Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Have you ever turned down an upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Have you ever turned down an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elite for AC, SPG, PP, FPC
Have you ever turned down an upgrade?

Just wondering if any FTers have done this, and what bizarre circumstances might justify doing it.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I have on YYC-YYZ, just before Christmas a couple years ago. Put in an upgrade request for my 10 year-old niece and I. I got the upgrade; she did not. It was a full flight, so gave the lucky person sitting in my original economy seat the upgrade.

The SD was nice and brought her cookies and ice cream later.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
A bunch of times....whenever I'm gate-upped and I'm travelling with someone who isn't near the top of the upgrade list. Those are the only times.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
A bunch of times....whenever I'm gate-upped and I'm travelling with someone who isn't near the top of the upgrade list.
+1
Old May 20, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I've given up my upgrade when the IFE was inop at the seat. I was upgraded at the gate, and then called back up by the gate agent to give me a choice after she informed me of the malfunctioning IFE.

Was a short flight - LAX - YVR.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
It must have been in one of my drunken stupors.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
I have when I saw my next leg was very unlikely of clearing. Didn't want to spend the credits on a YYC-YVR. Ended up not making my connection and flying on DL, so good call :-)
Old May 20, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
I got an op-up YYC-YOW at Xmas this past year, but wasn't called to the podium prior, just got handed a new boarding pass on my way onboard. My wife was with me, but on a separate PNR, so no dice for her. Given the long line forming, I wasn't about to decline it to the gate agent, and I tried to give it to the wife onboard. But she had packed a sandwich and snacks (due to allergy issues), so told me to stay up front.

Given the amount of heat I took from family and friends after, I really should have made her sit there. But on the other hand, she doesn't care that much about J vs. Y, so why waste it on her!
Old May 20, 2014, 3:34 pm

Once when flying on a paid fare and my kids were traveling on reward tickets.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
A bunch of times....whenever I'm gate-upped and I'm travelling with someone who isn't near the top of the upgrade list. Those are the only times.
Just yesterday on YYC-YVR. I requested the upgrade to secure the overhead space on the E90 as my carry-on will not fir in the back. I went to the back and told the gentleman next to my wife it was his lucky day. He was very pleased.

The SD noticed that and brought me drinks.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by zorn
It must have been in one of my drunken stupors.
Now you've given away your true identity.

I've turned it down when I was already seated, and they came by and told me that I actually had an upgrade come through. IT was ATL - YYZ and I was fine in an exit row.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Yes: sometimes when my boss hasn't been upgraded, always when my girlfriend hasn't been upgraded.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

God forbid?

No, never.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:01 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

please delete

Last edited by PLeblond; May 20, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I got an op-up YYC-YOW at Xmas this past year, but wasn't called to the podium prior, just got handed a new boarding pass on my way onboard. My wife was with me, but on a separate PNR, so no dice for her. Given the long line forming, I wasn't about to decline it to the gate agent, and I tried to give it to the wife onboard. But she had packed a sandwich and snacks (due to allergy issues), so told me to stay up front.

Given the amount of heat I took from family and friends after, I really should have made her sit there. But on the other hand, she doesn't care that much about J vs. Y, so why waste it on her!
Haha, this actually made me laugh.

Hubby: Hey babe, I just got an upgrade, do you want it?
Wifey: Aww, you're sweet, It's okay you can have it
Hubby: Ok thanks, see you when we land
Wifey:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.