Wiki Posts
Search

Military Pers - 3 bag allowance

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K SPG Gold
Military Pers - 3 bag allowance

Say this info elsewhere. Don't know if there are other current or retired CF members that can use it. Also looking for someone to verify it.
-----
On 12 May 14 Air Canada announced a new baggage policy for CAF members, active or retired.
The new policy states that members are allowed up to 3 bags each weighing no more than 32kgs (70lbs) with valid military ID.
The Air Canada Ref # is ACP 685071 – Military Baggage if you have a problem at the check in counter.
The process for ensuring that you do not pay for extra bags when checking in online, is to pick that you have 1 bag to check. Once you arrive at the airport you go up to the check in counter, inform them you’re military, show them your ID and then tell them you have an additional 1 or 2 bags. They will then check your bags free of charge.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Sounds like AC is finally feeling the competitive heat. West Jet has offered 4 free checked bags to military travellers for awhile now.

Thanks for the tip.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a retired military officer. I can use this info. Thanks for the news.

I have a contact at AC. I will ask for verification of this news and report back.

Last edited by airbus320; May 27, 2014 at 4:49 am Reason: To add last sentence.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
Called into the call center last night for a friend. They were able to CONFIRM that this is true! A memo went out a few days ago. It applies for both Canadian and Americans.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New policy also confirmed by my contact at AC !
Old May 28, 2014, 9:40 am

How do you prove you are a retired member of the CAF? There is no ID card that I'm aware of? Do you need to carry your discharge certificate to get a free bag?
Old May 28, 2014, 10:16 am

10yrs +

Originally Posted by cgyroof
How do you prove you are a retired member of the CAF? There is no ID card that I'm aware of? Do you need to carry your discharge certificate to get a free bag?
If you have been in the CF for at least 10 years, you should have NDI 75 card. You could try showing your CD but that would probably not work.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:49 am

I was only married to the MOB for 7.5 years. I did get Veterans plates for the free parking credits in Calgary.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACArbeiter
If you have been in the CF for at least 10 years, you should have NDI 75 card.

also known as Record of Service Identification
Old May 28, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC MM / S100K, United MP Silver, Qantas Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by airbus320
I am a retired military officer. I can use this info. Thanks for the news.
+1 Thanks
Old May 29, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On AC website:

New checked baggage policy for military personnel

May 29, 2014

Effective immediately, members of the Canadian and U.S. military will benefit from an enhanced baggage allowance whenever they travel on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or Air Canada Express. Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are entitled to up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each.

After completing their check-in, eligible customers are invited to see an airport agent to have their baggage fee waived, upon presentation of military identification.

I wonder if any USA airlines will follow suit for Canadian Military members active and retired.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
If it were up to me, there would be no baggage limit for our Canadian Forces. And knowing those who serve, it would not be abused.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:14 pm

I don't understand why we are giving the US military the benefit here........???

It's not like American airlines give Canadian troops the benefit!
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:38 am

This Air Canada policy was put in place in 2014. I wonder if it is still applicable for retired canadian military members, as of October 2021? Can I get an official confirmation please? Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by dmessier
Can I get an official confirmation please? Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk.

An official confirmation would have to come from Air Canada. I suggest using this form https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/

Alternatively you could use the search engine of your choice to pull up the AC policy (I searched for "air canada military baggage policy") where it lists what ID must be presented including a couple options for members who are no longer active
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.