Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

RBC Avion Infinite Privilege vs TD/AMEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat

Not sure if people noticed this, RBC also rolled out an Infinite Privilege version of its Avion Visa.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...ection=rewards

$399/99 annual fee
25K bonus pts
1.25 pts per $ spend
Same Avion redemption schedule: 15K/$350 short haul, 35K/$750 long haul, etc.
or 10K pt per $100 (effectively 1.25% return)
Lounge/Priority Access through Visa's own program
BEST PART: 1.875 avios per $ during 1.5x transfer promo to BAEC

I recently got AMEX AP gold with 30K bonus points and was thinking about canceling my Avion and upgrading to Amex AP Plat. Now...it seems the Avion Infinite Privilege might be a better deal.

Thoughts?

Some Updates:

The detailed benefit guide is now on the website:
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/documentation/

Some useful benefits that I did not notice before:
$60 hailo taxi credits
Fairmont Premier status+ fast track plat

Apparently there is also a Private Banking version of Avion Infinite Privilege for the same $399 annual fee. You have to be a Private Banking client to get it. I was told you get enhanced travel redemption rate when not using Avion schedule. 10k point = $150, so effectively 1.25*1.5=1.875% cash back - not bad but still I think transferring to BA avios is better.

Last edited by ericw; Jul 16, 2014 at 4:49 pm Reason: new info
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This seems beyond lame!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:32 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
It's a good effort, but I don't think it's a complete game changer.

This card seems more like it's aimed directly at the TD Infinite Aeroplan card, instead of the traditional Amex Platinum Card.

The annual fee is $399 - which is a steep jump from the regular RBC Infinite Avion Card annual fee of $120. For that, you get the usual suite of elevated services. Many of these services are available outside of the program. Even the Visa Infinite webpage is very short on specifics on what is actually offered (ie: lounges select Canadian Airports)

The earn rate for BA Avios is excellent. However, it's exceptionally hard to actually use those points on British Airways Club World as hardly any seats are available. The availability is exceptionally bad from the west coast. Toronto is not so bad...

I have the regular RBC Avion Infinite and really enjoy it as a Visa Card. I don't see the value in the new premium card.

I think you'd be better off with the original Amex Plat.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:47 pm

cc fees inflation?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Like the TD one, the $399 vs. $120 is a huge delta in fee for very little in benefits.

the .25/pt diff is 'nice', but you're not really breaking even on the points unless you're spending > 100k a year.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I called 1800# and it seems I can do an upgrade from Avion Infinite to Infinite Privilege without applying for a new card and I can also get 25K bonus pts. That makes the 1st year annual fee $150 or less effectively.

I guess at end of the day for me, it is a question to collect AP or BA Avios. I did not travel much in 2012/2013 and lost all my status. Ive just started traveling again and recently got A3*G for lounge access. I did try to redeem a few AP tickets in the last few months, and I found the availability and fees were worse than I remembered (possibly because i have no status with AP now?) On the other hand, I had good success on AA metal using BA Avios out of YYZ. I agree the BA availability was bad when I lived in BC.

Thanks for the suggestion on regular AMEX Plat. I guess I will take a look at MR again - I had it quite a while ago when it was $399.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm not sure why this card is worth $399, especially since the lounge access is only 6 visits per year. Go with the BMO World Elite, which is 2% travel cashback (and gives you AQM if you book a Flex fare), and 4 lounge visits with priority pass. $150 and no additional cardholder fees.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by ericw
BEST PART: 1.875 avios per $ during 1.5x transfer promo to BAEC
This looks good for my spend, as I find redemption in J on BA good for Australian as well as YVR-LHR routes, and Europe in economy. The lounge access to non-*A lounges could come in handy occasionally too.

[Edit] I guess the 1.875 conversion factor to BA miles is 1.5*1.25.

Last edited by tomvancouver; Jul 9, 2014 at 7:07 am Reason: BA conversion factor
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:27 pm

I like it! works good for my spend, ba avios, better for my travel pattern, than aeroplan.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Where would you intend to travel on those award trips? Avios is not just for BA (who still charge outrageous additional fees/surcharges that can make AE look attractive!) and getting premium seats on JL, AA and CX is pretty easy if you stay clear of peak travel periods (QF a bit harder).
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Where would you intend to travel on those award trips? Avios is not just for BA (who still charge outrageous additional fees/surcharges that can make AE look attractive!) and getting premium seats on JL, AA and CX is pretty easy if you stay clear of peak travel periods (QF a bit harder).
+1. The change in AC Altitude programme has caused me to search around for alternatives and the Amex Plat CX MPC Gold was an easy decision that fitted my travel pattern. So far I have also found finding reward and upgrade availability on CX and some OW airlines to be generally not as difficult as AC.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
This seems beyond lame!
+1.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
For those whom are thinking of this card for mainly it's Avios opportunities wouldn't you be better off with the RBC BA Visa. Double Avios on BA purchases but the most important benefit is the 10% off BA Transatlantic flights. With normally a half dozen paid BA CW purchases a year that saves me in the region of $3K annually. Which of course more than pays for my Amex Plat which is my main card and also is a good way to go as far as Avios is concerned plus you get lounge access. Don't see any real benefit to the $399 Avion card.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:31 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I recently got that BA card, with the 30K offer floating around, the fact that I get it free with my banking package and the 10% off made it the more compelling card for me as well. The only major drawback is the lack of 50% transfer opportunities to Avios, but that is what Amex is for
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:07 pm

I like it, because of the 1:1.25 on all purchases, I am a high volume user, the extra points easily out weigh the extra cost of the card. All other "privileges" are inconsequential to me.

as to avion vs. aeroplan? i booked 4 economy tickets yvr to Washington DC last month for travel in aug. they were approx. 200k in RBC reward points. If someone could show me a way to get there with aeroplan, i might change my opinion, but i did not even log into aeroplan to look as i know that there will not be any aeroplan tickets for 4 people, with reasonable departure times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.