Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
@Flyguyyow, this is the thread you want:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1948992-getting-upgraded-mixed-cabin-aeroplan-redemptions.html
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
So . Where do VIP status end up? Infront of SEMM or?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
So . Where do VIP status end up? Infront of SEMM or?
Yes, ahead of SEMM.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: air canada
Thank you!!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Curious: YYZ-SFO tomorrow and it shows Business Class as:

- Capacity = 16
- Booked = 15

and then on the list below, it shows 12 of us as Green . Does that mean that only 3 people are in paid J on this flight? If so, also wonder how all 12 of us got the upgrades so far in advance (still +12 hours until flight time).... all Lat passes or similar? FWIW, there are another 8 people on the list below us that are not confirmed.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Curious: YYZ-SFO tomorrow and it shows Business Class as:

- Capacity = 16
- Booked = 15

and then on the list below, it shows 12 of us as Green . Does that mean that only 3 people are in paid J on this flight? If so, also wonder how all 12 of us got the upgrades so far in advance (still +12 hours until flight time).... all Lat passes or similar? FWIW, there are another 8 people on the list below us that are not confirmed.
That is how I would read it (12 upgrades).

For high bucket tickets upgrades can be requested and clear "anytime". But even low bucket & low status can clear at 4 days.

A flight that is 12/16 upgrades ia obviously not one that has high demand for paid "luxury". From that, I wouldn't expect them to sell much of it at T-12hrs
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
That is how I would read it (12 upgrades).

For high bucket tickets upgrades can be requested and clear "anytime". But even low bucket & low status can clear at 4 days.

A flight that is 12/16 upgrades ia obviously not one that has high demand for paid "luxury". From that, I wouldn't expect them to sell much of it at T-12hrs
Thanks, all makes sense, I forgot that non-Lat can clear early as well.

Interesting that a YYZ-SFO on Monday late morning had only 3 paid business travelers, those flights always seem to be busy to me, must have caught a quiet week in the Bay Area.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Hypothetical.

J has 1 seat.
PY is overbooked by 1 (or it's full and there's an employee contractually guaranteed PY)

I'm in Y, and am the only person requesting an upgrade.

I assume in this case, they would op-up a PY pax, and leave me in Y?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Hypothetical.

J has 1 seat.
PY is overbooked by 1 (or it's full and there's an employee contractually guaranteed PY)

I'm in Y, and am the only person requesting an upgrade.

I assume in this case, they would op-up a PY pax, and leave me in Y?
No, you will get the upgrade. Op-ups come after eUps are processed, at least that's what SHOULD happen.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by YYT82
No, you will get the upgrade. Op-ups come after eUps are processed, at least that's what SHOULD happen.
But then they would have to downgrade someone from PY, which seems worse.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
But then they would have to downgrade someone from PY, which seems worse.
Sorry, I didn't read through the scenario carefully. Yes, you're right, that would seem aweful. I actually don't know what would happen in that case, although theoretically if you are the only person requesting eUpgrade, you should be processed first before op-ups.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SE
Here's the situation.

My wife and I are on a transborder flight tomorrow. I have a revenue ticket, she has a reward ticket. I am SuperElite, she has no status. The flight is currently showing Y2, J4. There is no one on the upgrade list.

If I request an upgrade through eupgrades for both myself and her, I will need to do so separately (since we are on separate bookings). If I do that, I assume I'll be close to the top of the upgrade list (because I'm SE). My question is, will she be close to the bottom because she has no status? Or does she get treated as if she's me?

At this point it's looking good for both upgrades, but I'd hate to get the upgrade while she doesn't.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Here's the situation.

My wife and I are on a transborder flight tomorrow. I have a revenue ticket, she has a reward ticket. I am SuperElite, she has no status. The flight is currently showing Y2, J4. There is no one on the upgrade list.

If I request an upgrade through eupgrades for both myself and her, I will need to do so separately (since we are on separate bookings). If I do that, I assume I'll be close to the top of the upgrade list (because I'm SE). My question is, will she be close to the bottom because she has no status? Or does she get treated as if she's me?

At this point it's looking good for both upgrades, but I'd hate to get the upgrade while she doesn't.
There's some detail on this on the Air Canada site: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...des/share.html

The eUpgrade Nominees themselves cannot request upgrades using your eUpgrade Credits.

Note, however, for upgrade clearance from the reservation waitlist and the airport standby list, the nominee’s own Air Canada Altitude status will apply.
​​​​​​
She'd have your S100K upgrade window, etc, but would clear based on her own status.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
She'd have your S100K upgrade window, etc, but would clear based on her own status.
At the airport, definitely.

Prior to that, it's a little more nuanced, since SEs have the waitlisted segment coded as PS, whereas other Elite levels are PA, and I am reasonably certain that PS > PA. However, I don't know if that applies to nominees, though it would be easy to test out (we just need an SE to waitlist their nominee and then take a peek at the PNR). But I was fairly certain nominees get the same status code as the nominator.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
But I was fairly certain nominees get the same status code as the nominator.
That was what I thought as well - and I recall reading it on the website. It was something like "your nominee will share your status/priority until the waitlist is transferred to the airport".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.