Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan ranked as the third lowest FF program 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:32 am
Original Poster

I hope this is not a repost, as I didn't see it in Aeroplan forum

The result isn't surprising at all, and it's an improvement from 2013!!!

Honestly speaking though, the only complaint I have for Aeroplan is the insane YQ
and they better not add BR to the YQ carriers, or block BR Y/J booking (current ongoing "glitch", supposedly)

With only 29.1% of respondents reporting that they were at a minimum satisfied with their ability to redeem miles, Air Canada Aeroplan ranked as the third lowest program this year, just above Delta SkyMiles and Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles. This was an improvement for the program however, which in 2013 was in last place.
Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction: The Best and Worst for 2014 | Frequent Business Traveler
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....orst-for-2014/

Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
What's interesting is that 22% of respondents are Very Dissatisfied with AE and other than DL at 24%, the next closest number is 12% that are Very Dissatisfied.

And it was only a few years ago, AE was voted Best FF Program. I remember thinking to myself at the time that nothing good would come of that. Looks like I was right.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC,BA,CA,SPG,ICHG, HERTZ
The problem with popularity, or lack of it, in the case of AE, is that there are way too many points holders out there who are NOT FF'ers and they cannot be satisfied in terms of IKK or just getting flights for a decent amount of miles for the most part.

I just booked over 2 flights yesterday and had absolutely no issues with getting the flights I wanted and only had to call in to get a baby added to the PNR which took less than 5 minutes.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by loosegoose
The problem with popularity, or lack of it, in the case of AE, is that there are way too many points holders out there who are NOT FF'ers and they cannot be satisfied in terms of IKK or just getting flights for a decent amount of miles for the most part.

I just booked over 2 flights yesterday and had absolutely no issues with getting the flights I wanted and only had to call in to get a baby added to the PNR which took less than 5 minutes.
Without knowing your itinerary though, how can we be impressed with how your experience was with AE?

I agree, there are some glimmers of hope with great routings and great airlines w/ great service but unless you know what you are doing, the pitfalls are many. I have lost track of how many times one of the AE agents have started a request w/ the comment that 'nothing is available, are your dates flexible?'. From there, we make progress be cause I have done my homework, but otherwise I would have hung up and been telling everyone how awful AE is.

My current itinerary involved a hopscotch and overnight across our great land, and then thanks to the new TK YUL-IST service, I was able to get a manual booked seat on their Business Class. The agents could not see it the usual way and there was literally nothing available over the water on that date at all.

In summary, I can see the frustration with AE on the redemption side and I experience on an ongoing basis the amazing disconnect between Air Canada and Aeroplan nowadays that ends up with endless finger-pointing. Its unecessary and makes for an awful experience.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Actually, I became disillusioned with AE while I was still SE and had access to IKK. It was AE that prompted me to leave AC. Isn't that hilarious, a loyalty program that drives people away? Of course, AC has made a whole bunch of enhancements after I decided to leave to make sure I never return.

And to be clear, if I was flying on OPM (or pre-tax income), I would probably be sticking with AC because I prefer them as an airline*. But I just can't afford to keep them as my preferred FF program and not go broke.

* When redeeming my UA miles on cross border itineraries, I always choose to fly AC. If the flight I want isn't available, I just have to wait until it's closer to departure when they open up availability and change to the flight I want for free. This way I have the best of both worlds.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Without knowing your itinerary though, how can we be impressed with how your experience was with AE?

I agree, there are some glimmers of hope with great routings and great airlines w/ great service but unless you know what you are doing, the pitfalls are many. I have lost track of how many times one of the AE agents have started a request w/ the comment that 'nothing is available, are your dates flexible?'. From there, we make progress be cause I have done my homework, but otherwise I would have hung up and been telling everyone how awful AE is.

My current itinerary involved a hopscotch and overnight across our great land, and then thanks to the new TK YUL-IST service, I was able to get a manual booked seat on their Business Class. The agents could not see it the usual way and there was literally nothing available over the water on that date at all.

In summary, I can see the frustration with AE on the redemption side and I experience on an ongoing basis the amazing disconnect between Air Canada and Aeroplan nowadays that ends up with endless finger-pointing. Its unecessary and makes for an awful experience.
I was able to book Mrs.acysb87 (AE nobody) on a YYZ/TPE/BKK/DPS/SIN/HND/YYZ flights in J with no issue and then book the same itinerary using my points (November travel). Booked Mrs.acysb87 to BGI last week for future travel,no problem. Just returned from a YSB/YYZ/YYC/PDX/YVR/YYZ/YSB for her as well. absolutely no issues,^HATE the scam charges Looking at a YYC/YLW soon,looks good. A love em hate em scenario for me
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
The last time I redeemed AE miles was from FCO-YVR via YYZ. Paid points for J tickets, but as usual wasn't confirmed into the J seat ex FCO until at the gate. Even though we were on a J ticket, they wouldn't allow lounge access. The gate was so crowded we ended up sitting on the floor.

When supposedly Elite customers have to sit on the floor, are we still supposed to feel loyal?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sopwith
The last time I redeemed AE miles was from FCO-YVR via YYZ. Paid points for J tickets, but as usual wasn't confirmed into the J seat ex FCO until at the gate. Even though we were on a J ticket, they wouldn't allow lounge access. The gate was so crowded we ended up sitting on the floor.

When supposedly Elite customers have to sit on the floor, are we still supposed to feel loyal?
I laughed at your situation as I thought this only happened to me. My experience was on the YUL-FCO route. The highlight was being herded onto the FCO shuttle bus that would transport us to the terminal. Standing there, packed tightly, in the stifling heat with the doors open and the diesel fumes getting sucked in causing people to choke was just part of the AC J class experience. I was fortunate not to be elderly or disabled because the ground crew were not particularly helpful towards those who needed assistance getting down the steep steps of the staircase with their carry ons.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I'd be interested in the Bens' take on this and similar surveys. Do you put any credence in them? Does AC aspire to improve its ranking? How do the results compare with your own surveys, if you do them? Does the ranking have any correlation at all to the bottom line?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Maybe that's because Aeroplan isn't a FF program?

My opinion on Aeroplan is very different from my opinion on Altitude.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:59 pm

The problem with popularity, or lack of it, in the case of AE, is that there are way too many points holders out there who are NOT FF'ers....
I guess the site being named Frequent Business Traveller is meaningless - particularly if it doesn't fit into your bias.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
People dont know what they want, thats why marketing proffesionals tell them what they need lol

Lufthansa 6.8% like! kidding me, they have a great program and only 6.8% really likes them. I am sure its a small percentage who really like are on F/T!

The Air Canada/Aeroplan/Destition/altitute is simply a big bowl of STAMPEDE droppings
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The question for me is - why would Aeroplan actually care about a bottom tier ranking?

Unless there is another serious competitive frequent flier program in Canada, they are don't need to worry about customers going to other programs.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Free Agent
guess I am a sucker since the only two miles redemption programs I use (successfully for my albeit limited geographic purposes) are AE and Delta SM...
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
People dont know what they want, thats why marketing proffesionals tell them what they need lol

Lufthansa 6.8% like! kidding me, they have a great program and only 6.8% really likes them. I am sure its a small percentage who really like are on F/T!

The Air Canada/Aeroplan/Destition/altitute is simply a big bowl of STAMPEDE droppings
This is related to reward redemption, not other aspects of these FF programs. LH may have a good elite program of service to travellers, but awards often require many more miles than AE or MP and earnings for discount fares are minimal. It's great if your company buys you a J or F ticket and you get 200% or 300% mileage but most members fly discount Y and have to fly 4x as much to earn full mileage equivalencies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.