AC Presence on FT

Old May 14, 14, 11:07 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
Ben, are you going to be at the 787 do on Tuesday ?

Would be great for some FT'ers to put a face to the name (maybe it will prevent some people from being nasty )
I'll be there on Tuesday so if any of you are there then look forward to seeing you then!
Old May 14, 14, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Hope you have official sanction to do this. We know of at least one employee (albeit at AE) who lost his job over doing this sort of thing without corporate approval.
Old May 14, 14, 11:26 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG PLAT, National Executive
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Hope you have official sanction to do this. We know of at least one employee (albeit at AE) who lost his job over doing this sort of thing without corporate approval.
Answered on page 1.

Originally Posted by benjybl View Post
It's a good question, but to be honest, I'm not an "official" online engagement anything. I'm smiply here as a representative of the company to try and have a conversation with our most engaged flyers, very much like ACYYZ/SD. Ben Smith and Craig Landry are both aware, and we all agree that it's not often you find such a confluence of people who decide to discuss your company, product, and brand in their own time. I think it would be nice to share the company's perspective on some of the issues that are most pressing on here.
Old May 14, 14, 11:35 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Welcome Ben to FT (in your new role). Really nice to have a new person from AC joining in. I predict you will be soon a busy person

Sorry that you can't make it to the YYZ event on the 20th, it would have been nice to see you there. Just saw Andrew posting so I'll make sure to say hello.

Last edited by 767300ER; May 14, 14 at 11:44 am
Old May 14, 14, 11:35 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Ben,
Welcome to the party in your new role. There is such a pent-up demand for transparency from AC that I'm sure you will find your work cut out for you. I do hope that your asbestos suit is in good condition.

One question that I would appreciate some insight into is how upgrades at the gate are prioritized. I'm sure others would be interested as well as this remains a hot topic on FT and numerous theories abound.
Old May 14, 14, 11:49 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Welcome Ben. It's good to see a company representative here.

Will your role be something similar to Nicci on the British Airways board? She's the go to person when customers hit brick walls or making sure matters of concern can get routed to the right ears when they might otherwise not be heard. She's kind of a roving ambassador for BA and the official interaction between FT members and the airline. A summary thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-help-you.html
Old May 14, 14, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 4havnfun View Post
One question that I would appreciate some insight into is how upgrades at the gate are prioritized. I'm sure others would be interested as well as this remains a hot topic on FT and numerous theories abound.
+1

I'm certain the group here could give you a top 10 list of questions. If you'd be able to answer them, or just acknowledge them and note that at this time AC is not comfortable (or whatever PR approved wording you'd like) answering them that would be nice. Even just knowing that someone is taking the questions to a person who could give/approve an answer would go a long, long way in the forum.

Things that come to mind:
1) How do upgrades work? I'm not a huge UA fan, but they detail how upgrades work in the minutia. Many would be willing to buy up to have a better chance at an upgrade, but we can't do that if we can't assess the chances.

Even if you can't provide a complete 5 page narrative, could we at least know where PE fares rank relative to economy fares?
2) What's the plan with the narrow-body E+ seats for the non-SE among us? When can we expect to hear?
3) What's the plan for the 777 refurb? Can we expect to see PE installed more widely or new Y seats? What's the timeline? When is an announcement expected?
Old May 14, 14, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu View Post
I'll be there on Tuesday so if any of you are there then look forward to seeing you then!
Will we recognize you with your Habs jersey on?
Old May 14, 14, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
I have found it frustrating at times that there wasn't someone from AC who would communicate back and forth with FT members consistently.

The official channel is basically just posting press releases.

Any additional communication is extremely welcome!
Old May 14, 14, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult View Post
+1

1) How do upgrades work? I'm not a huge UA fan, but they detail how upgrades work in the minutia. Many would be willing to buy up to have a better chance at an upgrade, but we can't do that if we can't assess the chances. Even if you can't provide a complete 5 page narrative, could we at least know where PE fares rank relative to economy fares?
2) What's the plan with the narrow-body E+ seats for the non-SE among us? When can we expect to hear?
3) What's the plan for the 777 refurb? Can we expect to see PE installed more widely or new Y seats? What's the timeline? When is an announcement expected?
Welcome to FT! Some open and honest communication would be a revelation from AC and much appreciated!

I would agree with Rehoult's questions as being some of the most often asked and of the most interest.

On question 3 I would also ask that during the 777 refurb will AC move to 10 abreast in Y.
Old May 14, 14, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu View Post
For Andrew, or Ben..... is there a way to find out if this SEMM is on the list for 4th or 5th alternate for the B788 do? What else would I have to do so that next time I move up the list?
Old May 14, 14, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador & lifetime Plat
Welcome Ben. Great to see you growing the AC presence on here. And good luck in your new role!
Old May 14, 14, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
First off welcome to the forum Ben!

Its always great to see how how FT has helped you land your dream job and been a positive aspect on one's life.

As a marketer myself, I have been less than enthused with ACAltitude's presence.

I think what is needed from a company representative perspective is straight honest talk with its bests customers. Meaning no spin (like ACAltitude's ''we strongly believe you will like AC Rouge'') and haphazard postings. A casual coffeeshop style conversation whereby you can help to explain the rationale of AC's decisions, as well funnel our feedback up the marketing channels would greatly be appreciated. Since you've already had experience on FT and know about its bottom up style approach I hope that you will respect that.

I am interested though if you are able to shed light on why AC rouge is deleting all negative feedback on its social media pages as well as contacting tripadvisor. Do you really have seperate PR teams for AC, AC Altitude, and AC Rouge. As well if you are able to shed any light on the rationale of the LAX and SFO getting rouged for trips to YVR (yet not YYZ-FLL) that would be appreciated. Many on here (including myself) thought there was enough J/premium travel to justify mainline service.

Again welcome to the forum, and hope to see a consistent,authentic presence from AC this time! ^
Old May 14, 14, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
"As well if you are able to shed any light on the rationale of the LAX and SFO getting rouged for trips to YVR (yet not YYZ-FLL) that would be appreciated. Many on here (including myself) thought there was enough J/premium travel to justify mainline service."

Probably because Air Canada doesn't place much value on Vancouver as compared to Toronto/Montreal.

Look at the hub strategy of Toronto, and what Air Canada has done to Vancouver over the years:

- Beijing and Shanghai frequencies dropped (and finally increased about a year ago back to daily), while star alliance partners moved in to fill the void and add additional frequencies.
- ANA doing Haneda from Vancouver
- Launch of the 777HD on long haul routes from Vancouver - Hong Kong and London
- No more Osaka or Nagoya from Vancouver
- Continuous fluctuation of transborder service out of Vancouver - no more Miami, Boston, Chicago (years ago), San Diego status always changing, and now California all Rouge.
- How much capacity does United have out of Vancouver to Denver, Chicago, California, etc. compared to Air Canada? And, did TED ever fly to Vancouver?

Specifically with the transborder routes, some routes certainly could make sense for Rouge, but I guess that Air Canada is content to send a good portion of their business travel over to United and other carriers.
Old May 14, 14, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Exclamation

For those of you who´ve asked:

AC has permitted Benjybl / Ben Lipsey to act as an official company representative on FT. He should soon receive an official green handle - like the other AC reps.

That should eliminate the need to post any related questions.

Thanks,

Jasper2009
Air Canads Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: