Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 9:35 pm

Welcome to Ben Lipsey and Ben Smith. I appreciate your willingness to jump into the fray.

IMO most people want to know that their concerns are being heard. And up until now, it has not seemed that way. Kudos to AC for deciding to engage FT's in a discussion.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
redemption/upgrade programs in the works
Are there any other fare classes that can be used as a PE redemption class?
(other than F, which is presumably not wanted for obvious reasons as it is revenue first class on almost every other *A airline.)
Old May 15, 2014, 9:39 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Ben (or Ben), I know I am in a small minority, but when I read upthread of people calling and waiting on the phone, all I can think of is "I wish". I am ultra-grateful for the cheerful and resourceful AC and AC Altitude Twitter team, and if this presence on FT keeps up, that will be a delight. But for booking complicated reservations, fixing errors, and such, I read on FT about things people do to "simply" contact AC, and I cannot. Like 1% of the population, I am deaf.
AC offers deaf passengers access by TTY, or "TDD", an older name for the same obsolete device. Deaf people have not used TTYs in over 10 years. Many of us have thrown them out. When last I attempted to call AC on TTY, the number was always either busied out or set to auto-answer. I was never able to reach the airline. But that issue has become irrelevant since I tossed mine long ago. Even TDI, the international non-profit organization established to promote the use of TTYs no longer speaks of them. Like other deaf people, I use SMS and email. (In the US, deaf people also use video relay, but we do not have it in Canada yet.)
My bank, my health insurance, and my family doctor, among others, offer secure messaging to enable clients to login and identify, then send and receive inquiries that are answered asynchronously, but within similar response standards as telephones on hold. A low-tech alternative is to allocate an email or SMS contact to the Aeroplan members self-identified on their profile as deaf, in the same way you assign Elite member contact numbers. This number wouldn't need to be answered as quickly as SE100K, but no slower than voice phone callback time.
Now, when I had expressed a concern to AC about a troublesome set of reservations that arose from this unresolved barrier to my equal access, the response from the disability services point person said how that would be nice, but they're prioritizing buying new airplanes, and so they have no plans to make it possible for deaf customers to communicate securely other than the plain vanilla online booking. Their only suggestion for complex bookings was... go in person to a travel agent. Not only does that involve taking an hour away from work, but it prevents me from using Manage My Bookings among other things. Funny enough, each time I end up doing that, I end up booking other airlines.
That is outrageous in all kinds of ways, and I continue to hope that it will be fixed before I have time on my schedule to get on a CTA or Human Rights complaint. I want to thank you for your candid and interactive responses on the forum, and wanted to share this particular concern while the portal into this alternate dimension remains open, since I have fewer communication options than forum-mates upthread. Can you give me any hope?
I'll have to admit I'm not an expert in this field but your request sounds reasonable so let me see what we can do to better address your needs.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:40 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Are there any other fare classes that can be used as a PE redemption class?
(other than F, which is presumably not wanted for obvious reasons as it is revenue first class on almost every other *A airline.)
We're trying to align with the rest of star.
O First
I Business Class
TBD Premium Economy
X Economy
Old May 15, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by gcashin
Ben and Ben,

Many thanks for the open dialogue - much appreciated.
I very much agree. Great to have you both here actively engaging us! ^

Originally Posted by gcashin
I'd suggest taking a closer look at your Tango vs. Flex premiums, as my belief is that many travelers and employers are deciding that Flex fares are not worth the current premium.
This is a challenging one.
Flyers and companies are often in conflict over how best to manage travel costs. It always amazes me how well paid employees are often forced to wait or take less optimal routings to save small amounts of money which in my books is false economy. The strong desire of many travel managers, corporate fulfilment houses and GDS companies to try and commoditize travel makes it challenging for us to offer you as many choices as possible. However we will continue to try and expand our choice offerings so that travellers and companies can customize their purchases to match their individual needs.
Respectfully, I think the point about false economy, while true, is actually not relevant here. When it comes to Tango vs Flex, we're not talking about taking a flight that goes from A to B to C to D just to save $500; we're talking about A to D but in 2 different fare buckets. There was a time when the fare difference between Tango & Flex (T & T+) was small enough yet the benefits big enough that the fare difference was quite justifiable. Now the fare difference is large enough and the benefits small enough that there's very little point paying for Flex. This is true regardless of whether your travel is corporately paid or personal.

There are many comments here which rightly point out that paying for Flex is in fact, false economy relative to simply purchasing Premium Economy or even a Z fare on some other carrier.

I understand the need and the desire for AC to squeeze as much revenue as possible from the customer. I can't think of any corporation that does not try to do this! But AC has enhanced certain things to the point where they no longer make basic business sense. The fare difference between Tango & Flex is one of those things.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
We're trying to align with the rest of star.
O First
I Business Class
TBD Premium Economy
X Economy
AC doesn't have first class
(I know those are the award codes for most other airlines as well as I myself have used AC as well as other *A miles to book awards.)
Old May 15, 2014, 9:43 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by mromalley
Welcome to Ben Lipsey and Ben Smith. I appreciate your willingness to jump into the fray.

IMO most people want to know that their concerns are being heard. And up until now, it has not seemed that way. Kudos to AC for deciding to engage FT's in a discussion.
We've always been here but have privately been encouraged by many of you to publically return in a more meaningful way. ben Lipsey will try and post on a daily basis and I'll do my best to drop in from time to time.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Regardless of my disappointment with AC (like 777HD, AVOD contents, etc.), Ben Lipsey and Ben Smith, Welcome to FT.

It is very rare for a top-tier airlines executive to engage with the frequent flyer community.

This is a "change" I like
Old May 15, 2014, 9:47 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I very much agree. Great to have you both here actively engaging us! ^

Respectfully, I think the point about false economy, while true, is actually not relevant here. When it comes to Tango vs Flex, we're not talking about taking a flight that goes from A to B to C to D just to save $500; we're talking about A to D but in 2 different fare buckets. There was a time when the fare difference between Tango & Flex (T & T+) was small enough yet the benefits big enough that the fare difference was quite justifiable. Now the fare difference is large enough and the benefits small enough that there's very little point paying for Flex. This is true regardless of whether your travel is corporately paid or personal.

There are many comments here which rightly point out that paying for Flex is in fact, false economy relative to simply purchasing Premium Economy or even a Z fare on some other carrier.

I understand the need and the desire for AC to squeeze as much revenue as possible from the customer. I can't think of any corporation that does not try to do this! But AC has enhanced certain things to the point where they no longer make basic business sense. The fare difference between Tango & Flex is one of those things.
Look for additional price points in both flex, tango and flight pass products but our former fixed price differential between tango and flex was not working for us from a revenue management perspective.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Ben (Smith) nice surprise to read all your posts today. Only today, many topics have been covered and answers responded... I hope you realize how nice it is for FT'ers to see AC back to this board on a real interactive mode. It is very much appreciated. I hope it will be the start of a new collaboration between AC and FT. Hope it will last

I understand you won't spend your evenings chatting here but knowing that you could become a regular in addition to the other AC official and unofficial people already around is a big plus.

Look forward to see the new 787 interior on Tuesday. I see the conversion plans for the rest of the 777's as good news as the main International fleet will share a common standard. The confirmation that the 777's will keep 42 J seats in the new config is great

The worldwide trend is to have tighter space in Y (price driven market) so I am not surprised to see AC doing the same and believe it is a good decision.

There was no announcement for re-furbishing the A-330 (as expected) when do you believe they will leave the fleet ?

Also revisiting Flex vs Tango fare (Asian routes mostly) and maybe adding more flexibility (as the name refer) when making change would be also well received.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by 767300ER
The confirmation that the 777's will keep 42 J seats in the new config is great
He never said that, I think he is just saying there won't be a big drop.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:51 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Ben (Smith) nice surprise to read all your posts today. Only today, many topics have been covered and answers responded... I hope you realize how nice it is for FT'ers to see AC back to this board on a real interactive mode. It is very much appreciated. I hope it will be the start of a new collaboration between AC and FT. Hope it will last

I understand you won't spend your evenings chatting here but knowing that you could become a regular in addition to the other AC official and unofficial people already around is a big plus.

Look forward to see the new 787 interior on Tuesday. I see the conversion plans for the rest of the 777's as good news as the main International fleet will share a common standard. The confirmation that the 777's will keep 42 J seats in the new config is great

The worldwide trend is to have tighter space in Y (price driven market) so I am not surprised to see AC doing the same and believe it is a good decision.

There was no announcement for re-furbishing the A-330 (as expected) when do you believe they will leave the fleet ?

Also revisiting Flex vs Tango fare and maybe adding more flexibility (as the name refer) when making change would be also well received.
We're currently studying our long-term plans for our mainline A330 and B-767-300ER fleets and once we have greater visibility a decision will be made on whether to make any interior modifications.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Regardless of my disappointment with AC (like 777HD, AVOD contents, etc.), Ben Lipsey and Ben Smith, Welcome to FT.

It is very rare for a top-tier airlines executive to engage with the frequent flyer community.

This is a "change" I like
+1

Great to see you back on here Ben. Customer engagement at the Exec level is rare, but oh so popular with members when it's done right, Hyatt's Jeff Zidell probably the best example of it.

AC was within spitting range of the Freddie for Best Elite Program this year, but between E+, the new J seat, improved ground service and this renewed engagement you guys have a great shot at it next year. Add in some better mobile Apps and a little more transparency, and it should be a lock for you in Atlanta next year.

Last edited by rehoult; May 15, 2014 at 10:02 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 15, 2014, 10:02 pm

Also revisiting Flex vs Tango fare (Asian routes mostly) and maybe adding more flexibility (as the name refer) when making change would be also well received.
Couldn't agree more with this. Re-branding as Flex is one of the more ambitious spin attempts I've seen and made me wonder if there were bets in RM on how much BS could be pulled in one go. With a $200 change fee to the US, I can't imagine a word that suits it less than 'Flex'.

OTOH, if you changed it to add free SDC, you could now better justify the (sometime) significant Tango-Flex difference while also being able to call it Flex without laughing.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:04 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
+1

Great to see you back on here Ben. Customer engagement at the Exec level is rare, but oh so popular with members when it's done right, Hyatt's Jeff Zidell probably the best example of it.

AC was within spitting range of the Freddie for Best Elite Program this year, but between E+, the new J seat, improved ground service and this renewed engagement you guys have a great shot at it next year. Add in some better mobile Apps and a little more transparency, and it should be a lock for you in Atlanta next year.
Both coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.