FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC Gates at Boston Logan Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1590506-ac-gates-boston-logan-questions.html)

cdoobiest Jul 1, 2014 9:02 am

AC Gates at Boston Logan Questions

Flying J out of Boston Logan July 4 with family. I saw United has new terminal. Anyone know if AC gates are still in the old terminal B. Also, I presume since we are J, we have access to new United lounge?

Finally, I have 1.5 hr layover in Toronto before heading onto Vancouver. Any tips on how to get to customs quickly with family of 4 (2 young ones). Thanks

loosegoose Jul 1, 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by cdoobiest (Post 23125362)
Flying J out of Boston Logan July 4 with family. I saw United has new terminal. Anyone know if AC gates are still in the old terminal B. Also, I presume since we are J, we have access to new United lounge?

Finally, I have 1.5 hr layover in Toronto before heading onto Vancouver. Any tips on how to get to customs quickly with family of 4 (2 young ones). Thanks

UA terminal is totally separate from AC gates and require two trips through security to use UA lounge.

If you can ask for a cart pickup (and I'm not sure they do that ahead of time) at the gate they will take you to the customs area for transit pax. 1.5 hours is plenty for transiting through immigration, even with kids.

Shareholder Jul 1, 2014 12:09 pm

Has UA taken over the wing that US used to operate from? Last time I flew UA ex-BOS it was from a horrible seat of gates with a miserable RCC. If they have moved the old US club was very nice and terminal facilities not bad. Unfortunately the AC gates are isolated from that part of the terminal so as noted, requires a second pass through security...likely without TSA PreCheck.

mabramovich Jul 1, 2014 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23126346)
Has UA taken over the wing that US used to operate from? Last time I flew UA ex-BOS it was from a horrible seat of gates with a miserable RCC. If they have moved the old US club was very nice and terminal facilities not bad. Unfortunately the AC gates are isolated from that part of the terminal so as noted, requires a second pass through security...likely without TSA PreCheck.

Hmm -- all about expectations. I thought the old "RCC" in Terminal C was pretty nice and it wasn't a terrible terminal at all...the B6 gates were nicer but compared to like PHL it was absolutely fine.

cdoobiest Jul 1, 2014 1:39 pm

I also have US Air Club Lounge Passes. Is this still around so I don't have to reenter security for United?

mabramovich Jul 1, 2014 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by cdoobiest (Post 23126962)
I also have US Air Club Lounge Passes. Is this still around so I don't have to reenter security for United?

Lounge is still around and indeed you do not need to reenter security -- US, AA, and UA are all connected post-security now at Logan.

Diabeetus Jul 1, 2014 2:54 pm

AC is still in it's own segregated area in old Terminal B.

The new terminal B is very nice, and just opened at the end of May. Power outlets at at every single seat, chair, and table. It is a separate security check to get into the united side, and the line up for security can be quite long, if it is during the 6am-9am time block. Luckily, the security queue to get into the AC side is always short.

The United Club is very nicely appointed, with family room, tons of chairs, tables, and bar stools. The view is nice too, as there is lots of windows and it is on the upper floor.

The food/drink is standard United fare: cheese, carrots, cookies, bud light, and Pepperidge Farms cookies.. do you remember Pepperidge Farms?

Diabeetus Jul 1, 2014 2:56 pm

Delete

cdoobiest Jul 1, 2014 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 23127340)
AC is still in it's own segregated area in old Terminal B.

The new terminal B is very nice, and just opened at the end of May. Power outlets at at every single seat, chair, and table. It is a separate security check to get into the united side, and the line up for security can be quite long, if it is during the 6am-9am time block. Luckily, the security queue to get into the AC side is always short.

The United Club is very nicely appointed, with family room, tons of chairs, tables, and bar stools. The view is nice too, as there is lots of windows and it is on the upper floor.

The food/drink is standard United fare: cheese, carrots, cookies, bud light, and Pepperidge Farms cookies.. do you remember Pepperidge Farms?

Thanks, for all of the info. We are leaving July 4 at 6:30 AM flight so I think lines will be short. I remember United club had continental breakfast in AM. May try to head over there if security lines short.

Steadfast Jul 1, 2014 7:47 pm

I flew AC from Logan to YYZ this week. If you go to the "new" area you will need to go through security again to get to AC in the old area. There is one coffee shop past security in the AC area, and it is very small. The security line into AC area was very short.

Diabeetus Jul 1, 2014 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Steadfast (Post 23128522)
I flew AC from Logan to YYZ this week. If you go to the "new" area you will need to go through security again to get to AC in the old area. There is one coffee shop past security in the AC area, and it is very small. The security line into AC area was very short.

And the coffee shop in the AC area is terrible.

TheBOSman Jul 1, 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by cdoobiest (Post 23127696)
Thanks, for all of the info. We are leaving July 4 at 6:30 AM flight so I think lines will be short. I remember United club had continental breakfast in AM. May try to head over there if security lines short.

Originally Posted by Steadfast (Post 23128522)

I walk by the AC security line quite frequently, never seen it more than half a dozen deep. The new UA club is nice, but I haven't seen anything in a UA club that would make me want to go through security an extra time purely for it.

Clipper801 Jul 2, 2014 6:42 am

Here are the instructions:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...yyz_us_ca.html

There are dedicated CBSA queues for connecting passengers.

If you will be flying on AC in J to YVR or *G, you will be able to use the Maple Leaf Lounge. Use the elevator to the left after security.

GJS - yow Jul 2, 2014 6:30 pm

I flew back from Boston at the beginning of June. The check-in agents told me that AC has an "arrangement" with US Airways to use their lounge, which is very close to security. While it means two trips through security, it was worthwhile, and the walk from the US Airways lounge to the AC security line was less than 5 minutes (including taking the down escalator to the baggage claim area and the up escalator back to the departures level).

The AC security line only took a couple of minutes, and as noted above, led to a small waiting area that was overcrowded, with a very basic coffee shop/food counter and no room to move.

I was very pleased with the recommendation to use the US Airways lounge - the staff there did not question the AC boarding card, and the lounge was spacious (not very busy at 16:00 on a Friday afternoon).

gesmith10 Jul 3, 2014 3:01 am

The AC area at Logan has the shortest and easiest security lines i've experienced anywhere in the world. That makes up for any other shortcomings!

loosegoose Jul 3, 2014 3:51 am

Originally Posted by gesmith10 (Post 23135622)
The AC area at Logan has the shortest and easiest security lines i've experienced anywhere in the world. That makes up for any other shortcomings!

+1

lowdown Jul 4, 2014 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by loosegoose (Post 23135762)
+1

yes.. why anyone would go to the lounge at Logan for an AC flight is beyond me. OLCI, carry-on, show up 15 minutes before... you're done

(granted, different if you are with a family!)

l.

makin'miles Jul 4, 2014 7:05 pm

When not checking a bag, I'm happy to show up 40 or so minutes before departure (but if you do this, ensure that you're checked in with a printed boarding pass - even if you've done the online check-in, the kiosk will not issue a reprint less than 60 minutes to departure).

Don't cut it too fine, as the agents will page you in the gate area to verify your documents prior to boarding.

FlyerGoldII May 2, 2015 8:51 am

Lounge Access? TSA Precheck?

I arrived from YOW at Logan a few days ago.

I will be leaving for YOW via YYZ tomorrow.

I would guess that the security for AC gates (B1-B3) does not have TSA precheck. But if I wanted to go to the other site of the B terminal - to access UA lounge - that does have TSA precheck?

I would guess that there is no airside way to get from the B1-B3 area to any part of the airport with a lounge?

If I arrive early enough, esp with TSA precheck, I might want to go to the UA side of Terminal B, and then go to the B1-3 area. Of course, I will have to go through security twice.

TheBOSman May 2, 2015 9:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 24754470)
I arrived from YOW at Logan a few days ago.

I will be leaving for YOW via YYZ tomorrow.

I would guess that the security for AC gates (B1-B3) does not have TSA precheck.

Correct, but it also does not have a scanner for people of any kind. Just a metal detector, and won't take long at all.

But if I wanted to go to the other site of the B terminal - to access UA lounge - that does have TSA precheck?

Yes it does have Precheck.

I would guess that there is no airside way to get from the B1-B3 area to any part of the airport with a lounge?

Correct, there is not an airside way to reach B1-B3 from a lounge area.

If I arrive early enough, esp with TSA precheck, I might want to go to the UA side of Terminal B, and then go to the B1-3 area. Of course, I will have to go through security twice.

Yes you will.

Quick word of advice, to avoid having to cross through the parking garage and the Terminal B access road twice, you can walk around to the US Airways airside area from the UA Club location, but this can only be done airside. So I would, when leaving the UA Club, stay airside and walk in the direction of the lower numbered gates, then exit security on the US Airways side before walking down to the AC gates. Just my opinion on it :).

Nitehawk May 2, 2015 10:46 am

There is quasi precheckinto the AC gates, they give you a card to show the officer with your boarding pass that relaxes some of the regulations.

Also depending on the time of your flight and how early you are you can potentially use the LH lounge, but it's a LONG way away (20 minutes walking/20 minutes by shuttle). Last time I was there they opened 15 minutes late so I was further limited in my enjoyment time. Again the international security section has precheck.

bawm May 2, 2015 11:37 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 24754513)
Correct, but it also does not have a scanner for people of any kind. Just a metal detector, and won't take long at all.

This is not correct (although it was a while back). There is a normal scanner and a metal detector. If you have TSA PreCheck, you are eligible for expedited screening (shoes on, light jacket on, through the metal detector). Otherwise it's the full scan like most any other point in BOS.

bawm

TheBOSman May 2, 2015 11:51 am

Originally Posted by bawm (Post 24755042)
This is not correct (although it was a while back). There is a normal scanner and a metal detector. If you have TSA PreCheck, you are eligible for expedited screening (shoes on, light jacket on, through the metal detector). Otherwise it's the full scan like most any other point in BOS.

bawm

Ah good to know, it has been probably 6 months since I was over that way. Surprised they have the room to fit both of those there! Thanks for the update.

canadiancow May 2, 2015 1:09 pm

Just hope the agents don't accuse you of sabotage, or CBP may decide to rifle through your bags in the jet bridge.

philelite May 2, 2015 8:23 pm

Update: US Airways lounge is now AA lounge

I was just at the BOS Terminal B a month ago and AC still has a deal going with the AA lounge (formerly US Airways lounge).

I found this lounge much nicer than United! They had some hot soup and some nice snacks (as well as self-serve bar).

You will still have to do security twice, but they had pre-check for the main terminal area. Then they have an expedited process for AC departures area where you still have to pull your liquids / laptop out but can keep shoes on.

DNAwizard May 2, 2015 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by philelite (Post 24756563)
I was just at the BOS Terminal B a month ago and AC still has a deal going with the AA lounge (formerly US Airways lounge).

I found this lounge much nicer than United! They had some hot soup and some nice snacks (as well as self-serve bar).

You will still have to do security twice, but they had pre-check for the main terminal area. Then they have an expedited process for AC departures area where you still have to pull your liquids / laptop out but can keep shoes on.

Thank you for the info. Very timely as I'm heading there (and back;)) this week.

superangrypenguin May 2, 2015 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 24755362)
Just hope the agents don't accuse you of sabotage, or CBP may decide to rifle through your bags in the jet bridge.

Sabotage? Or Cabotage? :p

*I have no idea what cabotage even means, but i'm pretty sure it's not sabotage mr. cow :)

FlyerGoldII May 3, 2015 2:10 pm

I came from BOS to YYZ today; I am waiting for flight to YOW.

The check-in agent said lounge access is now UA only.

In terms of TSA pre-check- it is not quite that.

The TSA agents said that in situations, where there is just one security lane for passengers, they can not have TSA precheck - they not one dedicated lane for that.

However, they have a process call TSA expedited screening - or nicknamed TSA precheck light (lite).

Basically, one keeps items on one's person one with take off with regular TSA screening - ie shoes, belt, light sweater or jacket. However, one needs to remove liquids and laptop from one's hand luggage, and put them in conveyor belt to be screened separately.

canadiancow May 3, 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24756641)
Sabotage? Or Cabotage? :p

*I have no idea what cabotage even means, but i'm pretty sure it's not sabotage mr. cow :)

Sabotage.

ciana May 4, 2015 6:11 am

Any tips for going the opposite way?
We are on an AC flight YYZ-BOS landing at Terminal B then heading to Terminal E for TK BOS-IST.(all J seats) We'll have pre-clearance in YYZ. Walk or take shuttle from B to E? Lounge at E?
Thanks

TheBOSman May 6, 2015 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ciana (Post 24761865)
Any tips for going the opposite way?
We are on an AC flight YYZ-BOS landing at Terminal B then heading to Terminal E for TK BOS-IST.(all J seats) We'll have pre-clearance in YYZ. Walk or take shuttle from B to E? Lounge at E?
Thanks

Shuttle, landside bus. #11 will do the trick, some others will but I don't recall them offhand. TK uses the AF lounge in E for their J passengers. Solid lounge. Expect some great food, mediocre service and angled-flat seats on TK BOS-IST (I speak from firsthand experience on this route).

ciana May 7, 2015 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 24778578)
Shuttle, landside bus. #11 will do the trick, some others will but I don't recall them offhand. TK uses the AF lounge in E for their J passengers. Solid lounge. Expect some great food, mediocre service and angled-flat seats on TK BOS-IST (I speak from firsthand experience on this route).

Thanks for the info! We did originally have YYZ-YUL-FRA-TXL but gave up the pods on AC for the YYZ-BOS-IST-TXL. After factoring in the $203 change fee for the two tickets, we still saved $700 total. I hope that wasn't a mistake to go from pods to the TK angled flat beds!

TheBOSman May 9, 2015 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ciana (Post 24782040)
Thanks for the info! We did originally have YYZ-YUL-FRA-TXL but gave up the pods on AC for the YYZ-BOS-IST-TXL. After factoring in the $203 change fee for the two tickets, we still saved $700 total. I hope that wasn't a mistake to go from pods to the TK angled flat beds!

Pods probably aren't $700 better but I'm cheap. Just don't expect too much out of the seat and you'll be fine with TK. And make sure you take a lot of time enjoying the lounge at IST!

sfo2bos Dec 22, 2016 9:56 am

Air Canada out of Boston Logan

Couple questions on AC out of Logan. I booked a ticket day after Christmas to Montreal, apparently operated by Jazz. My sister is taking another flight, and we will get a ride together, but her's is earlier so I'll have a couple hours to kill. I fly in/out of B a lot on UA, but have never flown out on AC. Does anyone know where the AC gates usually are? My fear is being stuck in B1, B2, B3 which look to be separate from the main terminal. I would like to use United Club (member, so not paying for AA club access on this side). If I'm stuck in the three gate part of the terminal, I may stay outside of security until last minute, IIRC there is a Legal before security.

Also, I had to book a Tango fare ($180 vs. $500+ for full fare--not worth it on a 55 min CRJ flight). I'm not exactly used to flying basic economy... anything to watch out for? I'm assuming they'll want me to check my roll-aboard (larger, fits tightly into most narrow/widebody domestics on UA) for a fee? Should I bring it through security and try tog ate check? I'm sure it's spelled out somewhere just looking for a quick tip.

Thanks!

Dieuwer Dec 22, 2016 10:18 am

They are located in the "penalty corner" (Gates B1-3). I suggest not going through security to the AC gates until just before departure. The gate area is a horrible holding area.

sfo2bos Dec 22, 2016 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 27649742)
They are located in the "penalty corner". I suggest not going through security to the AC gates until just before departure. The gate area is a horrible holding area.

Ouch!! No lounge for me. Although maybe I can go through security in the main terminal to UA club if lines are light and I'm early enough. Thanks for the info.

Dieuwer Dec 22, 2016 10:23 am

There is a Dunkin Donuts before security with some benches. Another option is the Ozone bar next to it. Not a bad area to wait 30 mins or so.

https://www.massport.com/logan-airpo...m4nkcg3id2.jpg

sfo2bos Dec 22, 2016 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 27649765)
There is a Dunkin Donuts before security with some benches. Another option is the Ozone bar next to it. Not a bad area to wait 30 mins or so.

My sister's flight is about 6pm, mine 7pm, and we have a bit of a drive so will likely be early to the airport. Unfortunately I'm stuck for a bit :(

martyYOW Dec 22, 2016 11:08 am

Originally Posted by sfo2bos (Post 27649749)
Ouch!! No lounge for me. Although maybe I can go through security in the main terminal to UA club if lines are light and I'm early enough. Thanks for the info.

I usually go to the United Club - it means going through security twice but there's never much of a wait at the AC gates so it's not a big hassle (especially if you have precheck)

sweden05 Dec 22, 2016 11:16 am

Originally Posted by sfo2bos (Post 27649779)
My sister's flight is about 6pm, mine 7pm, and we have a bit of a drive so will likely be early to the airport. Unfortunately I'm stuck for a bit :(

Walk out the terminal doors, and keep walking straight across the (covered) parking lot in front of you. In two minutes you'll be in the terminal again, and there's a Legal Seafoods right there. Good food and drink.