Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Man pees in bag on no-bathroom AC Express flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 9:43 am
Original Poster

One man's relief triggered a woman's disgust during a recent flight from Deer Lake on the west coast of Newfoundland to Wabush, in western Labrador.

Karen Janes was flying home with her two children on April 30 following an Easter visit with relatives in Springdale, about an hour's drive from Deer Lake.

She was initially concerned when the agent at the airport announced there was no bathroom on the plane.

Others were equally surprised.

"I proceeded to get on the plane and we were only on there probably 10 minutes and I see this gentleman behind me kind of looking around and he says to me, "Is there a washroom on board? And I says, 'No, there's no washroom on board,'" Janes recalled.

What happened next left her dumbfounded.

"So a couple of moments later we started going up in the air and he tapped me on the shoulder and he said, 'Can you move your son? I need to pee.'"

Not once, but twice

With that, Janes said the man peed into a bag. Twice.

"I'm feeling really uncomfortable and disgusted," she said. "One for the fact that there's no bathroom on this plane, and two that this man is urinating behind me with my six-year-old son just ahead of me. The gentleman may very well have had a problem ... so, ya know, I don't blame the gentleman for that."

She does, however, blame the airline and operator.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ight-1.2649342
Old May 21, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I thought the AC Beech 1900 aircrafts had a lavatory in the back?
Old May 21, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I thought the AC Beech 1900 aircrafts had a lavatory in the back?
The plane was a Beechcraft 1900 turbo prop operated by EVAS Air Charters for Air Canada Express. The flight was full with 19 passengers at the time, with a scheduled stop in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, and total flying time of about three hours.

A spokesperson for EVAS said a mechanical issue forced the company to use a substitute plane which had no bathroom.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Don't they usually announce during boarding about the lack of lavatory? I don't blame the guy for pee'ing in a bag. Although a plastic bottle might be more suitable.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The comments on that page and the person complaining needs to get over themselves. He made sure that he was as private as he could, and he needed to go. #firstworldcomplaining
Old May 21, 2014, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
Don't they usually announce during boarding about the lack of lavatory? I don't blame the guy for pee'ing in a bag. Although a plastic bottle might be more suitable.
I agree. I probably would have asked if anyone had a bottle, but other than that, if you have to go...
Old May 21, 2014, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Is AC going to be selling Hot Apple Cider as the next inflight enhancement?

Sorry couldn't resist
Old May 21, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by kwflyer

Sorry couldn't resist
ROFL You're on a roll today
Old May 21, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AP SE
....poor guy
Old May 21, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Oh no, 3 hr flight and no washroom. At least the other 18 people didn't have to go.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
Oh no, 3 hr flight and no washroom. At least the other 18 people didn't have to go.
Actually it was a connection - 2 1h20m flights, and I bet staff would have let him use the washroom in Goose Bay if he wanted to.

Interesting that the event happened April 30 and the woman decided to whine to CBC just now. I assume she tried to first milk AC for compensation and when that failed, she went public with her tale of woe.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
AC decision on the new 777 HD is going to have a lot of people peeing in bags. economy has just 4 bathrooms for 400 people. When the captain put on the fasten seat belts for a 12 hr flight to HKG people might want to keep an empty bottle.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by kwflyer

Sorry couldn't resist
^
Old May 21, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by flybit
AC decision on the new 777 HD is going to have a lot of people peeing in bags. economy has just 4 bathrooms for 400 people. When the captain put on the fasten seat belts for a 12 hr flight to HKG people might want to keep an empty bottle.
Not sure if you meant everything in jest or not... but in the last 5 months of operation on the route people have reported no worse lineups than the regular 77W. BTW it is 8 washrooms for 398Y+24PY... why spread misinformation?
Old May 21, 2014, 12:13 pm

Seriously? Either she adopted that kid or they removed her empathy chip when she gave birth. As I understand it, one of the challenges of pregnancy is having to pee every five minutes. You'd think she'd have some sympathy for the guy. Guess she's never had a UTI, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.