AC Presence on FT

Old Jun 28, 15, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Then you and I are not flying the same Air Canada. Not only are the zone boarding and bag measuring threads full of recent examples of these ideas not working equally across the network, I and others have heard otherwise regarding "liking" from employees.

It will not improve over time unless there is consistency of deployment. Part of this consistency will come from all staff following the same set of rules. Another part will come from fliers who will finally figure out how to read their BPs. The physical space at the gate gate areas are also a challenge as they are not all well-designed or set up to handle the lines for the zones, which is not ACs fault. Still, there is room for improvement.
The zone system still needs some work which I am sure they are working on but it was a good start to making for a better boarding approach. Rules are the same but each airport is different and each has issues that sometimes make the system a bit irrational. That will be adjusted over time.

As for what you hear form employees I might react that but in a company with thousands of employees you will get some negative types but in general, recently, with new union agreements things are much bette morale wise as the union BS has gone away.
Old Jun 28, 15, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
I too fly on a weekly basis, and I would agree with 24left that I don't think we fly the same Air Canada. The air crew have been pretty good in my experience, but the ground crew (especially GAs) seem to make up their own rules as they go. Some stations do zonal boarding by the book, some don't. I have yet to experience zone 1 boarding strictly enforced on even one complete itinerary. You can look up other threads to find examples of frustrating experience that many have gone through with the ground crew.

The aircraft purchase example you brought up is a capital expenditure, and requires long term planning regardless of whether you have a short term or long term mindset. Short term measures to increase profit - nickel and dime each customer to increase ancillary revenue. Yes, it will always work in the short term, but once customers are well trained to avoid the fees, are they going to then introduce further schemes to nickel and dime? If there are competition in Canada, consumers would have alternative options and it wouldn't be so bad. The lack of competition and the nickel and dime is what frustrates customers because they don't have a choice. The ground crew whose job is to enforce the nickel and dime measures then get the brunt of the backlash. Vicious cycle.
1. On 4 flights i took last week all in major CDN markets the zone boarding was strictly followed and went smoothly. That may simply mean they are getting better with time

2. The nickle and diming you speak about is stuff the industry in general is doing. So, changing carriers may give you some comfort but in the end the are all about the same with ancillary charges. In the meantime BIS on AC are growing pretty nicely as are fares. I don't see sort term thinking I see an industry responding to favorable market conditions. As a FF you should easily understand that.
Old Jun 28, 15, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
TO "Hello again",

Since we are having such a nice "dance" here, I shall continue.....

You have no idea what I or anyone else on this forum hears from AC employees, nor do we hear what you do.
(BTW, I have encountered only one seriously nasty GA in the past year - who nearly had another AC employee for lunch - and one slightly rude GA more recently.)

It is not the roll-eyes I see in response to the red bag tag adventure that are an issue, as I find them amusing.

Rather, it is the words of exasperation and frustration that I've heard that concern me more than anger me. Union agreements have nothing to do with any of this. Here's a clue: pax yelling at GAs and other employees about why they can't board with their collection of bags. Or, as YYT82 wrote: "The ground crew whose job is to enforce the nickel and dime measures then get the brunt of the backlash." Exactly right and I don't see how the company is helping or protecting them.

Sure, things have improved to the extent that I have not recently seen anyone lugging on a piano case or a shipping container.

---

I choose to embrace optimism in these parts and will vent loudly when I think certain problems are preventable and others can be dealt with more efficiently than they are.

Otherwise, since the title of this thread is "New AC Presence on FT", I will now return this discussion to the case of the missing Ben L.

Last edited by 24left; Jun 29, 15 at 7:37 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 29, 15, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: No pride in status
AC PR Gaffes

Remember this fiasco?

http://threadtripping.boardingarea.c...titude-battle/

and yes, it all boils down to this:

"Usually calling your customers the problem is a gaffe, not a strategy. Air Canada should be applauded for their honesty, at least."
(http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-seen-airline/)

Ben L keeps a low profile because he simply is neither trained nor qualified to handle the massive Air Canada customer insults and devaluations he has to justify. It becomes a total farce when he gets into an argumentation over it, and has resulted in more than one FT suspension to save him from totally retreating.
Old Jun 29, 15, 7:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan Black, HHonors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SearsTower View Post
Ben also responds to PMs after normal business hours. I really appreciated his comments. I also agree that maybe sometimes he was to loose with his words, but he is after all human. I really miss his regular comments, but understand why he has cut back.
+1
Old Jun 29, 15, 7:32 am

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
I am not, in any way, happy with the Altitude 2015 changes.

I have flown 6 TATL flights in the past couple of months, and because I'm saving my few eupgrades for some upcoming TPACs, the only TATL upgrade I had was one op-up (due to overbooked Y) from LHR. That's a dramatic devaluation in service & value over prior years, and it's resulted in me booking far more Tango fares than I ever have before.

To me, the Altitude 2015 changes were an obvious win for the short-term bean counters at AC, over those who care about longer term loyalty. It's easy for AC to be happy about their current numbers, but it will be very interesting to see what happens when the next inevitable downturn happens.

All that being true ... I would much rather hear the truth {from Ben or Andrew or whoever} about what is being done - much better that, than the carefully wordsmithed marketing manure that the "Air Canada Altitude" official account used to feed us.

Perhaps it's just me, but I prefer to be treated like an adult. I recognize that I may not like the message, and I may disagree with the motivation ... but I would rather be given a blunt, adult message, about the reasoning behind a change (even if it's a reasoning that I think is flawed) ... than to be given a positive sounding marketing spin.

The argument that public messaging should only be carefully done by trained professionals, who will obviously mind their words with caution, appears to have won out.

But to me, that's a loss.

Given a choice, I would prefer to hear blunt honesty - and to see a corresponding respect of the speaker, certainly not crowds gathering around to shoot & beat the messenger.

Sadly, that appears to be impossible on FT today.

It's too bad.
Old Jun 29, 15, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, SPG LT PLT
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
I am not, in any way, happy with the Altitude 2015 changes.

To me, the Altitude 2015 changes were an obvious win for the short-term bean counters at AC, over those who care about longer term loyalty. It's easy for AC to be happy about their current numbers, but it will be very interesting to see what happens when the next inevitable downturn happens.

All that being true ... I would much rather hear the truth {from Ben or Andrew or whoever} about what is being done - much better that, than the carefully wordsmithed marketing manure that the "Air Canada Altitude" official account used to feed us.

Perhaps it's just me, but I prefer to be treated like an adult. I recognize that I may not like the message, and I may disagree with the motivation ... but I would rather be given a blunt, adult message, about the reasoning behind a change (even if it's a reasoning that I think is flawed) ... than to be given a positive sounding marketing spin.

The argument that public messaging should only be carefully done by trained professionals, who will obviously mind their words with caution, appears to have won out.

But to me, that's a loss.

Given a choice, I would prefer to hear blunt honesty - and to see a corresponding respect of the speaker, certainly not crowds gathering around to shoot & beat the messenger.

Sadly, that appears to be impossible on FT today.

It's too bad.
+1
Old Jun 29, 15, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Allvest View Post
Remember this fiasco?

http://threadtripping.boardingarea.c...titude-battle/

and yes, it all boils down to this:

"Usually calling your customers the problem is a gaffe, not a strategy. Air Canada should be applauded for their honesty, at least."
(http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-seen-airline/)

Ben L keeps a low profile because he simply is neither trained nor qualified to handle the massive Air Canada customer insults and devaluations he has to justify. It becomes a total farce when he gets into an argumentation over it, and has resulted in more than one FT suspension to save him from totally retreating.
Indeed. Why put yourself through a cognitive dissonance funnel (skip the disney training bond) when you can pander to the lizard brain and stay silent while lurking on here to find other ways to 'enhance' AC?

Much easier to fill those excel spreedsheets that way.

Last edited by kwflyer; Jun 29, 15 at 11:33 am
Old Jun 29, 15, 1:31 pm
formerly with Air Canada
Original Poster

Appreciate the kind words! I'm still here, I was just on vacation
Old Jun 29, 15, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey View Post
How dare you go on holidays and not let us know.
Old Jun 29, 15, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Might I recommend an out of office note like the Starwood Lurkers? You had me and others scared there for a few days Ben!
Old Jun 29, 15, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
In your absence Hello Again has taken over your role and then some.
Old Jun 29, 15, 2:49 pm

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Ok.

Now that you are back, as compensation for leaving the forum without notice, I would require a compensation of 50 eUps, 2x 25% discount codes, and a 787 model.

Oh I almost forgot. The IFE had to be reset on my last flight, so could you please make that 3x 25% codes?

Thanks.

Edit: And welcome back.
Old Jun 29, 15, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Vacation, how dare you!

Welcome back.
Old Jun 29, 15, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG-G Aeroplan Status Pending