Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FREE Early Standby for the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver Triangle!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FREE Early Standby for the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver Triangle!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
No J cabin, no flight passes, no status. If WS had that stuff then maybe. AC does have direct flights to YYC, just in Q400s.
To me J doesn't really matter on a 1h35-40 minute flight and could be a bad use of eUG (depending on status level and whether or not subject to eUG copay on international.)
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:47 pm

Bens,

Could you please have someone update your website to announce this change in policy? The fare options page makes no reference of this update (still states Rapidair routes only).

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/oneway/index.html
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09

To me J doesn't really matter on a 1h35-40 minute flight and could be a bad use of eUG (depending on status level and whether or not subject to eUG copay on international.)
J doesn't matter as much to me on these routes, but I do like it, especially watching the FAs do a great job of a full breakfast service in the morning with tight timing on a cold aircraft that had been sitting overnight.

I always have eups expire so I have a policy of always requesting an upgrade if my fare allows it. I usually fly on M fares or higher so its not a lot of credits.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:39 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Bens,

Could you please have someone update your website to announce this change in policy? The fare options page makes no reference of this update (still states Rapidair routes only).

Good catch, thanks for pointing this out.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
It may not be disclosed on the site but the priority check-in staff at YVR know about the policy change. I successfully caught AC222 (5pm) rather than AC224 (6:30pm) after my meeting let out 45 mins early from YVR-YYC and the AC staff were helpful in getting me changed.

They couldn`t confirm at the check-in counter but put us on standby and we got it at the gate. Apparently it is going to become popular because at least 4 others didn`t make the 5pm (it was only an E90).

So ^ to AC on that policy change.

But, perhaps make the 5pm a 320 or don`t have a 1.5 hour wait to the 630. I can see 222 being the hot ticket on a Friday evening...
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:42 pm

Bens,

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Good catch, thanks for pointing this out.
I see this has now been updated on the website. Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:41 pm

I had my first experience with this yesterday and things did not run smoothly at all...

After this announcement was made, I booked a trip to YVR for several of my colleagues. I specifically put them on AC in Flex knowing that if our meetings ended early we'd be able to standby for free for an earlier flight. There were WS flights available for approximately the same time for the same price as AC's Tango fare.

Our meetings ended early and I dropped my colleagues off at YVR. They are not experienced travellers so I loaded the AC fare options webpage (the one now showing that AC Flex gets free same-day standby between YEG/YYC/YVR). My colleagues went to check-in, and the agent insisted that there is a $75 fee, even after being shown the AC website. Wanting to get home early (and figuring I was mistaken), my colleagues paid the $75 fee and got home earlier. They phoned me to tell me what happened; I wasn't impressed.

A short while later I returned to YVR to catch my flight to YYC. I checked in via OLCI and figured I'd asked to be put on standby at the lounge. The agent said I couldn't be put on stand-by because the flight was oversold. I replied that I was looking for stand-by, not a confirmed same day change. Both lounge agents insisted that there was no such thing as stand-by for a Flex fare. I showed the website, they eventually found an "exception" somewhere in the system confirming that I was right. By this time a 3rd agent was there and all 3 were astonished that such a change would be made without being communicated internally. They all thanked me for letting them know about this and added me to the standby list.

I got to the gate, the flight was oversold so I asked to be transferred to the next flight. By this time I was joined by another colleague trying to get on the same flight. The gate agent also insisted that there was no such thing as stand-by for a Flex fare. I showed the website, but that did no good - plus she said that even though the website indicates its allowed, it doesn't say that it is complimentary (she did have a point there).

So, off I went to the customer service desk. Same story, neither of them had a clue about this and said it couldn't be done. I showed the website; the agent asked me to bring it up on her own phone for CYA purposes in case she did this and got in trouble. The customer service desk agents couldn't locate the change (looked for it in something called ac-pedia?).

I went back to the gate to ask the agent a question, and before I said anything she thanked me for letting her know about the change; that she was finally able to find the information about stand-by and added me to the list. She printed off the note to show others and stated that she had been hoping for such a change for a long time. She too was astonished that there was no internal bulletin sent out informing agents of such a big change.

After failing to get on the 1st flight (I also found out that the 2nd flight was oversold as well), I decided not to use the Concierge to get on the stand-by list. I knew I was only going to make the 3rd flight (my original booked flight) and was treating this as an experiment to see if what happened to my colleagues was a one-off incident, or if it was a widespread issue. Clearly, after our experiences this is not an issue of one or two agents not knowing of this change.

Bens, can you please do something to improve knowledge about this?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:17 pm
Flying Blue Director

I had my first experience with this yesterday and things did not run smoothly at all...

After this announcement was made, I booked a trip to YVR for several of my colleagues. I specifically put them on AC in Flex knowing that if our meetings ended early we'd be able to standby for free for an earlier flight. There were WS flights available for approximately the same time for the same price as AC's Tango fare.

Our meetings ended early and I dropped my colleagues off at YVR. They are not experienced travellers so I loaded the AC fare options webpage (the one now showing that AC Flex gets free same-day standby between YEG/YYC/YVR). My colleagues went to check-in, and the agent insisted that there is a $75 fee, even after being shown the AC website. Wanting to get home early (and figuring I was mistaken), my colleagues paid the $75 fee and got home earlier. They phoned me to tell me what happened; I wasn't impressed.

A short while later I returned to YVR to catch my flight to YYC. I checked in via OLCI and figured I'd asked to be put on standby at the lounge. The agent said I couldn't be put on stand-by because the flight was oversold. I replied that I was looking for stand-by, not a confirmed same day change. Both lounge agents insisted that there was no such thing as stand-by for a Flex fare. I showed the website, they eventually found an "exception" somewhere in the system confirming that I was right. By this time a 3rd agent was there and all 3 were astonished that such a change would be made without being communicated internally. They all thanked me for letting them know about this and added me to the standby list.

I got to the gate, the flight was oversold so I asked to be transferred to the next flight. By this time I was joined by another colleague trying to get on the same flight. The gate agent also insisted that there was no such thing as stand-by for a Flex fare. I showed the website, but that did no good - plus she said that even though the website indicates its allowed, it doesn't say that it is complimentary (she did have a point there).

So, off I went to the customer service desk. Same story, neither of them had a clue about this and said it couldn't be done. I showed the website; the agent asked me to bring it up on her own phone for CYA purposes in case she did this and got in trouble. The customer service desk agents couldn't locate the change (looked for it in something called ac-pedia?).

I went back to the gate to ask the agent a question, and before I said anything she thanked me for letting her know about the change; that she was finally able to find the information about stand-by and added me to the list. She printed off the note to show others and stated that she had been hoping for such a change for a long time. She too was astonished that there was no internal bulletin sent out informing agents of such a big change.

After failing to get on the 1st flight (I also found out that the 2nd flight was oversold as well), I decided not to use the Concierge to get on the stand-by list. I knew I was only going to make the 3rd flight (my original booked flight) and was treating this as an experiment to see if what happened to my colleagues was a one-off incident, or if it was a widespread issue. Clearly, after our experiences this is not an issue of one or two agents not knowing of this change.

Thank you for this account; I really am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced when trying to take advantage of this new change. I will raise it internally and ensure it is communicated. I will just say that the website does say "free of charge" if you click/hover over the question mark bubble next to "Same-day airport standby."
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Thank you for this account; I really am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced when trying to take advantage of this new change. I will raise it internally and ensure it is communicated. I will just say that the website does say "free of charge" if you click/hover over the question mark bubble next to "Same-day airport standby."
Thanks for replying so quickly! Just to note, what hovering over the question mark bubble actually says is:

Customers travelling on a Business Class (flexible), Premium Economy (flexible) or Latitude fare may stand by free of charge.
It does not specifically state Flex fares on certain routes. Also, clicking on the "learn more" button takes you to information on Rapidair.

I understand how the chart is supposed to be read, but it can be interpreted differently by others.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:15 pm
Flying Blue Director

Thanks for replying so quickly! Just to note, what hovering over the question mark bubble actually says is:

It does not specifically state Flex fares on certain routes. Also, clicking on the "learn more" button takes you to information on Rapidair.
Ah, good point! I'll ask to have that amended.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE/MM; AA/DL*Nobody; SPG Plat; Marriott Rewards Gold

Just had the same experience on YEG-YVR today, eventually got sorted out but not after a lot of convincing.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AC SE
Just to let you know, the fare rules on the booking confirmation page on aircanada.com (i.e. the confirmation page after the flight is booked) don't reflect the addition of same day standby in the Western triangle. Wording on the booking confirmation page still reflects the old rules:

Same-day standby is available only to passengers travelling on a flight between Toronto and Montreal or Ottawa (connecting flights excluded), as well as to passengers travelling between Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and LaGuardia (LGA), John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Newark (EWR) airports.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:56 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by gcashin
Just to let you know, the fare rules on the booking confirmation page on aircanada.com (i.e. the confirmation page after the flight is booked) don't reflect the addition of same day standby in the Western triangle. Wording on the booking confirmation page still reflects the old rules:

Same-day standby is available only to passengers travelling on a flight between Toronto and Montreal or Ottawa (connecting flights excluded), as well as to passengers travelling between Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and LaGuardia (LGA), John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Newark (EWR) airports.
Thanks for catching this!
Old May 20, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Twice in the last week I sought the earlier flight YEG to YYC. Same agent both times and while successful, I was told that she, "shouldn't be doing this because I'm on a flight pass." I stated that my "M-fare stacks at the top of Flex fares." She politely commented that it had nothing to do with fares it was because I was on a flight pass.

This clearly doesn't align with logic. I will move on, but it is frustrating to still suffer inconsistency in its use. While AC and the Ben's got a major thumbs up from me after instituting my one and only request they really failed to communicate it internally/externally. Even the web page remains unclear today.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE
I admit I haven't done this in the last few months, but towards the end of last year there definitely was no issue or remarks on using an M flight pass to do this. GA did have to go to some different screen or different menu though to be able to process, which often triggered a comment of "ah, this is a FP". Never in the negative sense of not being allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.