Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Third and final request.

What would it take to gets specific UA routes into the flight pass program. For example if the western continental flight pass we're able to offer YYC-DEN services, then my company would buy a lot of them.

I realize that offer the full UA network is not possible, but certain specific route (YYC-IAH and DeN would really help out pulling more travel over to AC. For example we also fly to YYZ and YHZ very frequently with about half the travellers going WS.
You could add YYZ..... Hamburg/Berlin to latitude flight passes as a thought as well.

Another thought for flight passes. Why can we not book preferred seats on-line when booking. I always need to call in to get those seats.
Old May 16, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by 767300ER
The confirmation that the 777's will keep 42 J seats in the new config is great

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
He never said that, I think he is just saying there won't be a big drop.
Quoted by Ben

On the refurbishment of our initial 18 77W/77L aircraft I can tell you the following:
Business Class will be our improved and advanced POD which will debut on our 788/789 fleet - the number of seats will not materially change vs what we offer today on those 18 aircraft
Old May 16, 2014, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
Look for additional price points in both flex, tango and flight pass products but our former fixed price differential between tango and flex was not working for us from a revenue management perspective.
I think the biggest issue is that AC has increases the price to get the exact same product (T+/Flex, i.e. 100% miles, advance seat selection, upgradable fare) by 50%-100% on most routes (in some cases even more than 100%) in just over 2 years while expecting FFers to just go along with it while offering absolutely nothing in return.

Furthermore, AC decided the best approach was to not give any advance notice when downgrading certain fare classes from Flex to Tango - this happened at least twice within one year.

I think most FFers are reasonable enough to understand that offering a fare category that offers fewer benefits than Flex makes sense from AC´s point of view, and I´m quite confident most people wouldn´t have complained about a 10%-20% price increase in Flex fares. Many companies and individuals may even put up with a 30%-40% fare increase, but 100%?

I´m not surprised about the large number of companies that have started to disallow the purchase of Flex fares and individuals taking their business elsewhere.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:36 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SM-G900W8 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by kwflyer
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Point taken, but consider that the segment of the FF population that actively hangs about on here probably hovers around 1%. Even if you are active and are on here every day, there are thousands of others who are not. So if we were to publish the upgrade scheme, and if that managed to somehow integrate itself into the minds of all of our customers, that is the list by which they would expect to be upgraded.

Now, I'm sure many of you have met the DYKWIA types, indeed there are numerous threads on here illustrating their behaviour in their natural habitat; if you then take it one step further and assume the DYKWIA knows the 'old' upgrade system but hasn't yet familiarised him- or herself with the 'new' one -- well I'm sure you can imagine the scene that would unfold at the boarding gate. (Of course later to be transposed on here and met with a series of )
I recall a famous Queens marketing prof who always said: ''having a clear value proposition is never a bad thing''. Another prof (also at Queens) always said that your best customers are almost always representative for a much larger sample of its customer base when it comes to AIO (attitudes, interests, and opinions). Both taught at the undergraduate level as well. Never hesitated to hire marketing grads from Queens as they always understood those fundamental marketing principles.
Ken Wong?
Old May 16, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: A/C SE 100K(*G), WS Gold, marriott gold, Fairmont Plat, Hilton gold,starwood plat
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
IMEX on Tuesday?
I doubt very much AC is involved in IMEX, they don't have a functioning group department. I can tell you from trying to work with them, act of frustration. +1 for AC either publishing the eup process and or publish the list. The presence on FT might be to little to late for some who have already directed spend to other airlines. It is a step in hopefully a better direction, wow a valuable enhancement.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I think the biggest issue is that AC has increases the price to get the exact same product (T+/Flex, i.e. 100% miles, advance seat selection, upgradable fare) by 50%-100% on most routes (in some cases even more than 100%) in just over 2 years while expecting FFers to just go along with it while offering absolutely nothing in return.

Furthermore, AC decided the best approach was to not give any advance notice when downgrading certain fare classes from Flex to Tango - this happened at least twice within one year.

I think most FFers are reasonable enough to understand that offering a fare category that offers fewer benefits than Flex makes sense from AC´s point of view, and I´m quite confident most people wouldn´t have complained about a 10%-20% price increase in Flex fares. Many companies and individuals may even put up with a 30%-40% fare increase, but 100%?

I´m not surprised about the large number of companies that have started to disallow the purchase of Flex fares and individuals taking their business elsewhere.
Couldn't have put this better myself.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
We delete posts that are openly offensive, if they contain profanity or are personal. These are fairly standard guidelines for monitoring and managing social media postings.
AC Mainline seems less liberal with deleting critical posts, so your answer seems accurate there, but AC rouge allows much less dialogue on their Facebook page. Not sure if they are run by the same team, but the rouge team seems to have been very busy deleting reasonable concerns rather than addressing them.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
It is laudable that AC has made an effort to interact with its customer base on social media. However, it would be more effective if AC execs went out into the field and saw their airline in action and talked with the pax. I'm not being snotty about this, as the client experience execs at major service industry firms do this. The senior leadership at Accor, KLM etc. go out and mingle with their client base. I believe that this will accomplish far more than all the chit chat via social media. It's one thing to read about lineups for the lav on a B777HD and quite another to experience it complete with smellarama. The real life experience flying as a regular pax puts the social media comments in perspective. Less meetings at the office and more field visits please.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:25 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I think the vision is there, and its quite clear. I think the problem is most people here don't like the vision.

Appart from the LAV issue, I think AC was right for their use of the 77HD, and full pax loads confirms it.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

It's just revenue management - presumably there are enough people buying Flex fares at the higher prices such that the increases are justified. It sucks for FFers that previously enjoyed the fact that Flex fares were apparently underpriced relatively to the benefits, but it's AC's prerogative to charge whatever they want. The only way to affect change is to stop buying Flex tickets!

My company has a modified lowest fare policy, so if AC Flex happens to be the lowest fare I can buy it. Of course if UA is offering S T L or other fare classes for >$100 less I am SOL.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by acysb87
Another thought for flight passes. Why can we not book preferred seats on-line when booking. I always need to call in to get those seats.
Not that I'm saying this is a good solution, but you can enter the booking reference in the regular manage bookings area and select them that way.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Quote:
The confirmation that the 777's will keep 42 J seats in the new config is great

Quoted by Ben

On the refurbishment of our initial 18 77W/77L aircraft I can tell you the following:
Business Class will be our improved and advanced POD which will debut on our 788/789 fleet - the number of seats will not materially change vs what we offer today on those 18 aircraft
As winnipegrev said and you quoted, Ben didn't promise 42 J seats in the new config. He said “the number of seats will not materially change”. That still means we're likely losing a some seats, just not many.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE; Bonvoy Titanium
Hi Ben,

Having someone from AC in this forum actually made me sign up myself. I fly between Europe and Canada at least once a month and have my experiences with basically all carriers offering the trip.

I started on LH but walked away from their inferior J seats. With the pods AC has a still a good offering even compared to the new LH or Austrian business class.

And looking at the amount of people flying LH, LX, OS or even BA I know that there is a large amount of opportunities out there for AC.
However AC is simply not thinking of international customers.
Take the flight passes for example. I (and some people I know) could use them, but we are not allowed to buy them without residing in Canada. That also makes some of the choice privileges worthless.

But the most annoying thing for frequent international flyers is the food. There are basically no changes to the menu since forever. And if you are not a big fan of fish (which applies to many people) the starter is worthless as well.
LH, BA and especially Austrian are miles ahead. I sometimes fly with them just to get a change.

And please. Can you encourage your colleagues to get some extra J pillows on board!!!!

Although some people here might not like to hear that, but personally I believe AC should also restrict priority boarding to Elite 50K and higher and maybe consider separate boarding for SE's. I have seen flights with 80% of the people in the priority lane.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CanTraveller
Although some people here might not like to hear that, but personally I believe AC should also restrict priority boarding to Elite 50K and higher and maybe consider separate boarding for SE's. I have seen flights with 80% of the people in the priority lane.
That will have to wait until they kill off E35K, to better align with their partners
Old May 16, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Like all international companies, we have the usual assortment of Road warriors(small group), occasional traveller with 1-3 business trips, and desk bound employee. The problem facing our company is rooted in the fact that more employees are transitioning from desk bound to occasional traveller status. The new occasional flyer is travelling with the road warrior and they want the same perks. The road warrior pays for flex fare are gets upgraded due to status. However the occasional flyer tries to get paid j with VP approval under the business case the occasional traveller is working with the road warrior and they have long legs. Internal audit and the CFO are looking at the travel cost escalation, however the only way to cost optimize is to move everyone to Tango class, a decision my company has not implemented yet. Our travel costs are increasing because the larger occasional travel group does not have the FFP status of the road warrior.
Sober second thought. Sorry for long winded post, I wasn't even drinking last night.

For clarity, The situation at my company is that a small group of occasional travellers are putting the whole travel program at risk simply by flying paid J (in violation of the Corp Travel Policy) on domestic and transborder travel. The Finance and cost control people are fearing that flying paid J could become an expensive perk for all occasional flyers. The cost effective solution I (as Internal Auditor) would like to implement is to offer an "upgrade" to preferred seats to all flyers. However the current information on aircanada.com does not lend itself to explaining the new seating initiatives to the uniformed executive who has about 5 minutes to be convinced.

While I recognize the effect on AC bottom line would be to put a hand full of paid J flyers into economy, there is a larger positive impact of bringing a larger group into the Preferred Seat cabin and onto AC from WS. Some department heads have their employees fly WS simply because it avoids the Paid J cost risk to the travel expense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.