Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Yayyy!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drdrma
My father and his spouse get TSA pre-check on their boarding card, don't know why, they are infrequent travelers. I got diverted to pre-check today, very nice.
TSA has been randomly providing Pre✓ for general public. Other threads have posts stating Pre✓ lines have flooded with folks who have no idea what they are doing. I normally just skip ahead while they take off their take off shoes/311 bag/laptops out.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by PDXracer
This is great news since I am flying PDX-YVR-YUL the first week of June (for F1)

Just got signed up with PreC last month.

Now if only I didnt have to pay a fortune to pick my seats. (waiting til day before to see if I can get my window seats)
Bad news - Portland is one of 7 airports AC flies from where PreCheck won't be available on opening day.

Anyone care to explain (or speculate) why these airports - MCI, DTW, PDX, CMH - aren't on the initial list? I'd guess terminal check-in equipment, maybe some older CUTE gear, or worse: AC computers that haven't upgraded? But I have no idea - would love to hear why. And...will UA/AC connections from one of the unnamed airports w/ PreCheck print a valid PreCheck boarding pass? e.g. ABQ-LAX-YVR? AC-AC? UA-AC? Will I have to reprint @ LAX for my In-n-Out burger run? Presser gave a vague "from certain connecting airports" comment.

Note: The seven are also ineligible for AC mobile boarding pass, but some PreCheck airports (HNL, MKE) are also no-go for mobile BP. TSA BP scanning equipment the issue?

Good news - despite online (and mobile?) check-in being broken on Day 1, you'll at least be notified that you're eligible for PreCheck - easier to plan my day w/ info.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by EdmontonTraveller
Bad news - Portland is one of 7 airports AC flies from where PreCheck won't be available on opening day.

Anyone care to explain (or speculate) why these airports - MCI, DTW, PDX, CMH - aren't on the initial list? I'd guess terminal check-in equipment, maybe some older CUTE gear, or worse: AC computers that haven't upgraded? But I have no idea - would love to hear why. And...will UA/AC connections from one of the unnamed airports w/ PreCheck print a valid PreCheck boarding pass? e.g. ABQ-LAX-YVR? AC-AC? UA-AC? Will I have to reprint @ LAX for my In-n-Out burger run? Presser gave a vague "from certain connecting airports" comment.

Note: The seven are also ineligible for AC mobile boarding pass, but some PreCheck airports (HNL, MKE) are also no-go for mobile BP. TSA BP scanning equipment the issue?

Good news - despite online (and mobile?) check-in being broken on Day 1, you'll at least be notified that you're eligible for PreCheck - easier to plan my day w/ info.

Thanks for any insight.
There are likely several factors at play here.

Some stations such as PDX, MCI, etc. are handled by UA. That is the reason you cannot OLCI for these airports. When I've flown from these airports I've received UA boarding passes (although that might not be common). There have been other situations where people checking in at these stations have had certain disadvantages (i.e. unable to add themselves to upgrade waitlists, etc. at the airport, etc.). I suspect that whatever system issue exists by UA handling these stations also impacts the pre-check data.

Terminal layout can also come into play. I recently flew through MCI, and found the layout to be quite intersting. On the concourse I was departing from, there were separate secure areas and screening lines for different groupings of 2-4 gates. At the screening area I went into for the AC flight there was 1 checkpoint, and that checkpoint had a single metal detector, x-ray scanner, etc. IIRC there were 3 gates in this departure area. I suspect that they would not add TSA lines for many of these smaller gate groupings, although could possibly have pre-check for some of the areas with a larger number of gates.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:56 pm

^ Good comments - list seems to align w/ OLCI list. Doesn't bode well for getting a printed BP w/ Precheck from a UA-only outpost, at least on an AC-AC itinerary. Maybe on a UA-AC ticket? Look forward to reading any reports....
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by EdmontonTraveller
^ Good comments - list seems to align w/ OLCI list. Doesn't bode well for getting a printed BP w/ Precheck from a UA-only outpost, at least on an AC-AC itinerary. Maybe on a UA-AC ticket? Look forward to reading any reports....
I would think anyone from Edmonton would just be immediately disqualified. They are just doomed to be punished. You folks just can't get TSA-Pre.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Flying today SFO-YVR on reward ticket; entered passid as both my APIS travel doc and as "known traveller" on electronic check in. No dice.

Delta, AA, USAir, UA all give me precheck when I provide my known traveller ID. Not sure if relevant, but I only carry *A gold, no others. I would have chalked this up to a transborder thing, but then again all AC flights that depart the US are transborder, so I guess I'm not trusted by AC or some other criteria didn't work out.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:03 pm

Underlining mine...

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Flying today SFO-YVR on reward ticket; entered passid as both my APIS travel doc and as "known traveller" on electronic check in. No dice.

Delta, AA, USAir, UA all give me precheck when I provide my known traveller ID. Not sure if relevant, but I only carry *A gold, no others. I would have chalked this up to a transborder thing, but then again all AC flights that depart the US are transborder, so I guess I'm not trusted by AC or some other criteria didn't work out.
Originally Posted by Air Canada Altitude

For launch, this indicator will only be available on boarding passes printed by an Air Canada agent, or at an Air Canada kiosk. If you use web check-in and are cleared for TSA Pre✓, you will be reminded to reprint your boarding pass at the airport. We’ll keep you posted as to when this indicator will also automatically appear on web check-in boarding passes, as well.
Did you try reprinting your BP at the airport?
Old May 1, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Underlining mine...

Did you try reprinting your BP at the airport?
I agree with the post. On line check-in will NOT get TSA precheck (with AC) for now; only airport check-in with agent or at kiosk.

However, if you go to airport and re-print the boarding pass, you may get TSA precheck indicated on the new boarding pass.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Air Canada Altitude
Hi everyone,

If you have been cleared for TSA Pre✓, you will see the ‘TSA PRECHK’ indicator on your printed Air Canada boarding pass. Your boarding pass will be scanned at the checkpoint, and you may be referred to a TSA Pre✓ lane.

For launch, this indicator will only be available on boarding passes printed by an Air Canada agent, or at an Air Canada kiosk. If you use web check-in and are cleared for TSA Pre✓, you will be reminded to reprint your boarding pass at the airport. We’ll keep you posted as to when this indicator will also automatically appear on web check-in boarding passes, as well.

How will I be "reminded" that I have to re-print the boarding pass at the airport, if I do get TSA Precheck with on-line check-in (or to put it another way, how I will I know if I get TSA Precheck with on-line check-in, if that status does not (for now) show up on an on-line check-in boarding pass)?
Old May 2, 2014, 5:59 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I agree with the post. On line check-in will NOT get TSA precheck (with AC) for now; only airport check-in with agent or at kiosk.

However, if you go to airport and re-print the boarding pass, you may get TSA precheck indicated on the new boarding pass.
Both online or mobile check-in will still get you Pre✓ if you're eligible and TSA clears you - there will be a note on the web boarding pass page or the check-in complete page on mobile informing you that you've been cleared and you'll need to reprint your boarding pass at the airport.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
How will I be "reminded" that I have to re-print the boarding pass at the airport, if I do get TSA Precheck with on-line check-in (or to put it another way, how I will I know if I get TSA Precheck with on-line check-in, if that status does not (for now) show up on an on-line check-in boarding pass)?
The exact text you'll see is:

"You've been cleared for TSA Pre✓™. To use this service at a participating airport you must reprint your boarding pass at a self service kiosk (where available) or see an agent."

If you don't see this text, reprinting at the airport will not get you Pre✓.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:03 am

AC doesn't determine if you're eligible or not (we have no control who gets it or not); TSA determines your eligibility on a flight by flight basis and no one is guaranteed to get it every time just because you have a known traveler number. We simply take the response from TSA and translate it into an appropriate indicator on the boarding pass.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Both online or mobile check-in will still get you Pre✓ if you're eligible and TSA clears you - there will be a note on the web boarding pass page or the check-in complete page on mobile informing you that you've been cleared and you'll need to reprint your boarding pass at the airport.
Andrew: Good to hear from you.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:32 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

The AC.com page does indicate that SFO will only be available at select times. Given there are about 12 hours between first and last AC flights to YVR, what time were you travelling?

It might be a good data point for me given I have a lunchtime SFO-YYZ flight in July.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.