Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

15x "first purchase" shop.ca Aeroplan promo (be careful)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15x "first purchase" shop.ca Aeroplan promo (be careful)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

By the way my 80 year old mother said, "I looked at the prices on shop.ca and they're crap."

So there you have it.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:45 am

I found some of the watches were decently priced though certainly not earth shattering prices.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I had found more than a few things where the price was fine. Obviously you're better off going over whatever that low limit was to get free shipping (or was it $250, I forget, either way it wasn't that hard) but it's extremely poorly organized, it also sells fake-ish merch. If you look at the NHL jerseys they might be licensed but they aren't official, it's like those ones you can get at Canadian Tire that are like $40 but not official. They advertise them basically as legit though which is what gets me, cuz then it makes me doubt some of the other products. 3 times I've been enticed enough by the offer to spend like an hour on their site and pick out products, just to never buy them.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:29 pm

Deleted

Last edited by LearningToFly; Jul 6, 2014 at 8:31 pm Reason: Unable to post printscreen- sorry
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Not true. The gems are hidden amongst a lot of overpriced junk. But they are there, and with the massive amount of AP miles I received I essentially got them for 50% off.
Sorry, but I am not digging through a ton of slag to find hidden gems.

Mrs Mapleg ordered one item from their website (before the Aeroplan promotion, she had some kind of large one time discount coupon). The item came, was given as a present and was faulty. Took them about 4 months to come through on their promise to replace or refund.

I have ordered from many an on line retailer, and never had any issues. I agree with the other posters--their website is just too frustrating to bother wasting my time on.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
During their initial AE promo I managed to find a pair of gemstone earrings for the Mrs., which stacked up well in terms of price/quality as compared to what I saw in the nearby malls.

I wanted to buy more so my wife and son could take advantage of that promo, but man... I tried hard, and could not find another thing worth spending money on. Nearly everything I'd consider buying seemed like it was about 10-25% more expensive than other online or brick & mortar retailers.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:17 pm

OK, so there is a bedroom set (I like it) for $4600.00 (same price I paid for my last one 15 years ago)
I'II get 73000 points (half a Business class ticket) and I will go through GCR for a rebate and also get 4600 SPG points for using the credit card..

IS THIS A BAD DEAL ??
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by mech11
OK, so there is a bedroom set (I like it) for $4600.00 (same price I paid for my last one 15 years ago)
I'II get 73000 points (half a Business class ticket) and I will go through GCR for a rebate and also get 4600 SPG points for using the credit card..

IS THIS A BAD DEAL ??
How on earth can we assess if it is a bad deal? Without knowing the quality of the set, how can one tell?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:14 am

Cameron 7-Piece Queen Bedroom Set ,, It's $4300.00 at the Brick, So for $300 more 75000 points sounds allright, ( That's only my opinion I could be wrong ) That's $300 less the GCR, so it's close to the same price. .

Originally Posted by mapleg
How on earth can we assess if it is a bad deal? Without knowing the quality of the set, how can one tell?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Ouch $4300 on brick furniture... Some of it is truly terrible crap. I'd go see it in person for sure.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by mech11
Cameron 7-Piece Queen Bedroom Set ,, It's $4300.00 at the Brick, So for $300 more 75000 points sounds allright, ( That's only my opinion I could be wrong ) That's $300 less the GCR, so it's close to the same price. .
And that price at the Brick is as flexible as could be. If you walked in and offered 1,000 less they likely would accept.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If gift cards earn AE miles, and there's a good 1st time bonus, what's the issue? Pricing is up to each retailer, not the site itself. These things also come down to caveat emptor. Just got an offer from AmexPlat to use my card for a purchase of $200 or more than they'll give me a $50 statement credit (like a Tim's promo they did last year, albeit $10 credit then IIRC for a $20 spend). Also have an offer of 10x AE miles for my first purchase. So seems like a good deal for me: $200 of gift cards for $150, 2K AE miles plus anything going into my MR account.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Shop.ca into bankruptcy protection

According to the RoB, Shop.ca has entered bankruptcy protection due to disappointing results and inability to generate sales in excess of hoped for $100 million a year, and net income of about $30 million. The company reports burning through over $70 million of investor and other money and failed to establish a firm beachhead in the e-commerce realm. Some of the concerns were high spending on promotions to encourage purchases on the site...as posted here. Seems AE has lost out on the online shopping portals to AIR MILES's portal.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Shareholder
According to the RoB, Shop.ca has entered bankruptcy protection due to disappointing results and inability to generate sales in excess of hoped for $100 million a year, and net income of about $30 million. The company reports burning through over $70 million of investor and other money and failed to establish a firm beachhead in the e-commerce realm. Some of the concerns were high spending on promotions to encourage purchases on the site...as posted here. Seems AE has lost out on the online shopping portals to AIR MILES's portal.
If they had focused on a more competitive offering (especially with regard to prices) rather than just trying to get people to overlook shop.ca's deficiencies with heaping doses of Aeroplan points it could have worked. I used shop.ca a few times and my experiences were quite varied... some positive, a couple negative. However, I never used it unless there was a substantial number of Aeroplan points attached to a transaction because it just wasn't worth it otherwise.

That said, AE's eStore is still going strong and is a much more compelling proposition than shop.ca ever was. Surely it must get a fair amount of use relative to Air Miles' portal?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Post #11 called it. Congratulations YYZC2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.