Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), this is the correct thread.

For information on which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
dulciusexasperis, I am at ready to be schooled at the art of customer service.

Kindly outline the steps of whom to call at Air Canada in order to provide wire transfer account details over the phone.

Its unfortunate that your blank FT profile does not indicate any frequent traveller affiliation, so I can only assume...

Last edited by PointWeasel; Jul 31, 2018 at 6:50 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Are you for real? Why would you call AC reservations about this? I wrote to call Customer Service and take it from there. Perhaps you are not very good at knowing how to phone a company and get a real live person to talk to without being put on hold for 30 minutes. I realize that discourages a lot of people these days. But that only happens when you do not know how to find a phone number that actually rings at someone's desk and they answer it. Do you really think there are no such phones within Air Canada's offices and that the only way to contact them is through their Reservations number?

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/air-canada/

As I wrote, you call Customer Service and see what response you get. If that doesn't work, you start working your way up the chain.
Air Canada and most airlines do not want consumers to be able to reach or be transferred to the refund/accounting agents by phone. There is a mentality of "insulation" going on.

Originally Posted by ffsim

Apparently the trick is to not actually call AC but to call someone at AC. Anyone who cant do this needs to learn how to do it and potentially lacks the people skills to do do it successfully
So can one call Air Canada corporate office, dial a random extension number and if an employee picks up, ask them to look up the refunds/accounting extension/number for you ?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:43 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Still waiting for an answer how surprising.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
So can one call Air Canada corporate office, dial a random extension number and if an employee picks up, ask them to look up the refunds/accounting extension/number for you ?
While I encourage my employees to take ownership and get involved in matters not directly related to their precise job descriptions, I also encourage them to be respectful of their colleagues time. Helping a line-cutter in the manner you describe would definitely be discouraged in the strongest terms.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Background -- Ms SWMBO Stanbury was on AC 825 AMS-YYZ on Sept 3 -- delayed by 5 hours due to an "electrical fault". She intends to make an EC261 claim. The FA's distributed white forms which, when completed and submitted on-line, will apparently result in one of the famous codes for a reduction on a future flight. Question -- am I right in supposing that it is better NOT to submit that form, at least at this stage, since AC may then take the position that accepting that offer would negate or replace the EC261 claim?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Background -- Ms SWMBO Stanbury was on AC 825 AMS-YYZ on Sept 3 -- delayed by 5 hours due to an "electrical fault". She intends to make an EC261 claim. The FA's distributed white forms which, when completed and submitted on-line, will apparently result in one of the famous codes for a reduction on a future flight. Question -- am I right in supposing that it is better NOT to submit that form, at least at this stage, since AC may then take the position that accepting that offer would negate or replace the EC261 claim?
I would say yes. Id submit a claim for 600 and mention you didnt use the white form.

AC moving from completing igniting their responsibility to advice people of their rights to trying to find a loophole to get away with a 10% off code base fare only?

Unless you are one of the few who can use one of these vouchers on longer haul J and dont need the AQD the fact is for the vast majority of especially FOTSG Y flyers they are useless.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless AC asks and she expressly agrees, any other form of gesture is not in place of in whole or in part of the EUR 600 which AC must pay in cash (equivalent) unless she otherwise agrees.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Unless AC asks and she expressly agrees, any other form of gesture is not in place of in whole or in part of the EUR 600 which AC must pay in cash (equivalent) unless she otherwise agrees.
Fair enough, if its not clear I dont know... Id just be sure you read the fine print closely. Even if giving the code doesnt absorb AC of their 261 obligations I can see them denying claims because of it. At least initially denying the claim playing the odds about how many people will push or take it further.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC:50K
In case the data point is useful: After AC865 on August 21st was delayed due to mechanical problems (thereby causing me to miss a connection), I got a 15% discount code *and* after writing to Air Canada they said that I would get a cheque for 600 EUR.

Said cheque hasn't arrived yet, but they said 4 weeks so I'm not too worried yet.
jc94 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by cperciva
In case the data point is useful: After AC865 on August 21st was delayed due to mechanical problems (thereby causing me to miss a connection), I got a 15% discount code *and* after writing to Air Canada they said that I would get a cheque for 600 EUR.

Said cheque hasn't arrived yet, but they said 4 weeks so I'm not too worried yet.
I hit like on this but this is a great data point. AC are exceeding their legal requirements?!

Im not exactly an AC fanboy but there are a few recent examples here that show AC is, at times, paying these promptly without fuss. So perhaps there is hope!

(Unless there is a time limit on the white form, Id wait until I confirm the 261 myself, but maybe Im just paranoid )
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:16 pm

The discount-voucher form has to be submitted within 60 days, IIRC.

But I received a cheque for $924 in the mail a few hours after my earlier comment -- and just two weeks after the flight in question -- so you absolutely have time to wait for the EU compensation before claiming the "apology" code.
jc94 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jc94

I hit like on this but this is a great data point. AC are exceeding their legal requirements?!

Im not exactly an AC fanboy but there are a few recent examples here that show AC is, at times, paying these promptly without fuss. So perhaps there is hope!

(Unless there is a time limit on the white form, Id wait until I confirm the 261 myself, but maybe Im just paranoid )
AC, like many carriers, hopes that the 15% "discount" will make you go away. It probably does end most claims and thus, the few times people also claim EC 261/2004 compensation are not a big issue to AC. More importantly, while there is some cost to a discount because you are occupying a seat which might -- stress might -- have sold for more, the hit to net revenue is not much.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
AC, like many carriers, hopes that the 15% "discount" will make you go away. It probably does end most claims and thus, the few times people also claim EC 261/2004 compensation are not a big issue to AC. More importantly, while there is some cost to a discount because you are occupying a seat which might -- stress might -- have sold for more, the hit to net revenue is not much.
Oh yeah, I've flown AC due to a voucher before now when I might not have done without it.

Though you appear to be indicating AC only sells each seat once
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Just a quick update. Claim submitted Sept 6, 3 days ago, and an e-mail just received confirming that EUR 600 is due and will be paid by bank draft. So an extremely prompt response! The alternative offer is a voucher for $CDN 1300. Hm. Since we book BIZ TATL tickets several times a year, the voucher is not entirely out of the question. We are thinking it over. The issues we are thinking about are the loss of AQD and a possible reduction in business tax reduction if she takes the voucher. Have we forgotten anything?

The email specifically said that any other goodwill gesture was automatically cancelled -- which I guess is reasonable and only to be expected.

Thanks to all who provided advice on this -- especially to rankourabu for the draft letter.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:46 pm

Just a quick update. Claim submitted Sept 6, 3 days ago, and an e-mail just received confirming that EUR 600 is due and will be paid by bank draft. So an extremely prompt response! The alternative offer is a voucher for $CDN 1300. Hm. Since we book BIZ TATL tickets several times a year, the voucher is not entirely out of the question. We are thinking it over. The issues we are thinking about are the loss of AQD and a possible reduction in business tax reduction if she takes the voucher. Have we forgotten anything?

The email specifically said that any other goodwill gesture was automatically cancelled -- which I guess is reasonable and only to be expected.
Interesting! I didn't get the offer of a voucher... but they didn't cancel my 15% discount code either. Maybe because my 15% discount code was an apology for my missed connection rather than for the flight delay?

Or maybe AC is just being consistently inconsistent, as usual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.