Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FREE Early Standby for the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver Triangle!

FREE Early Standby for the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver Triangle!

Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Even as someone who is very unlikely to use this benefit .... I find this very cool. No spin, no chest pump, just action.

Well done is better than well said.

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
This is great news. Kudos to the Ben's and AC on this move.

I wish that I had booked a flex fare for my upcoming YVR-YYC trip. It would have been worth the flexibility.
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hearna
Woah; not sure I would rush in to thank the Bens…

As a regular in the W triangle, and with the % of oversells and offers on VDB, I am guessing rev management finally realized they where losing (giving more money out in vouchers then change fees) and figured they can keep charging crazy fares on the routes and simply solving the oversells with offers of early free flights…

my .02$
That's a bit rude, no? Give someone the benefit of the doubt if they have replied to this thread asking if it was them. At least the reply from Ben with RM has to balance revenue with customer satisfaction always, but it is still a corporation. Choices have to be made between short term and long term revenue gains
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:06 pm

As a regular in the W triangle, and with the % of oversells and offers on VDB, I am guessing rev management finally realized they where losing (giving more money out in vouchers then change fees) and figured they can keep charging crazy fares on the routes and simply solving the oversells with offers of early free flights…

my .02$
Another basement analyst who knows because he flies a lot. Much like a 14-year old knows a better way to run large Telcos because she texts a lot.
Laughable.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That's a bit rude, no? Give someone the benefit of the doubt if they have replied to this thread asking if it was them. At least the reply from Ben with RM has to balance revenue with customer satisfaction always, but it is still a corporation. Choices have to be made between short term and long term revenue gains
Rude? Really? This is business!

Do you think if we simply ask AC for more free upgrades they will oblige? AC is a business, and moves are business related; so unless a competitor (WJ) came in and marketed this to bring business travellers over, then yes this is financially motivated and not a generous move from the airline.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Another basement analyst who knows because he flies a lot. Much like a 14-year old knows a better way to run large Telcos because she texts a lot.
Laughable.
^
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Laughable.
Alright smart***, whats your theory? Because AC loves us and is going to give up a source of income?

Do you think they are worried the stock price is flying to high?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Alright smart***, whats your theory? Because AC loves us and is going to give up a source of income?

So AC did not have this feature prior to the Bens having a conversation with us. We now have this feature, and your response is that we and the Bens had nothing to do with it? With your mentality, why bother having the Bens engage with us?

A corporation's goal is to make more and more money. If there are balances between short term and long term revenue that they feel like they can make/adjust to allow FF's to have more flexibility (and giving them more loyalty) which in turns provides more revenue for them, it's their fiduciary duty to do so.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:36 pm

I don't doubt that RM was involved, or suggest that such a change couldn't have happened without the Bens. But having the CCO call over to RM and say, "Hey, could you give me the impact of offering SDSB on the Western Triangle", probably got someone looking at it really damn quick.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:36 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Believe what you want but this is what happened.
Some of your fellow FT members made a request.
We re-looked at our analysis and worked out a solution.
Ben Lipsey spearheaded the push internally.
This one made sense for AC and our customers.
The change was made.
This wouldn't have happened without your fellow FT members' engagement on this Forum.
I'm responsible for overall revenue production at AC. I'm ultimately accountable.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
The change was made.
This wouldn't have happened without your fellow FT members' engagement on this Forum.
I'm responsible for overall revenue production at AC. I'm ultimately accountable.
^ Genuine thank you! For this change and for the accountability as an executive. (and for how quickly it happened) - and heck for commenting this late on a Friday night.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
The change was made.
Thanks Bens!

This is greatly appreciated. I do YVR-YYC relatively frequently.

I had switched to purchasing tango fares because the AQM was not worth the price differential. This difference makes it worthwhile for me to go back to Flex fares.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:45 pm

Yeah, sure they had nothing to do with this. They seem like the kind of guys who would acknowledge the note with a wink to impress a handful of semi frequent fliers.
As a regular in the W triangle, and with the % of oversells and offers on VDB
What's the % of oversells on W Triangle exactly?
I am guessing rev management finally realized they where losing (giving more money out in vouchers then change fees) and figured they can keep charging crazy fares on the routes and simply solving the oversells with offers of early free flights…
Maybe. Maybe not.
Maybe the whole initiative was marginally profitable but the Ben(s) saw it was a big deal to flyers and conveyed to those who make the final decision the ends would justify the profit lost.
Of course every decision is business based.
Rouge, HD, clawing back FF bennies fall into this same reasoning, right?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The change was made.
I won't get to benefit from this, but this is great that you guys were able to do this, and so quickly. I assume that like Rapidair, it's for Flex, and not Tango?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvr76
I won't get to benefit from this, but this is great that you guys were able to do this, and so quickly. I assume that like Rapidair, it's for Flex, and not Tango?
^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.