Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Getting an AC Seat with a UA Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

I am a UA platinun = SA Gold.

I have a flight to Toronto from the States - going up there on UA metal, returning on AC metal. The return flight is booked as an UA 8xxx flight. A single ticket for both flights, issued by United.

After my travel agent purchased the ticket, I was able to go to the UA web site and check on/get a better seat on the outbound. How do I do that for the AC flight? I don't have an Aeroplan number nor a AC reservation number. Is it possible to do in advance or am I at the mercy of whatever the travel agent / airline gives me (until check-in).
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends.

First, it depends upon the booking code. More precisely, it depends upon the AC booking code that the United booking code translates into. At the bottom end, AC charges separately for seat assignments. also, people with no seat assigned are the highest priority for involuntary denied boarding, i.e. bumped.

Plus, in order to get a seat assigned, at least, to do it on aircanada.com, you will need the AC booking refernce (locator), which differs from the UA one. If your TA is not too clueless, he might be able to find it.

Otherwise, you would need to call AC; you might after an hour waiting on the phone for an agent, end up talking to someone willing to help. Or not.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Stranger
Otherwise, you would need to call AC; you might after an hour waiting on the phone for an agent.
One way around this is if you can call the premier desk and ask them to transfer you over to AC they generally will put you in a priority queue to have your call answered

OP, your real options for seat selection are either online (at Aircanada.com) or calling in. UA seat selector tool does not work for AC flights.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I've booked AC seats on a UA ticket by asking them on Twitter. You need the AC PNR. If you tweet to @aircanada saying you need help getting a seat selection on flight X on date Y, they will follow you back and you can DM them.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:53 pm

Or call United to put you through with AC and do it over the phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.