Search

Seniors discount being phased out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2002, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Seniors discount being phased out

From today's Winnipeg Free Press:

Seniors fly full price

MONTREAL -- Air Canada has joined the lead of several American carriers by dropping discounts for seniors on some of its routes.
For years, travellers older than 60 years old received a 10-per-cent discount on all tickets bought from Air Canada. Canada's dominant carrier will cancel the discount effective today on flights to the United States. Discounts for flights within Canada and to other international destinations remain in effect for now.

------------------
I miss Canadian Airlines
Old Jul 17, 2002, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds like the snowbirds are being targeted.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 8:32 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
20 years ago a Senior’s discount was fair, as the majority of Seniors were on a reduced income. Those approaching their senior years now, are quite possibly the richest generation we have ever known; also they are the most numerous.

I believe we will be seeing more Senior discounts being phased out over the next few years, perhaps being replaced by enhanced Student Discounts.

From a commercial view, I don’t think AC should be overly criticised for this move.

Stewart.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
It's also a discount from full "Y"....which in itself is hardly a gratuity.

[This message has been edited by Carioca Canuck (edited 07-18-2002).]
Old Jul 18, 2002, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
That's ok. I'm in favour of seniors' discounts being replaced with enhanced student discounts
Old Jul 18, 2002, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carioca Canuck:
It's also a discount from full "Y"....which in itself is hardly a gratuity.

[This message has been edited by Carioca Canuck (edited 07-18-2002).]
</font>
I am a senior now according to AC The discount is 10% calculated on any fare.
I bought a Q ticket to Europe and got the 10% last week.

[This message has been edited by airbus320 (edited 07-18-2002).]
Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:06 am
Suspended

Really......my gawd.......a real discount !!!
I never checked their website...just assumed that it was that way as everything else seems to be.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out the United forum. The American Association of Retired Persons has lobbied against the withddrawal of the discount and has directed business to those airlines who offer a senior discount.
United reversed its decision.
I am a member of the Canadian Association of Retired Persons. I just sent them an e-mail alerting them to the AC withdrawal of senior's discount to the USA. Many seniors travel to the sunny south in the USA.
Let's see if there is Gray Power in Canada.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airbus320:
Check out the United forum. The American Association of Retired Persons has lobbied against the withddrawal of the discount and has directed business to those airlines who offer a senior discount.
United reversed its decision.
I am a member of the Canadian Association of Retired Persons. I just sent them an e-mail alerting them to the AC withdrawal of senior's discount to the USA. Many seniors travel to the sunny south in the USA.
Let's see if there is Gray Power in Canada.
</font>

you dont have to be a retired person to let your feelings be known - I fly my Mom twice a year domestically and this year to Europe when I went on business - the 10% savings came to $200 this year so far. She prefers AC because of the nonstop flights but is not adverse to spending a little time connecting if the policy change spreads to Canada/international flights, particularly if it will save money and result in an additional trip!

------------------
I miss Canadian Airlines
Old Jul 18, 2002, 1:26 pm

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I don't want to offend anyone, but after the problems I have had today with two elderly customers I am considering a Seniors Surcharge......

Stewart
Old Jul 18, 2002, 2:11 pm
Suspended

airbus320.....

Canadian Association of Retired Persons or C.A.R.P. for short.....

Carp: to find fault of complain querolously

SCMM.....
Old Jul 18, 2002, 2:40 pm
ALW

CC, synonyms, shurely!?

SCMM,

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Those approaching their senior years now, are quite possibly the richest generation we have ever known; also they are the most numerous.</font>
I agree with you, but I think that strength of numbers, and of dollars, will guarantee that they (soon "we") will continue to bully our way to the front of the line. Companies like AC will continue to offer the discounts, not because we're poor seniors on a fixed income, but on the contrary because we've got the money to spend; being &gt;60 is just an excuse (the way PC Magazine keeps offering me massive discounts because I'm an "influencer in my industry" or some such BS). Politicians will continue to pander to get the votes, and well-off seniors will receive pension payments they don't truly need, at the expense of both the next generations, and of those other seniors who actually need support.

andrew
Old Jul 18, 2002, 5:41 pm

What we will/are seeing is the market place changing, the likes of AC will have to get a lot better at dealing with hordes of grumpy, demanding, intolerant and possibly incontinent customers rolling around on their (our) automated wheelie things.

When I buy my wheelie thing I will certainly want it to go on the plane with me, it will need recharging during the flight and have to be ready for me at the other end.

I will have hemorrhoids and so will demand more comfortable seating or at the very least the provision of rubber rings to sit upon. I may require a massage on longer flights so as to avoid “bed sores”; naturally I will expect the FA assistance.

I may need my “Depends” changed during the flight; naturally I will expect the FA assistance.

I will need my food cut into very small pieces, and possibly be spoon-fed; naturally I will expect the FA assistance.

My arthritis will mean I simply have to have an aisle seat, my leg will stick out into the aisle throughout the flight.

I will need reminding to make my medication; naturally I will expect the FA assistance.

As I will need assistance the FA must be taught not to mumble.

And finally now, er, um ……. Miss, Miss, where am I going???????
Old Jul 18, 2002, 5:59 pm

Hmmm... that already sounds a lot like my trips.
Old Jul 19, 2002, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is what Brancatelli wrote about the senior's discount.

MOM, GRANDMA, APPLE PIE AND FARE INCREASES
Several major carriers tried to raise fares over the Fourth of July weekend. The attempt failed, but at least four airlines responded last weekend by eliminating their senior-citizen discounts. However, they steadfastly deny they'll be raising fares from the North Pole on December 24.

www.joesentme.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.