AC Presence on FT

Old May 26, 2014, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm not stepping in here to defend AC, but...

on the subject of hearing ads every flight...do I find them annoying, sure, but someone has to pay for the IFE. There are ipsos reid surveys that I've seen lately asking about what I thought about AC's IFE and if I would pay for it - gasp!

How do you guys justify going to the movies? You've paid for a ticket yet are forced to watch 30 minutes of trailers and ads. Same concept, no?
Let me clarify. Ads I can fast forward, ads on napkins, ads on boarding passes, in Enroute etc are ok. Ads blaring at me at ear splitting volume I cannot turn off or ignore are NOT ok.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
We wanted to keep some differentiation between a purchased J fare and LMU, otherwise people may have less of an incentive to purchase an outright J fare if they knew they could always buy Tango and upgrade to get the same benefits. Less mileage is also one of the reasons we can offer the LMU at a discounted rate i.e. less cost.
What is the reason LMUs are not offered to people on wait list for eUPs?
Old May 26, 2014, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Allvest
Let me clarify. Ads I can fast forward, ads on napkins, ads on boarding passes, in Enroute etc are ok. Ads blaring at me at ear splitting volume I cannot turn off or ignore are NOT ok.
Same as the movies, no? Would you rather pay for content or listen to ads? Same revenue idea...
Old May 26, 2014, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
We wanted to keep some differentiation between a purchased J fare and LMU, otherwise people may have less of an incentive to purchase an outright J fare if they knew they could always buy Tango and upgrade to get the same benefits. Less mileage is also one of the reasons we can offer the LMU at a discounted rate i.e. less cost.
I used to do LMU's before I was *G. Same sort of idea with not guaranteeing a meal for LMU's I'm sure. (meal orders taken last for LMU's as well) <--the way it should be anyways
Old May 26, 2014, 9:39 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

In the case of a SDC listed as $100 on my ticket and collected as $300 on check in, I was forced to pay and was refunded by your YYC executive assistance team.

Your team there are quite efficient. Just can't figure out why there would ever be a discrepancy. It drove the check-in agent and concierge bonkers. I finally agreed to pay the charge to let the front line staff off the hook and apply for a refund, which was granted.

I do thank you for the offer of follow up. Let me use my brownie points another time, please.
I really am sorry you had issues with the wrong SDC being charged, that doesn't reflect very well on us and I'm sorry for that. I'm just not sure why that would have happened in the first place. If do have any further issues please let me know so that I can investigate.

About the "Aeroplan issue". As long as you let them use your 014 ticket stock, their antics reflect poorly on Air Canada. Take it for what it's worth, but I believe it's worth a LOT of goodwill lost on a daily basis. To me, Aeroplan is run by a band of crooks.
I don't see this changing any time soon, given that Aeroplan is not an IATA member and thus does not have their own ticket stock. For what it's worth, Avios uses BA 125 stock and I imagine the new M&M will use LH 220 stock.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:46 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

This is kind of a mixed bag. I believe when we first launched LMUs, and to the extent that some American carriers still do, we offered everybody LMUs whether or not they were on the upgrade list. However we received pushback from some of our Top Tier customers informing us it was akin to a slap in the face as they were waitlisted to use their upgrades and then were offered a chance to buy the same seat. Obviously there are those who see this as a missed opportunity to secure an upgrade for which they are waitlisted, so it's a delicate balance. For now I believe this is the solution that was decided to be the best suited to the majority of our customers - I know this may irk some of you but for us it's difficult to offer a happy medium.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I don't see this changing any time soon, given that Aeroplan is not an IATA member and thus does not have their own ticket stock. For what it's worth, Avios uses BA 125 stock and I imagine the new M&M will use LH 220 stock.
The difference between Aeroplan and other FF programs is that they are wholly owned and operated divisions of their airlines and not separate corporate entities independent (supposedly) of their primary airline for whom they operate an FF program. All issue tickets under the stock number of their corporate entity, as they should.

The primary issue with the AE/AC ticketing arrangement is that for some reason LH, AC, TG, SQ and other carriers insist on charging the AE for the fuel surcharge and in turn AE passes this along to us, while at UA MileagePlus does not add on this fuel surcharge to award tickets on those same carriers. So the question is why? Does United absorb the fuel surcharge, or are LH and AC (and others) not charging this to MP? I can use my MP miles to fly on the same AC plane for $100 or more less than if I used AE miles.

And of course, there are many here who charge that AC itself is keeping the fuel surcharge and fattening its pocket while not passing it along to the airlines that supposedly have requested these fees be paid on award tickets.

So what's the real story here?

1. Why do these airlines ask AE to pay the fuel surcharge but not MP?
2. Does AC actually keep the fuel surcharge and not pass it along to the carrier flown?
3. If AE contracted with UA to issue its award tickets (as any travel agency can do with airlines it deals with) would we have to pay the fuel surcharges?

This issue has been dodged throughout this thread and elsewhere, so can we please have an answer from AC that comes from someone who actually sits on the STAR Alliance councils that deal with interline award ticketing policy?
Old May 26, 2014, 9:52 am

True, though as they are/will be subsidiaries of their parent corporation, BA/LH can still step in quickly if/when they do things that reflect poorly on the airline. OTOH, AC can only sit back and watch while slowly repeating: "Only 6 more years. Only 6 more years."
Old May 26, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
This is an Aeroplan issue, not AC.
This is a response that always rubs me the wrong way. AC is one of only a small number of major airlines that I'm aware of that have outsourced their FF program yet this tends to be the "go to" response.

As "a valued Aeroplan Member since February 23, 1991" I remember when Aeroplan was part of Air Canada and the integrated customer service provided a better experience and recognition of loyalty. I get the new business realty but I don't believe that hiding behind the separate company defence buys you anything in terms of customer loyalty. I put up with Aeroplan because I fly with AC, I don't fly AC because I belong to a program managed by Aimia.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:57 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There seems to be some cunfusion regarding what AC's policy is with regards to providing accommodation etc. during IRROPs.

The Air Canada policy says that AC will only provide accommodation in the event of controllable IRROPs and only to UMs, disabled pax etc. in the event of uncontrollable IRROPs.

However, that policy doesn't quite seem to match the *A guidelines which seem to indicate airlines shall provide amenities such as accommodation, food, transportation etc. to premium pax and *G pax on international itineraries.

Star Alliance Reference Guide (page 128)

Could you please clarify what AC's policy is regarding providing accommodation to J/*G pax on int'l itineraries in the event of IRROPs outside AC's control?
AC provides hotel and meal vouchers for all customers during an uncontrollable situation if the customer is in transit (i.e. already started his/her journey). In some situations, they will also provide for customers who are starting their return journey. Premium customer should get better hotels and more priority assistance.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Shareholder

So what's the real story here?

1. Why do these airlines ask AE to pay the fuel surcharge but not MP?
2. Does AC actually keep the fuel surcharge and not pass it along to the carrier flown?
3. If AE contracted with UA to issue its award tickets (as any travel agency can do with airlines it deals with) would we have to pay the fuel surcharges?

This issue has been dodged throughout this thread and elsewhere, so can we please have an answer from AC that comes from someone who actually sits on the STAR Alliance councils that deal with interline award ticketing policy?
MP is not alone. USDM never charged YQ, Lifemiles still doesn't.
UA and US are the most cost-cutting bottom-racing airlines that are out there. It is impossible to believe that simply they were absorbing these costs on every award ticket. The only explanation is that YQ is used to fatten AC's wallets.

Aeroplan has stated that the ticketing carrier keeps the surcharge, you really expect AC to come out to admit this in public as well?

Here is the marketing-speak answer you will get:
The relationship between Aeroplan and Air Canada is based on an old and complex agreement, and details cannot be discussed in public.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And UA has advertising on their napkins. Does the sight of that offend you as well?
The only "advertising" on UA napkins is for either UA or MileagePlus. I have not seen a third party ad on napkins, air sickness bags or other such items in the past several years flying UA. Please get your facts correct.

Otherwise I agree with your general approach to IFE and recognize the value of having ads prior to films. That you at least have enabled fast forward on these ads is admirable...after the umpteenth viewing, we can get the message a 10x speed...and advertisers should also recognize the antagonism and negative impression it leaves with us if we must endure their message every time we want to watch a movie. This more than negates their attempt to reach us with their message!

What has annoyed me about IFE is when flight announcements come on, their volume is often considerably higher than the original program, particularly when using Bose headphones!
Old May 26, 2014, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have been offered an LMU while waitlisted, but given Ben's response, that seems like a bug.

AC provides hotel and meal vouchers for all customers during an uncontrollable situation if the customer is in transit (i.e. already started his/her journey). In some situations, they will also provide for customers who are starting their return journey. Premium customer should get better hotels and more priority assistance.
And this is a huge reason I like AC compared to airlines in the US. They just rebook me and tell me to come back tomorrow. AC gives me a hotel. Thank you for this policy
Old May 26, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
That is understandable, thank you for the explanation.

In my own case, I fly paid J and Flex Flight Passes almost exclusively for paid work. I sit on a board of a non-profit, however, and book Tango for these meetings. It would be nice to be able to get full mileage for an LMU, essentially expensing the lowest cost ticket to the non-profit and supplementing the difference myself.

On a related note, I know it is possible to 'buy up' to Flex without a change fee by calling in, but it can't be through the website. Is this something that can be added? I would imagine there are plenty of Frequent Flyers that get stuck with a Tango ticket from time to time and would like to supplement the 'buy up' themselves both for the miles and the upgradability. Calling in to the call centre is a pain.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the response. Though unless I'm missing something that doesn't answer my question about the discrepancy between AC's policy and the *A policy with regards to providing accommodation/meals to premium pax travelling internationally in the event of controllable irrops. Though, maybe it's best not to have an official policy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.