Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada plans to refurbish 18 of its 777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
2016 777 Routes

*FAQ
Q: Are all 777s refurbished?
A: Yes, all active 777s have the new configuration (Executive Pod) J suites, Premium Economy, and 10-across Economy seats.

Q: Are the dividers in the middle J seats moveable? Can they be slid up/down?
A: No, all Dream Cabin J seat dividers do not come down and are fixed in place.

Summer 2016 777 International Routes
End of summer schedule changes will be added in the future

77L (40J-24O-236Y : 300 pax)
Calgary – London Heathrow: AC850/851
Toronto – Hong Kong: AC15/16
Toronto – London Heathrow: AC858/859
Toronto – Vancouver – Sydney: AC33/34

77W (40J-24O-336Y : 400 pax)
Toronto – Beijing: AC31/32
Toronto – Frankfurt: AC872/873
Toronto – London Heathrow: AC856/869
Toronto – London Heathrow: AC848/849
Toronto – Paris CDG: AC880/881
Toronto – Rome Fiumicino: AC890/891 until Sep 12 (out), Sep 13 (in)
Toronto – Shanghai Pudong: AC87/88
Toronto – Tokyo Haneda: AC5/6
Vancouver – Shanghai Pudong: AC25/26
Vancouver – Tokyo Narita: AC3/4

77W (28J-24O-398Y : 450 pax)
Montreal – London Heathrow: AC864/865
Montreal – Paris CDG: AC870/871
Montreal – Paris CDG: AC884/885
Vancouver – Beijing: AC29/30
Vancouver – Hong Kong: AC7/8
Vancouver – London Heathrow: AC854/855

Code:

Aircraft Tracking (last updated Jun 16, 2016)
 Plane       Status       Location Details

77L (40J-24O-236Y : 300 pax)
 C-FIUA-701  Done         Loc:HKG  In:Apr 09/16  Out:May 09/16  (30 days)
 C-FIUF-702  Done         Loc:HKG  In:Nov 08/15  Out:Dec 27/15  (49 days)
 C-FIUJ-703  Done         Loc:HKG  In:Dec 27/15  Out:Feb 04/16  (39 days)
 C-FIVK-704  Done         Loc:HKG  In:May 09/16  Out:Jun 08/16  (30 days)
 C-FNND-705  Done         Loc:HKG  In:Mar 09/16  Out:Apr 09/16  (31 days)
 C-FNNH-706  Done         Loc:HKG  In:Feb 04/16  Out:Mar 09/16  (34 days)

77W (40J-24O-336Y : 400 pax)
 C-FITL-731  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Sep 01/15  Out:Nov 20/15  (80 Days)
 C-FITU-732  Done         Loc:GSO  In:May 03/16  Out:Jun 05/16  (33 days)
 C-FITW-733  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Nov 23/15  Out:Jan 06/16  (45 days)
 C-FIUL-734  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Mar 16/16  Out:Apr 17/16  (32 days)  
 C-FIUR-735  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Dec 09/15  Out:Jan 18/16  (40 days)
 C-FIUV-736  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Feb 26/16  Out:Apr 02/16  (36 days)
 C-FIUW-737  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Jan 06/16  Out:Feb 12/16  (37 days)
 C-FIVM-738  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Feb 13/16  Out:Mar 16/16  (32 days)
 C-FRAM-739  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Apr 02/16  Out:May 02/16  (30 days)
 C-FIVQ-740  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Jan 20/16  Out:Feb 26/16  (37 days)
 C-FIVR-741  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Apr 17/16  Out:May 17/16  (30 days)
 C-FIVS-742  Done         Loc:GSO  In:Oct 23/15  Out:Dec 08/15  (46 days)

77W (28J-24O-398Y : 450 pax)
 C-FIVW-743  Done         Loc:YMX  In:Mar 28/16  Out:Apr 23/16  (26 days)
 C-FIVX-744  Done         Loc:YMX  In:May 21/16  Out:Jun 03/16  (13 days)
 C-FNNQ-745  Done         Loc:YMX  In:Jun 03/16  Out:Jun 16/16  (13 days)
 C-FNNU-746  Done         Loc:YMX  In:May 06/16  Out:May 21/16  (15 days)
 C-FNNW-747  Done         Loc:YMX  In:Apr 23/16  Out:May 06/16  (13 days)
 C-FJZS-748  In Service   Loc:YMX  FF:Mar 24/16  Del:Apr 26/16  EIS:May 18/16
 C-FKAU-749  In Service   Loc:YMX  FF:May 01/16  Del:May 21/16  EIS:Jun 10/16

Print Wikipost

Air Canada plans to refurbish 18 of its 777

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 4:41 pm

Ah Canada, getting the airline it deserves. A little more competition right about now wouldn't hurt I don't think. I mean, 3-4-3 with 31" seat pitch doesn't sound nearly as appealing as 3-4-3 with 33-34" pitch...
Old May 16, 2014, 4:46 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
All but one domestic UA 777 aircraft have been reconfigured in J. They now have the old international J loungers -- not lie flat, but much better than the old domestic J product. The last aircraft should be reconfigured shortly.
Thanks for the info.

I heard something about wifi to your iPad as inflight entertainment for the Hawaii 777. Just looked up the seat map. Wow. still 2-5-2. More pitch less width. No power ports (not than Empower car type plugs were the bomb, but still better than nothing). J went from 2-2-2 to 2-3-2.

I love the concept of updating TO the old international J loungers. Only US legacy carriers could update to a standard more than 10 years old....
Old May 16, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Í´m fairly confident the 777s will get the new J pod and not the mediocre 77P J seat.
I certainly hope so. This is the only reason I stick with AC.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Yes. AC is stupid but not so stupid they would look at CX J and put in LX J from the sardine cans versus the 787 j. It will be 787 j and another type of HD Y. Sure, not the Shiity HD y of the 5 777s but a new, equally shiiiity y.. Prove me wrong AC
Old May 16, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Maybe it's time to stop with this red herring. AA tried "More Room Throughout Coach" 14 years ago. It went to 35" pitch when the standard was 32"-33". People were comfortable enough in 32"-33" pitch seats, and most didn't see the point in paying for more legroom (a few did and still do, hence UA E+, MCE, etc). What airlines are doing today is reducing pitch from 32" to knee-crushing standards of 29"-31", and width from 18" to shoulder-banging 17". Justifying this as "AA tried to expand room throughout coach and it didn't work" is nonsensical. Following that logic, why not 20" pitch and 12" width? Hey, AA tried more room, it didn't work...
I think if AA tried MRTC today they would have extremely different results than back then, given how the airline industry seems to have a widespread adoption of such tight Y seating that larger individuals may have trouble fitting in the seat. In the 2000s, people had a mainline amount of legroom, and didn't see a need to pay for more. Now, we have widespread LCC-esque legroom, and many people who don't fly on LCCs don't for a reason. I often see people in (I'm a UA flyer primarily, BG4 is for non-elites only) boarding group 4 in the E+ middles on United, so people really do pay for better seats.

That said, I actually like what American did with their 77W's, with a reasonable 3-3-3 offering available for a reasonable buy-up, a little something passed to oneworld elites for getting it free and ensuring the long-term viability of airlines as I'd imagine many larger individuals who are constantly subject to the sardine can of the AC 777HD would try to change profession, and 3-4-3 sardine can configuration so that those who will take a sardine can to save a few bucks can get what they want. But I don't think this will see widespread adoption because airlines know that the future is 3-4-3 with <30" pitch in Y and see no reason to offer any more than that. And these days, we are paying mainline prices (or even more than mainline prices) to sit in planes that have LCC-type seats.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:29 pm

AC knows PE is where it is at these days, just like HD Y. Businesses aren't paying for J anymore like they used to to. Luckily, I can avoid HD Y and I really see the move to a reverse herringbone J as a good thing comfort wise (compared to the 77HD offering) since these are great seats on CX and BR (and DL A330s). Despite a loyal following here, the AC pods have been past their prime a while. I do pity people counting on upgrades though as the AC J cabin shrinks. Better get used to PE.

Last edited by sp4294; May 16, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Old May 17, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Yes, Ben Smith has confirmed the re-configured 77W/77L will get the pods.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I think if AA tried MRTC today they would have extremely different results than back then, given how the airline industry seems to have a widespread adoption of such tight Y seating that larger individuals may have trouble fitting in the seat. In the 2000s, people had a mainline amount of legroom, and didn't see a need to pay for more. Now, we have widespread LCC-esque legroom, and many people who don't fly on LCCs don't for a reason. I often see people in (I'm a UA flyer primarily, BG4 is for non-elites only) boarding group 4 in the E+ middles on United, so people really do pay for better seats.

That said, I actually like what American did with their 77W's, with a reasonable 3-3-3 offering available for a reasonable buy-up, a little something passed to oneworld elites for getting it free and ensuring the long-term viability of airlines as I'd imagine many larger individuals who are constantly subject to the sardine can of the AC 777HD would try to change profession, and 3-4-3 sardine can configuration so that those who will take a sardine can to save a few bucks can get what they want. But I don't think this will see widespread adoption because airlines know that the future is 3-4-3 with <30" pitch in Y and see no reason to offer any more than that. And these days, we are paying mainline prices (or even more than mainline prices) to sit in planes that have LCC-type seats.
I agree there may be a niche market for more room and persons willing to pay for it, but its a small market and people aren't rushing to it. . But yes, soon, everyone will be 10 across on 777s.

My only disagreement (maybe too strong a word) is when you say 'we paying mainline prices'. Fare prices, in real dollars, has gone down 50% over the last 30 years (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...oticed/273506/) LCCs have forced prices down and the gap between mainline and LCC both in terms of prices and product is shrinking. Consumer cost of flying is down across the board and fuel prices and labour prices have increased. There was a time not that long ago when flying was for the privileged, today it is very accessible. Those who remember buying airline tickets 30 years ago probably remember paying a lot more than today in numerical dollars. Imagine if you factor for inflation.

Last edited by PLeblond; May 17, 2014 at 6:18 am
Old May 17, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by tireman77
My only disagreement (maybe too strong a word) is when you say 'we paying mainline prices'. Fare prices, in real dollars, has gone down 50% over the last 30 years

(http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...oticed/273506/)

LCCs have forced prices down and the gap between mainline and LCC both in terms of prices and product is shrinking. Consumer cost of flying is down across the board and fuel prices and labour prices have increased. There was a time not that long ago when flying was for the privileged, today it is very accessible. Those who remember buying airline tickets 30 years ago probably remember paying a lot more than today in numerical dollars. Imagine if you factor for inflation.
I hear this argument often, but I don't necessarily buy it. It may be true in the US context, or even the European context, but as many here have long held, Canada is 'special'.

1. Airfares have gone down? Well, so have operating costs. And so have labor costs. The Rouge FA job is little more than a McDonalds job - although it should be noted that unlike AC Rouge, McDonalds actually pays for its employees' training. And then there's technological innovation - think its fair to say that a 77W costs much less to operate than a 747-100.

2. Flying more accessible? In the US, sure. But then again, on a per capita basis, the average Canadian flies only 40% of what the average American flies. Flying has become more accessible in some countries and not as much in others.
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito..._to_earth.html

3. LCCs have forced prices down? Yes they have. Granted the article you posted attributes the drop in prices to intense competition. Is there intense competition in the US? Undoubtedly. Is there intense competition in Canada? Legitimate question. This report from the Competition Bureau might provide a clue:

"While Canada has to date insisted on reciprocity as a condition of opening the Canadian airline market to foreign competition, the public interest in airline competition goes beyond the interests of existing domestic market participants to include the economy generally and important industries, such as tourism. The Bureau recognizes that there is an important policy question of whether rights of establishment or cabotage should be granted only on a reciprocal basis. Based on competition grounds, a strong case exists supporting the implementation of such measures unilaterally."

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/02555.html

Intense competition in Canada? The Competition Bureau is advocating allowing cabotage unilaterally to increase competition. That doesn't suggest to me that they think the market is already intensely competitive. In fact, they're arguing the opposite.

4. The argument about providing a Rouge product at 'mainline prices' remains valid regardless of how much prices have fallen between 1984 and 2014. How much do you think your computer - with its current specifications (hard drive and processing power) - would have cost in 1984? How much does it cost today? More to the point, should the cost of this computer in 1984 be even a remote consideration when you go out to buy a computer today?

These comparisons strike me as odd because they are, frankly, irrelevant. If someone tries to sell you a netbook for a MacBook pro-price, would you be wrong to call them out for it? Or would you take your own proposed approach, and note that a netbook today costs a lot less than what it would have cost in 1984, so a MacBook price for it is really quite a good deal.

In sum, yes, airfares have gone down, but no that does not mean that anyone is wrong in pointing out that a substandard product is a substandard product, acknowledging, of course, that the standard I refer to is a 'developed world' standard.

The reality is that AC is effectively selling a netbook for a MacBook Pro price. I don't think there is anything wrong with people calling it out. Its one thing charging Ryanair prices for Ryanair service. Its quite another charging mainline prices for a Ryanair service (which, frankly, wouldn't fly in the rest of the first world). That, I think, is the point being made here.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I heard something about wifi to your iPad as inflight entertainment for the Hawaii 777. Just looked up the seat map. Wow. still 2-5-2. More pitch less width. No power ports (not than Empower car type plugs were the bomb, but still better than nothing). J went from 2-2-2 to 2-3-2.

I love the concept of updating TO the old international J loungers. Only US legacy carriers could update to a standard more than 10 years old....
Without wanting to stray too far from the topic of the AC 777 reconfig, your mistake is thinking that U.S. carriers will wish to fly international business configs US48-Hawaii. Apart from routes (that can be counted on the fingers of one hand) where a carrier uses a widebody because they need the range, overwhelmingly flights to Hawaii are configured with domestic first seating. Among U.S. carriers, widebodies with domestic F seating are a rare breed - 16 767-300s with Delta (to be retired within a few years), and a few 777s with United. AA/US has none. Yet each has a fleet of more than 700 mainline aircraft.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
It's been obviously so, for years, that AC wanted to become E/paid E+ airline.

Take your Executive Class brandy snifters elsewhere, down with the bourgeois!!

This is Kanada's Ryanair.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Without wanting to stray too far from the topic of the AC 777 reconfig, your mistake is thinking that U.S. carriers will wish to fly international business configs US48-Hawaii. Apart from routes (that can be counted on the fingers of one hand) where a carrier uses a widebody because they need the range, overwhelmingly flights to Hawaii are configured with domestic first seating. Among U.S. carriers, widebodies with domestic F seating are a rare breed - 16 767-300s with Delta (to be retired within a few years), and a few 777s with United. AA/US has none. Yet each has a fleet of more than 700 mainline aircraft.
You are correct. I mistook the 2-5-2 config for a 10 abreast. I remove UA for my example of the dozen or so airlines currently flying 10 abreast 777s.

Getting back on topic, ACs move towards 10 abreast 777s is just following along with where the industry as a whole is going towards that configuration. Judging by load factors, most flyers don't care....
Old May 17, 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by yulred
I hear this argument often, but I don't necessarily buy it. It may be true in the US context, or even the European context, but as many here have long held, Canada is 'special'.

1. Airfares have gone down? Well, so have operating costs. And so have labor costs. The Rouge FA job is little more than a McDonalds job - although it should be noted that unlike AC Rouge, McDonalds actually pays for its employees' training. And then there's technological innovation - think its fair to say that a 77W costs much less to operate than a 747-100.

2. Flying more accessible? In the US, sure. But then again, on a per capita basis, the average Canadian flies only 40% of what the average American flies. Flying has become more accessible in some countries and not as much in others.
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito..._to_earth.html

3. LCCs have forced prices down? Yes they have. Granted the article you posted attributes the drop in prices to intense competition. Is there intense competition in the US? Undoubtedly. Is there intense competition in Canada? Legitimate question. This report from the Competition Bureau might provide a clue:

"While Canada has to date insisted on reciprocity as a condition of opening the Canadian airline market to foreign competition, the public interest in airline competition goes beyond the interests of existing domestic market participants to include the economy generally and important industries, such as tourism. The Bureau recognizes that there is an important policy question of whether rights of establishment or cabotage should be granted only on a reciprocal basis. Based on competition grounds, a strong case exists supporting the implementation of such measures unilaterally."

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/02555.html

Intense competition in Canada? The Competition Bureau is advocating allowing cabotage unilaterally to increase competition. That doesn't suggest to me that they think the market is already intensely competitive. In fact, they're arguing the opposite.

4. The argument about providing a Rouge product at 'mainline prices' remains valid regardless of how much prices have fallen between 1984 and 2014. How much do you think your computer - with its current specifications (hard drive and processing power) - would have cost in 1984? How much does it cost today? More to the point, should the cost of this computer in 1984 be even a remote consideration when you go out to buy a computer today?

These comparisons strike me as odd because they are, frankly, irrelevant. If someone tries to sell you a netbook for a MacBook pro-price, would you be wrong to call them out for it? Or would you take your own proposed approach, and note that a netbook today costs a lot less than what it would have cost in 1984, so a MacBook price for it is really quite a good deal.

In sum, yes, airfares have gone down, but no that does not mean that anyone is wrong in pointing out that a substandard product is a substandard product, acknowledging, of course, that the standard I refer to is a 'developed world' standard.

The reality is that AC is effectively selling a netbook for a MacBook Pro price. I don't think there is anything wrong with people calling it out. Its one thing charging Ryanair prices for Ryanair service. Its quite another charging mainline prices for a Ryanair service (which, frankly, wouldn't fly in the rest of the first world). That, I think, is the point being made here.
Not wanting to get too far off topic, but your points could be valid on Domestic routes, but AC competes with US carriers on TB routes, European carriers and US carriers on TATL routes, Asian Carriers and US carriers for TPAC routes, and of course Middle East carriers on everything in the middle. I would call that competition.
I remember how much is used to cost to fly to Europe in the early 90s and to FLA and LA in the 80s. Am I wrong to say fares are lower?

Last edited by PLeblond; May 17, 2014 at 10:35 am Reason: corrected typo. I'm sure there are more...
Old May 17, 2014, 11:38 am

Not wanting to get too far off topic, but your points could be valid on Domestic routes, but AC competes with US carriers on TB routes, European carriers and US carriers on TATL routes, Asian Carriers and US carriers for TPAC routes, and of course Middle East carriers on everything in the middle. I would call that competition.
I remember how much is used to cost to fly to Europe in the early 90s and to FLA and LA in the 80s. Am I wrong to say fares are lower?
I will avoid the discussion on competition to avoid going too far off track. My views on this are well known. I will simply limit myself to saying that while there is some competition, it is nowhere near the same level as the level of competition seen in the rest of the developed, particularly on international flights, due in no small part to government protectionism.

There are many 3-4-3 products out there with 31" seat pitch. How many of them cost as much as AC does for flights of a similar length? Point being - the actual configuration is pointless if considered in isolation. It can only be judged according to the price it is being sold at. 3-4-3 31" for $500 TATL r/t is excellent. At $1500, not so much.

You are not wrong to say prices are lower now than they were then. This is true. They are. However, this fact remains utterly irrelevant in the current argument of "poor product at mainline prices". Judging the product v price against product v price 30 years ago is an exercise in futility - unless, of course, you factor in the price of a computer 30 years ago when you buy one today.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
I will avoid the discussion on competition to avoid going too far off track. My views on this are well known. I will simply limit myself to saying that while there is some competition, it is nowhere near the same level as the level of competition seen in the rest of the developed, particularly on international flights, due in no small part to government protectionism.

There are many 3-4-3 products out there with 31" seat pitch. How many of them cost as much as AC does for flights of a similar length? Point being - the actual configuration is pointless if considered in isolation. It can only be judged according to the price it is being sold at. 3-4-3 31" for $500 TATL r/t is excellent. At $1500, not so much.

You are not wrong to say prices are lower now than they were then. This is true. They are. However, this fact remains utterly irrelevant in the current argument of "poor product at mainline prices". Judging the product v price against product v price 30 years ago is an exercise in futility - unless, of course, you factor in the price of a computer 30 years ago when you buy one today.
Just looked up fares for YUL-CDG (a route where AC uses the 'dreaded 77HD'. In August (high volume travel both in France and Canada) TS: $975 AF $1100 (old 747 - 10 abreast 32" pitch x 17" width, No PE, No lie flat) AC AC $1180.

The computer analogy is interesting, except the the cost of planes hasn't dropped anywhere nearthat much in the same time period.

Anywhooo.. I understand you hate the 10 across and consider it an inferior product and feel you're getting screwed. Nothing I can say will make you change your mind, so I'll stop. I give up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.