s a nice gesture as sometimes have injured myself carrying passengers down narrow aisles or spent hours crouched in the galley. Hopefully if I am ill someone will come to my aid!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Question. Can a physician refuse to provide medical assistance?
Legally, yes. Morally and ethically... well, look around you in society and make a decision on that one.

Once again, it is a call for volunteers. Being voluntold isn't the same thing.

I also had one of my colleagues who trained in the States tell me that if you accept "anything" in compensation even as immaterial as a drink, then the "good Samaritan" legal protection goes out the door. That is the good ol' USA !

Last edited by xray; Dec 1, 2017 at 9:32 am
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Wasn't there a case of a physician who went to the CTA against AC, and won? Actually won a pretty reasonable compensation.
That case was crazy... the poor guy helped and then wanted to enjoy the rest of his flight. Another person took over and the FA still insisted that the first guy become responsible for the treatment of the patient. It was ridiculous. When he asked AC for compensation for not being in his J seat for most of the flight, they told him to go fly a kite. That's my recollection of the case.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:59 pm

I understand that it won't always work, but I still wonder if there is a process to bill Health Care, when it is a Canadian resident.

Just because a Dr. isn't conveniently available, that doesn't mean the illness was determined to be serious enough to divert, does it?
The crew will call down to the ground where there is a Emerg med service who will help triage and determine if a diversion is necessary.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:22 pm

Saw an interesting article in CMAJ about in flight emergencies. Included was a video going over what’s included in the Air Canada med kit. Was very surprised by some of the contents in it!

?Is there a doctor on board??: Practical recommendations for managing in-flight medical emergencies | CMAJ

still kicking myself for not attending the CME hosted by air canada a few years ago.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by iMedic
Saw an interesting article in CMAJ about in flight emergencies. Included was a video going over what’s included in the Air Canada med kit. Was very surprised by some of the contents in it!
My wife is an emergency nurse and, the first time she saw the kit, she was also quite surprised. Some of the kit was a bit dated (not at all out of date, but a couple of years behind what would be common in a Canadian ER) but it was of high quality and there was a lot of stuff in there she didn't expect to see.
lallied likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: AC*75K
The article is spot on about potential issues in flight. Your stethoscope is near useless because of the cabin noise.

I always wondered if an electronic one (https://www.littmann.ca/3M/en_CA/lit...-27-in-69-cm-/) would alleviate the problem. $400+ is an expensive item to have on board compared to the $20 stethoscope that is there but could result in better outcomes and maybe save a diversion or two. With the cost of a diversion as high as $900k, it could be a no-brainer.
lallied likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:03 am

I chuckled when I saw that stethoscope. Should probably just dump it for weight savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.