Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Allvest
Why would Ben spend time here if FT is of minuscule significance? I just don't get this piece of logic and it literally keeps me up at night. And I don't even get paid for being here.

My thoughts only. He is a dedicated Company employee who loves the industry he is in and the company he works for. As I just said in another post, AC gets their customer feedback from various and many sources with FT being one of them in an ever decreasing level of interest if you notice the total absence of their two former major contributors, Andrew and Ben S. I also think Ben L. might soon be history as well. You might see an AC presence here when they make major announcements like the 2016 program or similar announcements that affect passengers. They do know that a very small % of their pax post here.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hello again
My thoughts only. He is a dedicated Company employee who loves the industry he is in and the company he works for. As I just said in another post, AC gets their customer feedback from various and many sources with FT being one of them in an ever decreasing level of interest if you notice the total absence of their two former major contributors, Andrew and Ben S. I also think Ben L. might soon be history as well.
Andrew, was my impression at the time, was thrown under the bus by management. I can't recall the exact issues but it appeared he communicated good and simple intentions or made announcements which were not followed by the company. As far as I know he wasn't beraded the way Ben L has set himself up to be.

Ben S is part of the whole problem. He is senior management and his decisions are crystal clear in that the customer comes last. he couldn't possibly be considered an ambassador.

Ben L, well, his Forum persona is just clumsy. Nothing else to say.

I don't think AC reps are given the tools to do useful work on FT.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Andrew, was my impression at the time, was thrown under the bus by management. I can't recall the exact issues but it appeared he communicated good and simple intentions or made announcements which were not followed by the company. As far as I know he wasn't beraded the way Ben L has set himself up to be.

Ben S is part of the whole problem. He is senior management and his decisions are crystal clear in that the customer comes last. he couldn't possibly be considered an ambassador.

Ben L, well, his Forum persona is just clumsy. Nothing else to say.

I don't think AC reps are given the tools to do useful work on FT.
Having met Ben Smith and know him since approximately 2003,my perception of him is different than yours. IMO, he has listened .(my questions at least)

Do not know Ben L but do hope to meet him some day
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by acysb87
Having met Ben Smith and know him since approximately 2003,my perception of him is different than yours. IMO, he has listened .(my questions at least)

Do not know Ben L but do hope to meet him some day
Ben S says he listens and actually confirmed that AC has taken things from FT discussions and implemented them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23738496-post69.html
"the reason we participate here is to share some of our thinking and hear opinions from our customers on what improvements and/or changes they would like to see. We have listened to many of the various suggestions from this board and over the past few months when appropriate have instituted several ideas that came directly from FT members. "

Whereas his underling says that FT doesn't count.

Which is it?

And I really don't care if these guys are "nice". I am not trying to be friends with them. I care about the relevance of their messages and their consistency and honesty in transmitting them.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Hello again
Ben L does this on his own time and has tried mightily to have open dialogue with AC PASSENGERS.
His presence here is not his own time. His position 'requires' public engagement and that figures into his overall compensation. I didn't think he is being paid by the hour. Its like saying his attendance at parties, dinners, outings with colleagues, business partners, suppliers or even customers is on his own time.
His situation is not unique as all managers "step out of the office" and most professionals carry their work home and elsewhere. Lets face it, this thread and forum is not about how best to fly a kite and he contributes for your enjoyment. Important to know how much of his own time he provides to the remaining 99.9999999% of AC's pax.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Ben S says he listens and actually confirmed that AC has taken things from FT discussions and implemented them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23738496-post69.html
"the reason we participate here is to share some of our thinking and hear opinions from our customers on what improvements and/or changes they would like to see. We have listened to many of the various suggestions from this board and over the past few months when appropriate have instituted several ideas that came directly from FT members. "

Whereas his underling says that FT doesn't count.

Which is it?

And I really don't care if these guys are "nice". I am not trying to be friends with them. I care about the relevance of their messages and their consistency and honesty in transmitting them.
BenL fabricated the term "force change", as if one of us had said it. That is what he is arguing against.

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Two way street?

You complain when people take your explicit claim at face value, then complain about statements that were never made.

Sure, I accept that you meant to be hyperbolic and inadvertently used the wrong word. But you should not be surprised, nor offended, when people take a precise value preceded by the word "literally" as a statement of literal fact.

But then you go on to repeatedly claim that someone has stated that FT was able to "force" AC to make changes. That's your word, and you are the only person who has used it in this discussion.

I very specifically and carefully chose the word "effected", and from all appearances it appears to be an appropriate choice. There have been several times when Air Canada representatives have used phrases like "we heard you", and I think on one occasion even used a phrase similar to "loud and clear."

Regardless, there have been many cases over the years where Air Canada has made changes to the FF program, benefits, etc, that seem directly in line with complaints or concerns that were previously raised in this forum. No, FT did not "force" the changes, but it seems FT was often one of the (or the only) proximate cause of the changes, even if all FT did was initiate interest in the eyes of people (at Air Canada) who were able to "force" the changes. That is, FT effected the change.

Yes, it's possible that in every case the changes would have been made even if FT did not exist, though that seems improbable. But if that is the case, it would suggest that the AC forum on FT is astonishingly representative of either Air Canada management, Air Canada passengers in general, or both.

I'd suggest the root of you problems in/with this thread have to do with sloppy language. You used the wrong word to suggest something you apparently didn't mean to, and then, inadvertently or otherwise, set up a straw man to attack when you misread someone else's post.

If you're going to use FT or any other public forum as a communication channel, I'd suggest that your language needs to be a lot more precise, in both directions.
As always, very well said Ken. Couldn't agree more.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
His presence here is not his own time. His position 'requires' public engagement and that figures into his overall compensation. I didn't think he is being paid by the hour. Its like saying his attendance at parties, dinners, outings with colleagues, business partners, suppliers or even customers is on his own time.
His situation is not unique as all managers "step out of the office" and most professionals carry their work home and elsewhere. Lets face it, this thread and forum is not about how best to fly a kite and he contributes for your enjoyment. Important to know how much of his own time he provides to the remaining 99.9999999% of AC's pax.
Woah, that's a lot of passengers.

That's like nearly one billion times more than the ones on FT.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Personally, I don't get the direction in which this thread is going. It appears that, on the subject of the AC involvement (more specifically, Ben's involvement), there are 2 different groups. Those that appreciate the un-edited direct feedback, and those that don't. It seems to me that the solution is very simple. If you appreciate the posts that Ben makes, read them. If you don't appreciate it, and don't respect him, then just ignore him. If you disagree with what he says, then debate what he says. The personal attacks do nothing to increase the credibility of the author of the attack.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Jul 3, 2015 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:45 pm
Original Member

Personally, I don't get the direction in which this thread is going. It appears that, on the subject of the AC involvement (more specifically, participants' responses to various claims), there are 2 different groups. Those that appreciate the un-edited direct feedback, and those that don't.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:45 pm

This thread is good for some LOLs at this point. No useful info.

If there's anything left of this fly-picked horse carcass, maybe it should just be locked and call it a day.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Woah, that's a lot of passengers.

That's like nearly one billion times more than the ones on FT.
999,999,999 times, to be exact.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
...FT represents a small fraction of our customers...
FT may contain a small fraction of your customers, but I suspect it "represents" a very much larger group.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
If I worked for an airline or a hotel or a car rental company or a travel agency, I would view FT as a way to get completely free and brutally honest feedback from a bunch of peeps who actually know and understand not only my product but those of my competitors. As such, I would try to cultivate a relationship of sorts to encourage a continuous flow of feedback and suggestions which I could then use to improve my product offerings.

But I guess that's just me.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Personally, I don't get the direction in which this thread is going. It appears that, on the subject of the AC involvement (more specifically, participants' responses to various claims), there are 2 different groups. Those that appreciate the un-edited direct feedback, and those that don't.
Maybe someone should do a poll and find out what FT members prefer?
The number of responses will also give an idea of how many are following this thread without actively posting (like me).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
If I worked for an airline or a hotel or a car rental company or a travel agency, I would view FT as a way to get completely free and brutally honest feedback from a bunch of peeps who actually know and understand not only my product but those of my competitors. As such, I would try to cultivate a relationship of sorts to encourage a continuous flow of feedback and suggestions which I could then use to improve my product offerings.
There are other groups here where there is a company presence. The Sixt group is one of them. Some airlines too.

On the whole they do a fair job of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.